Air Fryer Blackened Cod — Crave restaurant-style blackened cod but don’t want to take a trip out for seafood? Look no further – we’ve got you covered with this easy and tasty air fryer blackened cod recipe!
You’ll have tender, flavorful fish ready in no time. From the exotic seasonings bringing big flavor to the crispiness of the air fryer creating an excellent texture, it’s hard to believe that such restaurant quality results are possible right in your own kitchen. With just minutes of prep required and 10 minutes of cook time, you can get an incredibly delicious meal on your table faster than ever before!
Cod is a light fish with a mild flavor. While today I used cod, you can easily use any mild flavor type of white fish. Some great options are mahi mahi, snapper, haddock, or even snapper.
Why You Will Love Blackened Cod In Air Fryer
Are you ready to take your weeknight meals up a notch? We’ve got an easy and irresistible cod recipe that is sure to be a hit with the whole family — Air Fryer Blackened Cod. This mouthwatering dish combines juicy, flaky whitefish with herbs and spices like paprika and oregano for a real flavor punch. Plus, its lightened-up version cooked in the air fryer allows for the indulgence of delicious flavors without all those extra calories. So get ready to satisfy everyone’s taste buds (and tummies!) by making this quick and easy air-fried fish entrée tonight!
This is a great healthy dinner, with so much flavor, this will soon become of your favorite easy dinners!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Blackened Cod
Whether you’re a passionate home chef or just discovering the ease and deliciousness of air fryer recipes, blackened cod is sure to become one of your go-to meals. This healthy, protein-rich meal can be cooked in under 30 minutes with just a few simple ingredients –or as many as you’d like. While it may sound intimidating, this flavorful dish will quickly prove itself to be worth all the fuss when you won’t even need to break out the frying pan! Read on for an easy guide on what ingredients are necessary for making tasty air fryer blackened cod and tips on how best to complete the recipe.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card, at the bottom of the page, as well as nutritional information.
- Cod: Use a firm piece of cod.Fresh Cod Fillets or Frozen Cod Filets
- Oil: Use high-heat oil such as olive oil, avocado oil, or grapeseed oil.
- Homemade Blackened Seasoning: Includes Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Smoked Paprika, Thyme, OLragno, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, and Cayenne pepper. You can either make your own or use a prepared blackening seasoning mix. For added sweetness add a teaspoon of brown sugar.
How To Cook Blackened Cod In Air Fryer
This is such an easy recipe, perfect for a quick recipe for a busy weeknight. And you only need a few steps for this easy meal.
Step One: Prepare The Cod
In a small bowl add all of the ingredients for the blackening rub, and mix well. Use paper towels and remove the excess moisture from the cod fillets. Then rub the cod filets with oil.,
Rub the seasoning over the top of the fish filets, and the side of the cod. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F, using the air fryer setting, preheat for 2-3 minutes.
Step Two: Air Fry Blackened Cod
Place the blackened fish into the air fryer basket, in a single layer, and set the cooking time for 10-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees f, or until the cod flakes easily with a fork.
Step Three: Serving
Serve with some fresh lime juice or lime zest.
- Cooking Time: The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the cod, for best results, use a meat thermometer, and check the internal temperature frequently as the fish cooks up. Thicker pieces of cod will take longer to cook than cod loins.
- Seasonings: Another great option is cajun spices, for a great easy dinner. For added spice add a dash of chili powder.
What Is Blackened Seasoning
Blackened seasoning is a combination of spices used to create a flavorful crust on meats and fish. It typically includes cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, and black pepper. The ingredients are usually seasoned in butter or oil and then applied to the food before cooking to create a crispy, delicious crust.
How To Serve Blackened Cod
Blackened cod can easily be used in a variety of dishes. Fish tacos stuffed with blackened cod, who doesn’t love a great cod taco, wrapped in corn tortillas?
Or serve alongside crunchy slaw, fruit salsa, pico de gallo, and creamy sauces are sure to please any crowd.
Serve alongside black beans or air fryer baked beans.
What To Serve With Blackened Cod Fish
Blackened cod fish can be served with a variety of sides to create a complete meal. Try serving it with roasted vegetables and a salad, or serve it with a creamy sauce over rice and steamed vegetables. For something simpler, you can also serve blackened cod with boiled potatoes and a green vegetable like asparagus. A fresh squeeze of lemon juice on the cod before serving will add an extra zing of flavor!
How To Store
When it comes to storing blackened cod, proper refrigeration is key. Before putting the cod in the refrigerator, make sure that it is completely cooled off, to room temperature.
The blackened cod should then be wrapped tightly in a double layer of plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or stored in an airtight container. It’s best to use the cod within three days for optimal freshness.
How To Reheat Cod In Air Fryer
To reheat cod in an air fryer, begin by preheating the air fryer to 375°F. Then, lightly spray the frying basket or the bottom of the air fryer with oil. Place your cod into the heated basket and then set your timer for 3-4 minutes, remove when the cod is heated through.
You can also reheat the cod in a heavy skillet, add a couple of tables of melted butter, or a little oil, and reheat until the fish is warmed through.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Cod Fish
- Air Fryer Red Snapper
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- MEXICAN AIR FRYER SWEET POTATOES
- AIR FRYER FRIED POTATO PEELS
- AIR FRYER TRADER JOE’S KALE GNOCCHI
Looking for even more delicious recipe ideas don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter! And leave a star rating after you tried this delicious blackened cod recipe!
Air Fryer Blackened Cod
- 4 6 ounce cod fillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- In a small bowl add all of the ingredients for the blackening rub, and mix well. Use paper towels and remove the excess moisture from the cod fillets. Then rub the cod filets with oil.,
- Rub the seasoning over the top of the fish filets, and the side of the cod. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F, using the air fryer setting, preheat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the blackened fish into the air fryer basket, in a single layer, and set the cooking time for 10-12 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees f, or until the cod flakes easily with a fork.
- Serve with some fresh lime juice or lime zest.
- Air Fryer, Air Fryer Basket or Air Fryer Oven
- Cooking Spay, or Parchment Paper