Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings –Get ready to elevate your game day or party with these irresistible Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings. They come out with a golden-brown, crispy skin and a savory, flavorful coating that rivals your favorite Chinese restaurant.
Get ready to enjoy the perfect appetizer that will have everyone returning for seconds!
Why You Will Love These Crispy Chinese Chicken Wings
You’ll absolutely fall in love with these Crispy Chinese Chicken Wings for several fantastic reasons:
- Irresistible Crispiness: These wings come out of the air fryer with an incredibly satisfying crispy exterior, making each bite a delightful crunchfest.
- Authentic Chinese Flavors: The marinade and coating infuse the wings with savory Chinese flavors that rival those from your favorite restaurant.
- Ease of Preparation: This recipe is surprisingly easy to follow, allowing you to create restaurant-quality wings at home without deep frying.
- Customizable Heat: You can adjust the level of spiciness to your liking by adding more or less sriracha sauce to the sauce mixture, ensuring it suits everyone’s taste.
- Perfect for Gatherings: Whether it’s game day, a party, or a casual get-together, these wings are the ultimate crowd-pleaser.
- Healthier Choice: Using the air fryer, achieve that coveted crispy texture with less oil, making these wings a healthier option than traditional deep frying.
- Sauce Variations: While the hoisin and sriracha sauce is a delicious choice, you can get creative with your sauce options, tailoring them to your preferences.
- Satisfying Garnishes: Sesame seeds, green onions, and red pepper flakes add flavor and visual appeal to these wings.
- Full Instructions: The detailed instructions and clear steps ensure even beginners can master the art of making these wings.
- Delicious Leftovers: If you have leftovers (although that’s quite rare!), they can be reheated for another round of deliciousness.
Crispy Chinese Chicken Wings offer the perfect combination of flavor, texture, and ease of preparation. They’re a winning choice for any occasion, and you’ll keep returning for more!
I love serving homemade Chinese meals for my family. Here are some of my other Chinese Recipes Made in the air fryer: AIR FRYER CHINESE SPARE RIBS, AIR FRYER CHINESE DONUTS, AIR FRYER CHINESE SALT AND PEPPER CHICKEN WINGS, andAIR FRYER CHINESE EGG ROLLS.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings
Prepare to embark on a culinary adventure as we explore the ingredients needed to create mouthwatering Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings.
These wings boast a perfect balance of crispy skin and savory flavors, all achieved with the convenience of your air fryer. Every element is crucial in crafting these irresistible appetizers, from fresh chicken wings to a tantalizing marinade. Let’s dive into the key ingredients that make these wings a flavorful sensation!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Fresh Chicken Wings: The star of the show, fresh chicken wings, provides the meaty foundation for this dish, ensuring a juicy and flavorful result.
- Baking Powder: Baking powder is the secret ingredient that helps achieve the wings’ irresistibly crispy skin when combined with the seasonings.
- Kosher Salt: Salt enhances the overall flavor of the wings, ensuring they are perfectly seasoned.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper adds a touch of spiciness and depth of flavor to the seasoning mixture.
- White Pepper (Optional): White pepper can be added to provide a mild yet distinct spicy kick for those who enjoy extra heat.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder imparts a savory and aromatic essence to the seasoning blend.
- Onion Powder: Onion powder enhances the wings’ overall flavor profile with a mild and slightly sweet oniony note.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar adds sweetness to balance the savory elements and promote browning.
- Soy Sauce: Soy sauce contributes a rich, salty, umami flavor to the marinade, providing depth and complexity.
- Shaoxing Wine (Chinese Cooking Wine): Shaoxing wine infuses the wings with authentic Chinese flavors and is a tenderizer.
- Sesame Oil: Sesame oil adds a delightful nutty aroma and taste to the marinade, contributing to the wings’ overall appeal.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is used in the coating to help create a crispy exterior when combined with the potato starch.
