Prepare to savor the irresistible flavors of tender and succulent Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs!
These mouthwatering ribs are marinated in a rich and savory Chinese sauce, then air-fried to perfection, resulting in a crispy and caramelized exterior that’s simply irresistible.
Join us on this culinary journey as we explore the art of making restaurant-quality Chinese spare ribs right in your own kitchen. Prepare your appetites because this recipe will take your taste buds on a savory adventure!
Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs are melt-in-your-mouth tender with the sweet and savory flavors of honey, hoisin, soy sauce, and some five-spice powder.
Today, I made Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs in the air fryer, and they came out so tender and delicious; they tasted exactly like the Chinese food restaurants. The sauce caramelizes up beautifully in the air fryer, and at the last minute, I brush some leftover sauce over the ribs. It was caramelized beautifully, just like the restaurant version!
Best Chinese Spare Ribs Air Fryer Recipe
The best Chinese spare ribs in the air fryer are a delectable fusion of tenderness, flavor, and convenience. This recipe transforms ordinary spare ribs into a culinary masterpiece that rivals your favorite Chinese restaurant.
Marinate the ribs in a flavorful blend of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, and garlic to achieve perfection. Allow them to soak up these aromatic ingredients for a few hours or overnight, ensuring the meat becomes incredibly tender and infused with savory goodness.
Once marinated, the air fryer takes center stage. The ribs are air-fried until they develop a crispy, caramelized exterior, while the inside remains juicy and succulent. The result is a delightful contrast of textures, and a harmonious balance of sweet, savory, and umami flavors that make these Chinese spare ribs stand out.
Whether you’re craving a delicious appetizer or a main course that transports you to the heart of Chinese cuisine, this air fryer recipe is a game-changer. Say goodbye to deep frying and hello to a healthier and equally delicious alternative that’s perfect for any occasion. Give it a try, and you’ll discover that the best Chinese spare ribs can be made right in your kitchen with the help of your trusty air fryer.
Why You Will Love Making Chinese Spareribs in Air Fryer
Making Chinese Spareribs in the air fryer is a culinary experience you’ll truly love, and here’s why:
- Quick and Easy: This air fryer recipe simplifies the cooking process, allowing you to enjoy delicious Chinese spareribs in a fraction of the time it takes for traditional methods.
- Healthier Alternative: Air frying significantly reduces the need for excessive oil, making your spareribs healthier than deep-frying. You can indulge without the guilt.
- Crispy Exterior, Tender Interior: The air fryer achieves the perfect balance between a crispy, caramelized exterior and a tender, juicy interior, creating a delightful contrast of textures in every bite.
- Authentic Chinese Flavor: The marinade infuses the spareribs with an authentic Chinese flavor profile, featuring a harmonious blend of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, and garlic. It’s like bringing your favorite Chinese restaurant into your kitchen.
- Customizable: You can tailor the marinade to your taste by adjusting the sweetness, saltiness, or spiciness to create the perfect flavor profile for your spareribs.
- No Deep Frying Mess: Say goodbye to the mess and hassle of deep frying. The air fryer keeps your kitchen clean while delivering restaurant-quality results.
- Versatile: Chinese spareribs make an excellent appetizer, main course, or party snack. They’re versatile and perfect for various occasions.
- Impress Your Guests: If you’re entertaining guests, serving a plate of perfectly air-fried Chinese spareribs will impress and satisfy your friends and family.
- Fun Cooking Experience: Using the air fryer adds an element of fun and excitement to your cooking routine. It’s a great way to experiment with different cuisines and flavors.
- Memorable Meals: Creating these flavorful spareribs in the air fryer can turn any mealtime into a memorable and enjoyable experience. It’s a dish that will become a favorite at your dining table.
In summary, making Chinese Spareribs in the air fryer offers a convenient, healthier, and utterly delicious way to enjoy this classic Chinese dish. From the enticing aroma that fills your kitchen to the delightful taste sensation, you’ll find joy in every step of the process. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or new to air frying, this recipe is a must-try for anyone seeking an authentic and delectable Chinese spareribs experience at home.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs
Prepare to embark on a culinary journey to the heart of Chinese cuisine with our Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs. These succulent ribs are marinated in a flavorful blend of ingredients that infuse them with authentic Chinese flavors.
Before diving into the cooking process, let’s gather the essential ingredients that will make your spare ribs an unforgettable culinary delight.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Pork Spare Ribs: The dish’s star, pork spare ribs, provides the meaty foundation for this savory delight. Look for ribs with a good balance of meat and fat for the best results.
- Soy Sauce: Soy sauce serves as the base of the marinade, adding saltiness and a rich umami flavor that defines the Chinese spare ribs.
- Hoisin Sauce: Hoisin sauce contributes a sweet and savory depth of flavor to the marinade, complementing the soy sauce with its unique blend of spices and sweetness.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar provides sweetness, balancing the salty and savory elements of the marinade while also helping to create a beautiful caramelized exterior when air-fried.
- Honey: Add some sweetness to the sauce.
- Chinese Five-Spice Powder: This aromatic blend of spices, including star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan peppercorns, and fennel seeds, adds complexity and depth to the marinade.
- Fresh Ginger: Fresh ginger adds a bright and zesty kick to the marinade, infusing the ribs with its aromatic and slightly spicy essence.
- Garlic Cloves: Garlic cloves bring their pungent and robust flavor to the mix, enhancing the overall savory profile of the marinade.
