Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken has salty and crispy skin on the outside and juicy, herbaceous meat on the inside. This air fryer whole chicken rivals any store’s rotisserie fare.
I will be the first person to admit that I never really had the ambition to cook a whole chicken until I bought an air fryer. But when I got my air fryer, I knew it was time to air fry a whole chicken and it turned out incredible.
YES! You can actually cook rotisserie chicken in the air fryer, and it’s a game changer. Plus, there are so many different ways to use it after it’s cooked! In wraps, sandwiches, or even in casseroles.
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Whole Chicken!
- Moist & delicious
- Incredibly crispy skin
- Seasoned beautifully
- 10 minutes prep + 1 hour cooking time
- Family Friendly
- Can adjust seasonings to fit your preferences
What Is A Rotisserie Chicken?
The term rotisserie refers to how the chicken is cooked. It is usually placed on a rod or stick and turned slowly above the heat source.
Lots of people cook rotisserie-style when they are camping!
Through this process, the fat drips off the chicken, leaving you with a chicken that has crispy skin and soft, juicy meat.
I didn’t have a rotisserie rod for my air fryer, but my method of turning the air fryer whole chicken gives you the same result. In fact, if you were to taste test them side by side, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference!
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make this air fryer rotisserie chicken recipe.
- Olive Oil: Any type of oil will work, including avocado oil or vegetable oil.
- Sea Salt: Use plenty of salt because it brings out all the other flavors.
- Smoked Paprika: There are different types of paprika – smoked will give it a bolder flavor, but you could use sweet paprika instead.
- Onion Powder: The onion powder gives it a classic rotisserie chicken flavor!
- Thyme: Fresh thyme will have the best flavor, but dried will also work perfectly.
- White Pepper: If all you have is black pepper, just use it instead. The white pepper just prevents the chicken from looking like there is a bunch of pepper on it (easier on the eyes for the kids!).
- Cayenne Pepper: For more heat, use a bit more cayenne pepper.
- Black Pepper: Add just enough black pepper to really flavor the chicken.
- Garlic Powder: This traditional spice always goes well with garlic powder. If you use garlic salt, just use less sea salt.
How To Make Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken
Step 1: Prep the whole chicken
Start by cleaning your chicken!
Remove the package of heart/gizzards, liver, etc., and run water through it until it comes out clean. Pat dry with a paper towel.
Set the whole chicken in the air fryer basket and rub oil over it.
Step 2: Add the seasonings
In a small bowl, mix all of the spices together. Rub the whole chicken with the spices.
Step 3: Air fry whole chicken
Set the air fryer temperature to 350 degrees F and air fry for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, flip, oil the side, and season the side, set for another 30 minutes.
NOTE: The chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees F.
- Add more seasoning than you think. The most important part of making rotisserie chicken in the air fryer is to make sure it’s really well seasoned.
- Completely cover the chicken with oil. It’s vital to make sure you oiled it to get a juicy and delicious chicken dinner.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken. Use a meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is fully cooked before removing it from the air fryer.
Here are a few frequently asked questions I get about this air fryer whole chicken.
What size whole chicken can you air fry?
The size of the bird that you can cook will depend on how large your air fryer is. I have a 5-quart one, and my chicken was just over 3 pounds, and it fits perfectly!
What is the best cooking time for whole chicken in the air fryer?
The timing of your air fryer whole chicken is really dependent on two things:
- How big your chicken is
- What model of air fryer you own
An average whole chicken will take about 40 to 60 minutes to cook, but the true indication of a cooked chicken is when the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F.
As I have mentioned a few times, one of the best investments you’ll ever make is a handy meat thermometer.
Always check the thickest part of your chicken to check the temperature!
How long should I leave the air fryer rotisserie chicken to rest before slicing?
When you air fry whole chicken you should allow it to rest for about 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Letting it rest allows for the juices to run into the middle and not onto the cutting board. This way, the center will be as juicy as the ends!
Can I reheat a rotisserie chicken?
Yes! To reheat air fryer whole chicken without drying it out:
- Add it to the basket.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for a few minutes until the chicken is heated through.
Can I air fry whole chicken from frozen?
Yes, you can air fry any frozen chicken, including a whole frozen chicken. You should follow the same guidelines as a thawed chicken.
It’s best to let it thaw for around 30 minutes at room temperature, then follow the rest of the directions. You’ll need to increase the cooking time by 20 – 30 minutes until it reaches 165 degrees F internally.
Is using an air fryer really healthy?
Yes, using an air fryer is a healthier cooking method.
Hot air circulates to perfectly crisp up your food instead of being fried in a pan of oil. This saves you both calories and fat intake!
An air fryer is a perfect appliance and a new cooking technique that can help anyone on a low-fat diet.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes:
- AIR FRYER FRIED CHICKEN WINGS
- CRACK CHICKEN CRESCENT BITES IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER SHREDDED CHICKEN
- AIR FRYER OLIVE GARDEN COPYCAT CHICKEN PARMIGIANA
- BROCCOLI AND CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN IN THE AIR FRYER
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Easy Air Fryer Rotisserie Roasted Whole Chicken — Looking for an easy way to roast a whole chicken? You need an air fryer! This rotisserie roasted chicken is juicy and delicious, and it's so easy to make. Just follow these simple steps, and you'll have a meal everyone will love. Plus, the air fryer does all the work – there's no need to turn on the oven! So give this recipe a try today – your family will be glad you did.
- 3-5 pound whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Start by cleaning your chicken, remove the package of heart/gizzards, liver, etc. and run water through it until it comes out clean.
In a small bowl, mix all of the spices. Then rub the oil on one side of the chicken and the rub mixture. Then set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, flip, oil the side, and season the side, set for another 30 minutes. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees F.
Let cool, slice, plate, and enjoy!