There is nothing better than Air Fryer Fried Okra. If you have not tried it as yet, be sure to grab a package of fresh okra next time you are at the grocery store.
To be honest, I made it because everyone kept on asking me for a recipe for fried okra, and I was raised in an Italian Household. So, my mother never made Okra, we are northerners, this was the first time I have ever purchased or cooked okra.
But, surprisingly enough, it was a delicious late-night snack. I made a quick batch. And the air fryer does a great and quick job of quickly frying it up.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes, here are some of my favorites, AIR FRYER PARMESAN DILL PICKLE CHIPS, AIR FRYER CREAMY SPINACH, AND CHEESE BREAD, AIR FRYER ROASTED FETA & TOMATO TORTILLA, and AIR FRYER ARTICHOKE DIP.
How To Make Air Fryer Okra
One of the most important things about making okra is to wash the okra thoroughly. I put mine in a colander, rinsed them off, and then dried them off with a kitchen towel.
Then you need to cut both ends off; I would suggest that you make these in about 1/2 inch pieces.
In a small bowl, add your flour, in another bowl add your eggs, and whisk with a fork.
In another bowl add your bread crumb.
Then to bread, toss your diced okra into the flour, then into the egg wash and then into the bread crumbs.
Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then as you bread your okra, place it into the basket. Set the temperature to 375 degrees F, air fryer setting, and air fry for 10-12 minutes, shaking the basket frequently during the cooking process.
Tips for making Air Fried Okra
- If you want to add any seasonings to the flour mixture, the typical ones used in the South are cayenne pepper, paprika, or garlic powder.
- If you want to add some heat to the okra, add a couple of tablespoons of hot sauce into the egg mixture.
- It is essential to shake the basket several times during the cooking process, so they cook evenly. If you have an air fryer oven, then use a pair of tongs and flip them halfway.
- If you want to add a great crisp, spray them with cooking spray, you can either use avocado oil, olive oil, or coconut oil.
- Do not crowd the basket. Otherwise, they will not cook evenly or get crispy.
Can you air fry frozen breaded okra?
Yes, although it is tough to bread frozen okra, you can add the frozen (do not thaw) okra to the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting, and set the timer for about 14-16 minutes, until fully cooked.
Remember to shake the basket frequently during the cooking process, so all of the okra crisps up.
Some Helpful Products Used In Making This Recipe
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
DON’T FORGET TO PIN-Print
This is such an easy way to make air fryer fried Okra. Breaded the traditional way, it makes for a great and easy snack, side dish, or appetizer!
- 1 pound of okra (fresh)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Cooking Spray
- Cut the Okra into 1/2 inch pieces.
- In a small bowl, add your flour. In another bowl, add your eggs, and whisk with a fork.
- In another bowl, add your bread crumb.
- Then to bread, toss your diced okra into the flour, then into the egg wash, and then into the bread crumbs.
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then as you bread your okra, place it into the basket. Set the temperature to 375 degrees F, air fryer setting, and air fry for 10-12 minutes, shaking the basket frequently during the cooking process.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Keywords: Air Fryer Fried Okra