How To Make Chinese Spare Ribs In Air Fryer
Making Chinese Spare Ribs in the air fryer is a delightful and easy process. Follow these steps for a delicious result:
Start by slicing the ribs into 1-inch pieces, then cut them in half. Add the ribs to a large mixing bowl, add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, dark brown sugar, honey, five-spice powder, garlic, ginger, and red food coloring.
Cover the ribs and place them into the refrigerator for about 1 to 2 hours.
Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes, and then spread your ribs into the air fryer basket. Set the timer to 15-20 minutes.
At the last minute, I brushed some extra sauce on and put them back into the air fryer so that the sauce would be carmelized!! Awesome!
Achieving restaurant-quality Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs is all about attention to detail and a few pro tips. Here are some valuable tips to ensure your spare ribs turn out perfectly:
- Marinate for Longer: For maximum flavor, marinate the spare ribs for at least 4 hours or, ideally, overnight. This allows the meat to absorb the rich Chinese flavors fully.
- Bring to Room Temperature: Before air frying, let the marinated ribs sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. This helps them cook more evenly.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Ensure your air fryer is preheated before adding the ribs. Preheating helps create a crispy exterior.
- Arrange Ribs Carefully: Arrange the ribs in a single layer in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not touching or overcrowded. This allows for proper air circulation and even cooking.
- Flip Halfway Through: Flip the ribs halfway through cooking to ensure both sides develop an even, crispy crust.
- Use a Meat Thermometer: To guarantee that the ribs are cooked perfectly, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. They are safe to eat when the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C).
- Baste for Extra Flavor: During the last few minutes of cooking, you can baste the ribs with some of the reserved marinade or a choice of glaze for an additional flavor.
- Let Them Rest: Allow the cooked spare ribs to rest for a few minutes before serving. This helps the juices redistribute, ensuring each bite is juicy and flavorful.
- Garnish Wisely: Garnish with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds just before serving to add a fresh, aromatic touch and enhance the overall presentation.
- Double-Check Doneness: If you’re unsure about the doneness of the ribs, you can cut into one to ensure it’s cooked to your desired level of tenderness.
- Adjust Seasonings: Taste the marinade before adding it to the ribs and adjust the seasonings to suit your preferences. You can add more soy sauce for saltiness, honey for sweetness, or ginger for extra zing.
- Clean the Air Fryer Basket: After cooking, clean the air fryer basket promptly to prevent any residue from sticking and affecting the appliance’s performance.
By following these pro tips, you’ll master the art of making Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs that are tender, flavorful, and irresistibly crispy. Enjoy your culinary adventure!
Can I use boneless spare ribs for this recipe? Yes, you can use boneless spare ribs if you prefer. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as boneless ribs may cook faster than bone-in ribs.
How long should I marinate the spare ribs? For the best flavor, marinate the spare ribs for at least 4 hours or, ideally, overnight in the refrigerator. This allows the meat to absorb the marinade fully.
Can I use a different type of meat for this recipe? While pork spare ribs are traditional for this dish, you can experiment with other meats like chicken, beef, or even tofu, adjusting the cooking time as needed.
What if I don’t have Chinese five-spice powder? If you don’t have Chinese five-spice powder, you can make a substitute by mixing equal parts ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground fennel seeds, ground star anise, and ground Sichuan peppercorns. Adjust the proportions to suit your taste.
Can I freeze leftover spare ribs? Yes, you can freeze leftover spare ribs for later consumption. Allow them to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven when ready to eat.
What dipping sauces pair well with Chinese spare ribs? Chinese spare ribs are often served with dipping sauces such as hoisin sauce, sweet and sour sauce, plum sauce, or a simple soy sauce-based dipping sauce.
Can I double the recipe for a larger batch? Yes, you can double the recipe to make a larger batch of Chinese spare ribs. Just ensure that your air fryer can accommodate the additional ribs without overcrowding.
Do I need to remove the membrane from the back of the spare ribs? It’s recommended to remove the tough membrane from the back of the spare ribs before marinating and cooking. This helps the marinade penetrate the meat and ensures a more tender result.
Can I make these spare ribs in advance for a party or gathering? Yes, you can prepare and marinate the spare ribs in advance, making them a convenient choice for parties or gatherings. Air fry them just before serving to ensure maximum freshness and flavor.
Can I reheat Chinese spare ribs in the air fryer? Yes, you can reheat leftover Chinese spare ribs in the air fryer for a few minutes until they are warmed through and regain their crispiness.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER BABY BACK RIBS (WITH HOMEMADE RUB)
- EASY AIR FRYER, THE JUICIEST AND MOST TENDER SMOKED BBQ RIBS
- AIR FRYER, KOREAN-STYLE BEEF SHORT RIBS
- AIR FRYER CORN ON THE COB
- INSTANT POT VEGETARIAN CHINESE FRIED RICE
- AIR FRYER, CHINESE SESAME CHICKEN
- SIMPLE AIR FRYER, CHINESE CHICKEN POTSTICKERS (SO EASY!)
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Chinese Spare Ribs
- 2 pounds Country Style Pork Ribs
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Start by slicing the ribs into 1-inch pieces, then cut them in half.
- Add the ribs to a large mixing bowl, add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, dark brown sugar, honey, five-spice powder, garlic, ginger, and red food coloring.
- Cover the ribs and place them into the refrigerator for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes, and then spread your ribs into the air fryer basket. Set the timer to 15-20 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Cooking Spray, optional