Everyone’s favorite dish is not an easy meal to prepare in the air fryer, the air fryer does a great job at crisping the chicken, without the added fat, and the sauce is an exact replica of traditional sesame chicken, I ‘m sure it will be a favorite soon. Serve along with homemade air fryer crab rangoons, for a great dinner or lunch.
Here are the simple steps to make it in your own air fryer,
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
DO NOT FORGET TO PIN—Print
Air Fryer, Chinese Sesame Chicken
Everyone’s favorite dish is not an easy meal to prepare in the air fryer, the air fryer does a great job at crisping the chicken, without the added fat, and the sauce is an exact replica of traditional sesame chicken, I’m sure it will be a favorite soon. Serve along with homemade air fryer crab rangoons, for a great dinner or lunch.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Optional Garnish: Sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- Cut up the chicken into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Place the diced chicken into a large bowl.
- Add in the potato starch and use your hands to coat it evenly.
- Place the coated chicken onto the air fryer tray or in the air fryer basket.
- Spray the chicken generously with olive oil.
- Set the timer to 7 minutes, at 350 degrees F.
- After the time, flip the chicken with tongs, and air fry for another 5-7 minutes.
- The exact time will depend on how large your chunks are, and the type of air fry you own. Always use a meat thermometer.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, toss it in with the sauce (see notes, on how to prepare the sauce)
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
To Make the sauce:
Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, orange juice, hoisin sauce, ginger, and garlic powder to a small saucepan, and bring to a small simmer.
Once the sauce starts to simmer, stir in the cornstarch and water.
The sauce thickens because of the cornstarch. Continue to mix, until it’s thickened, about 3-4 minutes.