Crispy Air Fryer Cod — If you love fish and are looking for a healthy alternative to deep-frying, the air fryer is the perfect solution. The Air Fryer cooks by circulating hot air, so it’s almost like deep frying without all of the added fat. This recipe will show you how to cook crispy Cod in your air fryer!
This Easy Crispy Air Fryer Cod Recipe is a quick and easy family dinner recipe that the whole family will love! The Cod has a tasty and crispy panko coating, perfect for Fish and Chips night!
If you are looking for some air fryer fish recipes, this is one of my favorites, and I love a good piece of air fryer fish!
Being from Boston, I also love a perfect piece of crispy air fryer cod fish and chips dinner, usually served with chips, for a great and typical Friday Feast in New England. everyone loves a great This is one of the BEST recipes for air fryer cod fish!
So, if you are looking for some easy air fryer recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER EASY CHICKEN TENDERS, AIR FRYER SHAKE N’ BAKE STYLE FRIED CHICKEN, AIR FRYER PHILLY CHEESESTEAK CALZONES and AIR FRYER PATTY MELT.
What Is Cod?
Cod is a fish that is typically caught out of both the Pacific and the Atlantic Oceans, but it actually has several different names. Some common ones:
- Atlantic Cod
- Pacific Cod
- Greenland Cod
- Scrod (young cod)
Cod is a fish that is often characterized by a milk flavor and flaky, white fish. It is excellent cooking since the Cod will absorb most of the rub, batter, or seasoning flavors and does not have a strong fishy odor or taste.
Cod also have significant health benefits, like most fish. Cod is rich in Vitamin A, D, E, and Omega-3 fatty acids.
Crispy Air Fryer Cod
This might become one of the best dishes that you make in your air fryer. Today, I used a simple panko bread crumb coating. That gave the Cod a tremendous crispy coating and makes for a great meal that the whole family loves.
Today, I made a simple air fried cod, using panko, for a great and foolproof recipe for air fryer cod panko.
Ingredients Needed For Crispy Air Fryer Cod
- All-Purpose Flour
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil or Cooking Spray
- Optional: Parsley For Serving
How To Cook Cod In Air Fryer
Create a station for coating Cod Fillets. Place Cod on a paper towel-lined plate. Line up 3 large shallow bowls on the workstation. In the first bowl place, a beaten large egg. In the second bowl, add the all-purpose flour, and in the third bowl, place the panko bread crumbs mixed with the paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Preheat Air Fryer to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting. Begin by dipping a cod fillet in egg, then flour, then panko mixture. Transfer to a clean plate. Continue until all fillets are prepared.
When the Air Fryer is hot, spray or brush the tray with olive oil and place the cod fillets in a single layer on the tray. Spray the tops of the Cod with more olive oil. Cook the fish at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, flip and cook for 5 more minutes. The coating should be golden, and the fish should flake easily.
Serve immediately and garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
Some Pro Tips:
- Use plastic-coated tongs to handle fish as it can be delicate.
- When flipping fish halfway through cooking, if some of the coatings come off, sprinkle some more of the panko mixture and spray with a bit more olive oil to adhere it to the fish.
- Remove Cod immediately from the air fryer after cooking, or it will become dry and overcooked.
- This Cod is deliciously served with Air fryer french fries, coleslaw, and tartar sauce.
- All air fryers are different. I used the Cosori Air Fryer for this recipe. You can select the seafood setting and adjust the timing. You may have to adjust time and temperature if you have a different model.
How Long To Cook Cod In Air Fryer?
The length of the time cooking fish will be determined by how thick your fish fillets are. Larger ones take longer to cook than thinner ones.
The other factor that will determine how long to cook fish in the air fryer is the type of air fryer you own. All air fryer models cook differently.
The best tool for using in your air fryer would be a meat thermometer to make sure that your fish is cooked adequately without being overcooked.
How Long To Cook Frozen Cod In Air Fryer?
If you are looking at how to cook frozen cod in the air fryer, the best advice I can give to you is to cook them from frozen. You can cook frozen code fillets in air fryer or even air fryer frozen cod filets.
Place the frozen fish sticks into the air fryer basket and set the temperature to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting for 10 to 15 minutes.
Serving Air Fryer Cod
You can serve Cod with anything you want; the tradition is for an air fryer cod fish and chips dinner, which means you would serve it with French Fries.
Other great and healthy options would be to serve this with a big bowl of salad or over a plating of rice.
Are air fryers good for fish?
Air fryers are excellent for many different foods, and they are exceptional at making a crispy and delicious fish dinner.
Fish can be either breaded or plain and seasoned, but you can air fry it perfectly depending on which air fryer you own and what fish you are using. Just use a meat thermometer for the perfect timing.
Can you cook frozen battered cod in an air fryer?
Yes, you can use a traditional battered frozen cod and add it to your air fryer. I would recommend that you air fry at 380 degrees F, air fryer setting for 10 to 12 minutes.
Flip your fish halfway during the cooking process, and make sure it’s fully cooked before removing it.
What temp should Cod be cooked to?
The USDA recommends that Cod be cooked to 145 degrees F or until the fish is opaque or easily flaked with a fork.
More Air Fryer Recipes:
- AIR FRYER LOBSTER CAKES
- AIR FRYER FISH RECIPE (AIR FRYER TILAPIA)
- EASY AIR FRYER ALMOND CRUSTED COD
- AIR FRYER CRAWFISH CAKES
- 4 Cod Fillets (Thawed and pat dry if previously frozen)
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (Optional)
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Olive oil for Air Fryer
- Fresh Parsley for Serving
- Create a station for coating Cod Fillets.
- Place Cod on a paper towel-lined plate. Line up 3 large shallow bowls on the workstation. In the first bowl place, a beaten large egg. In the second bowl, add the all-purpose flour, and in the third bowl, place the panko bread crumbs mixed with the paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting.
- Begin by dipping a cod fillet in egg, then flour, then panko mixture. Transfer to a clean plate. Continue until all fillets are prepared.
- When the Air Fryer is hot, spray or brush the tray with olive oil and place the cod filets in a single layer on the tray.
- Spray the tops of the cod with more olive oil. Cook the fish at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 5 minutes, flip and cook for 5 more minutes. The coating should be golden, and the fish should flake easily.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired! Enjoy!
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
All air fryers are different. I used the Cosori Air fryer for this recipe. You can select the seafood setting and adjust the timing. You may have to adjust time and temperature if you have a different model.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 886mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 48g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.