- Potato Starch: Potato starch, combined with cornstarch, forms the coating that crisps up beautifully in the air fryer.
- Hoisin Sauce (Optional): Hoisin sauce can be a flavorful dipping sauce, offering a sweet and savory condiment.
- Sriracha Sauce (Optional): Sriracha sauce provides a hint of spice and tang to the dipping sauce, adding an extra layer of flavor.
- Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds, used as a garnish, contribute a pleasing crunch and an appealing visual element.
- Chopped Green Onions: Chopped green onions offer a fresh and slightly pungent garnish, enhancing both the flavor and presentation.
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional): Red pepper flakes can be added for those who enjoy extra heat in their wings.
How To Make Chinese Chicken Wings In Air Fryer
With a few simple steps, we will have you cooking chicken wings up, and no trip to your Asian grocery stores is needed!
Prep Chicken Wings:
Paint the chicken wings dry with paper towels in a large mixing bowl.
Create the Seasoning Mix:
In a separate small bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, black pepper, white pepper (if using), garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar.
Season the Wings:
Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the chicken wings and toss until they are thoroughly coated. Ensure that the seasoning is evenly distributed.
Marinate the Wings:
Mix the soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Add the seasoned chicken wings to the marinade, tossing to coat. Let them marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
Prepare the Coating:
In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and potato starch.
Coat the Marinated Wings:
After marinating, remove the wings from the marinade and lightly shake off any excess liquid.
Dredge each wing in the cornstarch and potato starch mixture, pressing the coating onto the wings for better adherence.
Air Fry the Wings:
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F (200°C) for 3-5 minutes. Lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray or brush with olive oil.
Place the coated wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket, in a single layer, ensuring enough space between them for cooking.
Cook the wings at 400°F (200°C) for 25-30 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. They should be crispy and have an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Prepare the Sauce (Optional):
While the wings cook, combine hoisin sauce and sriracha sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat until the mixture is warmed through. Once the wings are done cooking, you can toss them in the sauce mixture or serve the sauce on the side for dipping.
Serve and Garnish:
Place the crispy Chinese chicken wings on a serving platter. Garnish with sesame seeds, chopped green onions, and red pepper flakes if desired.
Pro Tips Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings
To ensure your Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings turn out absolutely perfect, here are some pro tips to keep in mind:
- Pat Dry Thoroughly: Ensure the chicken wings are completely dry before seasoning and marinating. Moisture can hinder the crisping process.
- Even Coating: Make sure the seasoning mixture is evenly distributed over the wings to ensure consistent flavor and crispiness.
- Marinating Time: Don’t rush the marinating process. Allowing the wings to marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature allows the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Proper Preheating: Preheat your air fryer for a few minutes before cooking. This ensures the wings start cooking immediately, resulting in a crispy exterior.
- Single Layer: Arrange the coated wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving space between them. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and less crispy results. Depending on the size of your air fryer basket, you may need to cook your wings in batches.
- Flipping Wings: Flip the wings halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning on both sides.
- Meat Thermometer: Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken wings, aiming for 165°F (74°C) to ensure they are fully cooked.
- Sauce on the Side: Consider serving the sauce on the side. This allows everyone to control the level of sauciness to their preference, maintaining the wings’ crispiness.
- Garnish Right: Garnish the wings just before serving to maintain their crispiness. Sesame seeds, green onions, and red pepper flakes add a lovely touch.
- Experiment: Feel free to experiment with the level of spiciness and other seasonings to suit your taste. Chinese five-spice powder or ginger can also be exciting additions.
By following these pro tips, you’ll have the confidence to create the crispiest and most flavorful Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings every time.
Can I use frozen chicken wings for this recipe?
While fresh chicken wings are recommended for the best results, you can use frozen wings. However, you may need to adjust the cooking time, and it’s essential to ensure They are thawed and patted dry before seasoning and marinating.
Can I use a different type of starch for the coating?
