Keto Air Fryer Fish Sticks — If you have been following a Keto-friendly diet or looking for a recipe for low carb fish recipe, this is the perfect recipe for you! Mae with a few ingredients, this is a recipe that the whole family can enjoy!
The Best Keto Air Fryer Fish Stick Recipe
Embrace the magic of your air fryer with this Keto-friendly twist on a classic favorite. Introducing The Best Keto Air Fryer Fish Sticks – a recipe about achieving that crave-worthy crispy exterior without compromising your low-carb lifestyle. Perfect for a quick meal or a delightful snack, these fish sticks will surely win over both kids and adults. Dive in to discover a healthier way to enjoy a beloved comfort food!
Ingredients Needed For Keto Fish Sticks Air Fryer
If you’re on a keto journey but still crave those nostalgic, crispy fish sticks from childhood, you’re in for a treat! Using the magic of the air fryer, we’ve created a version that’s not only keto-friendly but also irresistibly crunchy and flavorful. With a unique blend of almond flour, savory parmesan, and a dash of spices, these fish sticks will satisfy your cravings without compromising your diet. Dive into the list of ingredients below, and let’s get started on this healthier twist to a beloved classic.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- White Fish Fillets (e.g., cod, haddock, or tilapia): Opt for fresh or defrosted fillets to ensure a flaky texture inside each fish stick.
- Pork Rinds: This is a great way to get the best air fryer keto fish sticks, full of flavor and crunch! These will place the bread crumbs that are traditionally used on fish sticks.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese: Adding a rich, savory touch to the coating enhances the crispiness.
- Large Eggs: The binding agent ensures the almond flour and parmesan coating adheres to the fish.
- Paprika: Adds a mild spicy kick and a dash of color, enhancing the overall flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Imparts a subtle garlic note, bringing depth to the fish sticks.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper: Essential for seasoning and bringing out the fish’s natural flavors.
- Lemon Zest or Lemon Juice (optional): A zesty touch brightens the flavor profile and adds a hint of citrusy freshness.
How To Cook Low-Carb Crunchy Fish Sticks In Air Fryer
Dive into a guilt-free seafood treat with these low-carb, crunchy fish sticks cooked to perfection in an air fryer. A healthier alternative without compromising on flavor, these fish sticks will satisfy your cravings while keeping your carb count in check.
Step One: Prepare Your Dredging Stations
In the first bowl, add the mayonnaise, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper; in the second bowl, add the crushed pork rinds and grated parmesan cheese.
Step Two: Cut Your Fish
Using a sharp knife, cut your fish into stick-sized pieces. Depending on the size of the fish cutlets you are using. Dry the fish with a paper towel; this will help the batter adhere to the fish.
Step Three: Batter Your Fish
Dip the fish into the mayonnaise mixture, then into the pork rind mixture. Use your hands to pat the breading onto the fish sticks.
Step Four: Air Fry The Fish Sticks
Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then add your breaded fish sticks and spray the fish sticks with cooking spray.
Step Five: How Long To Cook Fish Sticks In Air Fryer
Set the temperature to 380 degrees F, and set the cook time for 12-15 minutes, flipping and spraying the fish at the halfway point.
Pro Tips for Cooking Keto Air-Fried Fish Sticks
- Select the Right Fish: Opt for firm white fish like cod, haddock, or tilapia. These hold up well in the air fryer without falling apart.
- Uniform Size: When cutting the fish into sticks, ensure they’re of uniform size. This promotes even cooking and ensures that all the fish sticks are ready simultaneously.
- Dredging Process: Press the fish stick firmly into the almond flour mixture to ensure it sticks well. This will give you a nice, crisp outer layer.
- Don’t Overcrowd: Lay the fish sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Overcrowding might result in uneven cooking.
- Flip Halfway: Flip the fish sticks halfway through the cooking time for even crispiness.
- Check the Internal Temperature: For optimal safety and taste, ensure your fish reaches an internal temperature of at least 145°F (63°C).
- Seasoning Variations: Feel free to experiment with herbs and seasonings in the pork rind mixture. Some popular additions are paprika, lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder, and dried herbs.
- Serve with Low-Carb Dip: Pair these fish sticks with a keto-friendly dip or sauce. Tartar sauce made with keto-friendly mayo or a squeeze of lemon works wonders!
- Freshness Matters: Fresh fish tends to yield the best results, but if you’re using frozen, make sure it’s fully thawed and patted dry.
- Preheat Your Air Fryer: Just like an oven, preheating your air fryer can result in a more even and faster cooking time. Spray your basket with cooking spray or brush with olive oil.
