Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Cod is perfectly seasoned and fired up with the help of the air fryer. In under 20 minutes, you can have a perfectly breaded piece of Parmesan Crusted Cod for dinner.
This is a great and healthy dinner or lunch, all made with the help of your air fryer. Whether you use fresh or frozen fillets, this is a great recipe, and the breading is amazing and plugs up nicely in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Cod
Today, I used a simple piece of cod to make an amazing dinner. I used a thawed piece, but you can certainly use frozen. I added the tips at the end of the directions.
Cod is a great and easy dish to prepare; it’s a lot like the other white fish sold in America. it has a mild flavor and is very versatile in preparation. This recipe will also work with several white fishes, including:
How To Make Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Cod
- Cod Fillets
- Olive Oil
- Bread Crumbs or Panko
- Parmesan Cheese
- Black Pepper
Start by using a pastry brush and rubbing the olive oil over the fish, then season with salt and black pepper. Mix the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs in a small bowl, add the fish, using your hands to coat the fish.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the breaded fish into the air fryer basket, and set the temperature to 390 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5-7 minutes.
Pro Tips For Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Cod
Cooking Parmesan-crusted cod in an air fryer can yield delicious results with the right approach. Here are some pro tips to ensure your cod is cooked to perfection:
- Even Thickness: Try to choose cod fillets of consistent thickness. This ensures even cooking and prevents thinner sections from overcooking and becoming dry.
- Pat Dry: Before applying any seasoning or crust, pat the cod fillets dry with paper towels. This helps the crust adhere better and results in a crisper finish.
- Light Oil Spray: To get a golden-brown crust without deep frying, lightly spray the cod with cooking spray before air frying. This promotes better browning and crispiness.
- Fresh vs. Pre-grated Parmesan: Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of the pre-grated variety. Freshly grated Parmesan tends to melt and brown more evenly.
- Avoid Overcrowding: Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. If you’re making multiple pieces, ensure there’s enough space between each for air circulation. This will help achieve an even crust all over.
- Mid-Cooking Shake or Flip: Halfway through cooking, gently shake the basket or use a spatula to flip the cod. This ensures an even cook and golden crust on both sides.
- Keep an Eye on Time: Cod cooks fairly quickly in an air fryer. Depending on the thickness, it may only take 10-15 minutes. Always check for doneness a little earlier than the recipe suggests to prevent overcooking.
- Internal Temperature: The cod should reach an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C) to ensure it’s safely cooked. You can use a kitchen thermometer to check.
- Use Panko for Extra Crunch: If you want a crunchier crust, consider mixing the Parmesan with panko breadcrumbs. The combination provides a fantastic texture.
- Seasonings: Don’t forget to season the cod fillets with salt, pepper, and any other preferred seasonings before applying the Parmesan crust. This ensures flavorful fish beneath the crispy exterior.
- Serving Immediately: Serve the cod immediately after air frying to enjoy its crispy texture. Over time, the crust can become soggy, especially if covered or stored in a container.
Using these tips, you can achieve a restaurant-quality Parmesan-crusted cod right at home with the help of your air fryer. Pair it with a lemon wedge and your favorite dipping sauce for a delightful meal.
Can I use frozen cod fillets in the air fryer?
Yes, you can use frozen cod, but it’s best to thaw them first to ensure even cooking and better crust adhesion. If cooking from frozen, adjust the cooking time and check for doneness.
How do I know when my cod is fully cooked?
Cod is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F (63°C). It should flake easily with a fork, and its color should be opaque.
Can I use other types of fish for this recipe?
Absolutely! While the cooking times may vary slightly, this Parmesan crust works well with other white fish like halibut, haddock, or tilapia.
Why did my Parmesan crust not stick to the cod?
Ensure your cod fillets are patted dry and that you’ve pressed the crust mixture onto the fish firmly. Also, avoid moving or flipping the fish too much during cooking.
Can I store leftover Parmesan-crusted cod?
Yes, but the crust might lose its crispiness. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reheat in the air fryer or oven to restore some of the crust’s crunch.
Can I use regular breadcrumbs instead of panko?
Yes, you can. Panko offers a lighter, crispier texture, but regular breadcrumbs can also work in this recipe.
Is air-fried cod healthier than deep-fried cod?
Yes, air frying uses significantly less oil than deep frying, making it a healthier option. The air fryer achieves a crispy crust without submerging the food in oil.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer?
Some models recommend preheating, while others do not. It’s a good idea to consult your air fryer’s manual, but preheating can result in better browning of the crust.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, substitute the panko or breadcrumbs with a gluten-free variety and ensure all other ingredients used are gluten-free.
How do I prevent the cod from sticking to the air fryer basket?
- Lightly oil the basket or use air fryer parchment paper liners designed to handle high temperatures.
Can I Use Frozen Cod Or Fish Fillets?
Yes, you can; you don’t need to thaw them. Of course, I find it much easier to bread thawed fish. If you only have frozen, toss them into the air fryer. As they defrost, rub some olive oil on them and some seasoning.
If you really want the fish breaded and only have frozen fish, add them to the air fryer, and when they are a bit defrosted, remove them from the air fryer and then bread as directed in the recipe.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Fried Fish?
I personally love a great big salad with mine, but if you are looking for an alternative, here are some of my favorites–
- AIR FRYER TGIF FRIDAY’S GREEN BEAN FRIES
- AIR FRYER STEAK FRIES
- THE BEST AND EASIEST AIR FRYER FRENCH FRIES RECIPE
SOME HELPFUL PRODUCTS USED WHILE MAKING THIS RECIPE-
|Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Don’t Forget To Pin-
Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Cod
- 2 pieces Cod Fillets, about 4 ounces each
- 2-3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs , or Panko
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Start by using a pastry brush and rubbing the olive oil over the fish, then season with salt and black pepper. In a small bowl, mix the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, add the fish, using your hands to coat the fish.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the breaded fish into the air fryer basket, set the temperature to 390 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5-7 minutes.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional