Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are amazing! If you just received your air fryer, or you just haven’t made them yet, what are you waiting for? They are a perfect snack, appetizer, or side dish, for any meal!
Making sweet potato fries are so simple. You will be wondering why you didn’t do it sooner. Depending on where you live, you may also call them sweet potato chips: same recipe, and same great flavor as frozen, but even better.
I love making a batch of homemade Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries. They make the perfect side dish, whether you are BBQs, having a get-together, or just sitting around with the family, watching tv. Everyone loves homemade Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
If you are looking for some other quick and Delicious Air Fryer Recipes, some of my favorites are Air Fryer Easy Potato Skin Recipe, Air Fryer, Roasted Leg of Lamb With Garlic, and Rosemary Air Fryer-Herbed Lamb Chops, and Air Fryer Potato Croquettes.
What Are Sweet Potato Fries?
Sweet Potato Fries have become more popular in American over the years due to Alexia Brand, which started to manufacture frozen Sweet Potato Fries. After that, they are often offered at some restaurants as a substitution for regular fries.
There is nothing magical about Sweet Potato Fries. Instead of using a regular Russet Potato, you are using sweet potatoes to make these fries. The same method is used.
Sweet Potatoes are Nutritious
However, unlike the standard potato for regular french fries, sweet potato fries over more nutrition.
Sweet Potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are low in calories, high in Vitamin C, Manganese, Vitamin B6, Potassium, and Vitamin A. They make for a great and healthy side dish.
How To Cut Sweet Potato Fries
When it comes to making homemade French Fries, regular with sweet potatoes or not, there are only two ways actually to cut them.
- By Hand
If you are oing to be making a lot of homemade friees, I would highly suggest that you purchaes a Mandoline, since it will be quicker.
If you want to Cut Them By Hand, here are some pointers:
Choose sweet potatoes that are about the same size, this way they will cook at about the same time.
Wash the sweet potatoes, and then dry them. Use your vegetable peeler and peel them.
Using a sharp knife, cut your sweet potato in half lengthwise, then cut them into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces. If you want to make, Air Fryer Sweet Potato Steak Fries cut them a bit thicker. But, I find that the thinner sweet potato fries are, the crispier they get during air frying.
INGREDIENTS IN AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Sea Salt
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES
Peel sweet potatoes and slice into French fry size wedges or thinner fries. In a medium to small flat bottom bowl or pan mix the olive oil and spices together.
Place cut sweet potato fries in the olive oil and spice mixture and cover completely. Place oiled and spiced fries in a large freezer bag and add the cornstarch. Close the bag and shake well to cover the fries. Add a tablespoon of water if there is still white powder cornstarch on the fries.
Air Fry at 350 degrees F. air fryer setting, for 5 minutes, then flip over and cook for another 5 minutes, repeat process until you achieve the level of crispiness you desire. The process usually takes 15 minutes, but it would depend on the air fryer.
Note About The Cornstarch:
Cornstarch is optional as it can lead to a crispier fry but it can be powdery and may not soak in all the way leaving a white dusting at the end. The fries are excellent either way. You can also add the oiled and spiced fries to a large freezer bag and add the cornstarch into the bag and shake well. Adding a little moisture like water can help the cornstarch adhere to the fries and take away the dry cornstarch powder. Just a little water helps (about 1 tablespoon).
I find that the cornstarch leads to a crispier Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
Some Pro Tips:
- Same Size: For best results, using an air fryer helps if all of the food is cut the same. This way, all of your French Fries cook at the same time. You don’t want thinner ones burning, while the thicker ones are half raw. this is why I suggest a Mandoline; they will be the same size.
- Crowding: Do not crowd the air fryer basket. For best results, leave space between the French Fries so that the hot air can circulate around the French Fries, crisping them up.
- Season: Right after your sweet potatoes air fry and are done, toss them with some more sea salt. Feel free to add other spices.
- Flipping: Depending on which air fryer you own, either flip them with a pair of tongs or shake the basket during the cooking process. This will ensure that you get great and perfectly cooked Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I Need To Soak The Sweet Potatoes?
For most Air Fryer Homemade Fries, I recommend soaking them, but with sweet potatoes, I have found that you really do not need to. You soak Russet Potatoes are to remove the starch, which will limit them from achieving crispness. With sweet potatoes, you need to do this.
I used cornstarch to help the sweet potatoes achieve crispness. I found that they got crispy without the water bath, so I eliminated it.
What kind of oil is best for air fryer sweet potato fries?
I recommend three oils for air frying, all of which have high smoke points. No need for your kitchen to be filled with smoke.
I usually use olive oil, but you can use Grapeseed, Coconut, or Avacado Oil. I would not use vegetable oil or canola oil, as your kitchen will become very smoky.
How long should I cook sweet potato fries in air fryer?
The true amount of time you need to air fry sweet potatoes will depend on a few factors, including your Air Fryer. I have made this recipe several times in my Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot Vortex Plus, Power XL, Instant Pot Crisp Lid, and Meathly, and the time varied a bit. The average time is about 15 to 20 minutes.
But I recommend that you cook your Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries until you have achieved your level of crispness.
How do I cook frozen sweet potato chips in the air fryer?
If you want to try your hand at making Frozen Sweet Potato Fries in your air fyrer, thta is great, I would cook the same method as below.
Since you are starting off with frozen sweet potato fries, you will need to increase the cooking time.
FOR MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES:
- AIR FRYER APPLE PIE EGG ROLLS
- AIR FRYER BACON WRAPPED JALAPEÑO POPPERS
- EASY AIR FRYER APPLE TURNOVERS
- AIR FRYER LOADED TATER TOTS
- AIR FRYER GARLIC LEMON BUTTER SCALLOPS
- 2 Medium/large sweet potato’s
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons corn starch (optional)*
- 1 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- ½ Teaspoon paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- Peel sweet potatoes and slice into French fry size wedges or thinner fries.
- In a medium to small flat bottom bowl or pan, mix the olive oil and spices.
- Place cut sweet potato fries in the olive oil and spice mixture and cover completely.
- Place oiled and spiced fries in a large freezer bag and add the cornstarch. Close the bag and shake well to cover the fries. Add a tablespoon of water if there is still white powder cornstarch on the fries.
- Airy fry 350 degrees Fahrenheit, air fryer setting, for 5 minutes, then flip over and cook for another 5 minutes. Repeat the process until you achieve the level of crispiness you desire. The process usually takes 15 minutes, but it would depend on the air fryer.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
* Cornstarch is optional as it can lead to a crispier fry, but it can be powdery and may not soak in all the way, leaving a white dusting at the end. The fries are excellent either way. You can also add the oiled and spiced fries to a large freezer bag and add the cornstarch into the bag and shake well. Adding a little moisture like water can help the cornstarch adhere to the fries and take away the dry cornstarch powder. Just a little water helps (about 1 tablespoon).
Leftover fries typically do not taste/look the same as a leftover. Sweet Potato Fries should eat them on the same day they are cooked.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g