What To Serve With Keto Air Fried Fish Sticks
Serving the right sides with your Keto Air Fried Fish Sticks can elevate your meal to the next level. Here are some delicious and keto-friendly accompaniments:
- Keto Homemade Tartar Sauce: Make your own by combining mayonnaise, dill pickles, fresh dill, lemon juice, and a touch of mustard. This is a classic pairing with fish sticks.
- Green Salad: Fresh greens tossed with olive oil, lemon juice, and feta or goat cheese make a light and refreshing side.
- Cauliflower Mash: A keto-friendly alternative to mashed potatoes. Steam cauliflower florets and blend with butter, cream, garlic, and seasonings.
- Zucchini Fries: Slice zucchini into sticks and lightly bread them with almond flour and parmesan. Air fry until crispy for a delightful pairing.
- Avocado Salsa: A mix of diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. This creamy salsa complements the crunchiness of the fish sticks.
- Keto Coleslaw: Use a sugar-free mayonnaise and skip any added sugar. Fresh cabbage and maybe some shredded carrot, mixed with a creamy dressing, make a great side.
- Roasted Asparagus: Tossed in olive oil, garlic, and a sprinkle of parmesan, roasted asparagus stalks make a nutritious side dish.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup: A creamy, rich soup made with broccoli, cheese, and cream — this is comfort in a bowl.
- Garlic Buttered Green Beans: Sauté green beans in butter and minced garlic for a quick and tasty side.
- Keto Garlic Breadsticks: Made from almond flour, mozzarella, cream cheese and seasoned with garlic powder and herbs.
Don’t forget to use some of your keto-friendly favorite dipping sauces like homemade ranch dressing, spicy mayo, or a cheesy dip to elevate the whole dining experience!
Can I use other types of fish for this recipe?
While white fish like cod, haddock, or tilapia is recommended for its firmness and mild flavor, you can experiment with other types. Just be aware that the texture and taste might vary.
Are these fish sticks suitable for a strict keto diet?
Absolutely! These fish sticks use almond flour instead of traditional breadcrumbs or flour, making them low in carbs and suitable for a keto diet.
How do I store leftover fish sticks?
Allow the fish sticks to cool completely, then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. They can also be frozen for longer storage.
Can I reheat fish sticks in the air fryer?
Yes, reheating in the air fryer will help maintain their crispiness. Cook at 350°F for 3-5 minutes or until heated through.
Can I use coconut flour instead of almond flour?
Coconut flour tends to be more absorbent than almond flour. If you decide to use it, you might need to adjust the quantity and possibly add an extra egg to the wet mix to ensure the coating adheres well.
Why are my fish sticks not crispy?
Ensure you’re not overcrowding the air fryer basket. Overlapping or stacking fish sticks can prevent them from crisping up evenly.
Do I need to thaw frozen fish before making fish sticks?
Yes, it’s best to use thawed fish. If using frozen, thaw completely in the refrigerator and pat dry to remove any excess moisture.
Can I add cheese to the breading mixture?
Certainly! Adding some grated Parmesan can enhance the flavor and add to the crunch.
How do I know when the fish sticks are done?
The fish sticks should have a golden-brown color, and the internal temperature should be at least 145°F (63°C). If unsure, break one open to see if the fish flakes easily.
Can I use this recipe for making fish fillets instead of sticks?
Absolutely! The cooking time might vary depending on the thickness of the fillets, but the process remains largely the same. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Crispy Bacon
- Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes
- Easy Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Air Fryer Keto Fish Sticks
- 1 pound white fish, any type
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups pork rind, ground
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, optional
- In the first bowl add the mayonnaise, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper, in the second bowl, add the crushed pork rinds and grated parmesan cheese.
- Using a sharp knife, cut your fish into stick-sized pieces. Depending on the size of the fish cutlets you are using. Dry the fish with a paper towel, this will help the batter adhere to the fish.
- Dip the fish into the mayonnaise mixture, then into the pork rind mixture. Use your hands to pat the breading onto the fish sticks.
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then add your breaded fish sticks, and spray the fish sticks with cooking spray.
- Set the temperature to 380 degrees F, and set the cooking time for 12-14 minutes, flipping and spraying the fish, at the halfway point.
- Air Fryer
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Cooking Spray, optional
- Allow the fish sticks to cool to room temperature.
- Place the fish sticks in a single layer in an airtight container, using parchment paper between layers to prevent sticking.
- Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, lay the cooled fish sticks on a parchment-lined tray in a single layer.
- Place the tray in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until fish sticks are frozen solid.
- Transfer the frozen fish sticks to a freezer bag, squeezing out as much air as possible before sealing.
- Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- From Refrigeration: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Place fish sticks in a single layer in the basket and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until heated through and crispy.
- From Freezer: Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Cook frozen fish sticks for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway, or until heated through and crispy.