Yes, you can experiment with different starches like cornstarch, potato starch, or even rice flour for the coating. They can all contribute to a crispy texture.
Can I make these wings in advance for a party?
Absolutely! You can prepare and coat the wings in advance, then air fry them just before your party to ensure they are at their crispiest. Alternatively, you can reheat them in the air fryer before serving.
Can I make these wings less spicy?
Yes, you can adjust the level of spiciness by reducing the amount of sriracha sauce in the sauce mixture or omitting it altogether for a milder flavor.
Can I make these wings gluten-free?
You can make these wings gluten-free by using gluten-free soy sauce and ensuring that the starches and sauces you use are certified gluten-free.
Can I use bone-in chicken thighs instead of wings?
Yes, you can adapt this recipe to bone-in chicken thighs. Adjust the cooking time as needed to ensure the chicken reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Can I reheat leftover wings in the air fryer?
Yes, you can reheat leftover wings in the air fryer at a lower temperature (around 350°F or 175°C) for a few minutes to restore their crispiness without overcooking.
What can I serve as a dipping sauce for these wings?
The hoisin and sriracha sauce mixture provided in the recipe makes an excellent dipping sauce. You can also serve them with sweet chili sauce, teriyaki sauce, or a simple soy sauce and vinegar combination.
More Air Fryer Chicken Wing Recipes:
If you loved the recipe for the Chinese chicken wings air fryer, you would love these recipes.
- AIR FRYER JERK CHICKEN WINGS
- CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER DRY RUBBED CHICKEN WINGS
- EASY AIR FRYER TYSON CHICKEN WINGS
- EASY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings
Chicken Wing Ingredients:
- 2 pounds fresh chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, optional for extra heat
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine, Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons potato starch, or more cornstarch
For the Sauce (Optional):
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce, adjust to your spice preference
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Red pepper flakes, optional for added heat
- In a large mixing bowl, pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, black pepper, white pepper (if using), garlic powder, onion powder, and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the chicken wings and toss until they are thoroughly coated. Ensure that the seasoning is evenly distributed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, and sesame oil. Add the seasoned chicken wings to the marinade, tossing to coat. Let them marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, allowing the flavors to meld.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch and potato starch.
- After marinating, remove the wings from the marinade and lightly shake off any excess liquid.
- Dredge each wing in the cornstarch and potato starch mixture, pressing the coating onto the wings for better adherence.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for about 5 minutes.
- Lightly grease the air fryer basket with cooking spray or a brush of oil.
- Place the coated wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring there is enough space between them for even cooking.
- Cook the wings at 400°F (200°C) for 25-30 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. They should be crispy and have an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- While the wings cook, in a small saucepan over medium heat, combine hoisin sauce and sriracha sauce. Heat until the mixture is warmed through.
- Once the wings are done cooking, you can either toss them in the sauce mixture or serve the sauce on the side for dipping.
- Place the crispy Chinese chicken wings on a serving platter.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, chopped green onions, and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Enjoy: Serve your Air Fryer Chinese Chicken Wings hot with your favorite dipping sauce, or simply enjoy their delicious flavors as-is.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Refrigeration: Store any leftover cooked wings in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag in the refrigerator. They can be stored for up to 3-4 days.
- Air Fryer Method: Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes. Place the leftover wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Heat for approximately 5-10 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they are heated through and regain their crispiness.
- Cooling: Allow the cooked wings to cool to room temperature.
- Wrap Individually: Wrap each wing individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This prevents them from sticking together and helps maintain their crispiness.
- Place in a Container: After wrapping the wings, place them in an airtight container or resealable freezer bags. Remove as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn.
- Label and Date: Label the container or bags with the date of freezing for easy tracking.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes.
- Air Fry the Wings: Place the frozen wings directly into the preheated air fryer basket. Air fry for approximately 10-15 minutes, flipping them occasionally, until they are heated through and the coating becomes crispy again.