Air Fryer Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes — If you’re looking for a healthy side dish to prepare in your air fryer, try these Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes! They are the perfect accompaniment to any main course and require minimal effort. This is the perfect air fryer Thanksgiving side dish.
The sweet potatoes are the perfect Thanksgiving side dish. They’re easy to prepare, but figuring out what to do with the leftovers is always challenging. The good news is that you can turn leftover baked potatoes into twice-baked potatoes.
It takes just 10 minutes of prep time and very few ingredients! This recipe will help you figure out how to make mashed sweet potatoes on your own, so you never have to rely on store-bought canned mashed pumpkin again!
What Are Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes?
Twice-baked sweet potatoes are a typically savory dish of sliced and mashed sweet potatoes. They can be served as a side dish or on their own with toppings like cheese, bacon bits, and chives.
Air Fryer Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are typically served with mini marshmallows, pecans, and brown sugar topping for Thanksgiving! They are so good! They are a family favorite and kid-friendly side dish, cooked perfectly in the Air Fryer.
Another name for them is double-baked sweet potato, but I love the twice-baked sweet potato recipe!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Are you looking for a tasty side dish that’s healthy and easy to make? If so, air fryer twice-baked sweet potatoes are perfect for any occasion! This recipe requires minimal hands-on time with maximum flavor and will surely be loved by your family and friends. All it takes are some homegrown (or grocery store) sweet potatoes, herbs, spices, butter, cheese, and other simple ingredients. You can whip up these flavorful twice-baked treats in no time at all!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Sweet Potatoes: These nutrient-rich sweet potatoes are the dish’s star, providing natural sweetness and a creamy texture once baked and mashed—large or medium whole sweet potatoes.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps coat the sweet potatoes before air frying, contributing to a crispy skin and enhancing flavor. You can also use avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
- Kosher Salt and Pepper (to taste): A simple seasoning of sea salt or kosher salt and pepper enhances the natural flavors of sweet potatoes.
- Butter: Butter adds richness and a velvety texture to the mashed sweet potato filling.
- Mini Marshmallows: For sweetness and some added texture.
- Maple Syrup Or Brown Sugar: A touch of maple syrup complements the sweetness of the potatoes and adds a delightful hint of caramelized flavor.
- Ground Cinnamon and Ground Nutmeg: Cinnamon lends warm, comforting notes that pair wonderfully with sweet potatoes.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional): Shredded cheddar cheese adds a savory and gooey layer of indulgence to the top of the twice-baked sweet potatoes.
- Chopped Pecans (optional): Chopped pecans provide a delightful crunch and nutty flavor that balances the dish’s sweetness.
- Chopped Fresh Chives or Green Onions (for garnish): Fresh chives or green onions add a pop of color and a mild oniony flavor to the finished dish.
How To Cook Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes In Air Fryer
Are you short on time but still want to whip up a flavorful and healthy holiday side dish? Look no further than these twice-baked air-fried sweet potatoes! Not only are they incredibly easy to make, but they also have amazing flavor thanks to the perfect combination of spices.
Plus, using an air fryer helps reduce unhealthy trans fat while producing golden-brown results that taste almost indistinguishable from oven-baked sweet potatoes. Whether it’s dinner for two or meal-prepping for the whole family, this is one kitchen hack you’ll keep coming back to!
Step One: Prepare The Sweet Potatoes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting for 3-5 minutes. Using a fork, poke multiple holes in each sweet potato. Brush each potato with olive oil, spreading evenly on all sides—place in the air fryer basket.
Step Two: Air Fry The Sweet Potatoes
Set the cooking time for 30-40 minutes until the skin feels dry and wrinkly.
Step Three: Prepare The Sweet Potato Filling
Carefully remove the potatoes from the air fryer and slice them open lengthwise. Scoop each potato into a large bowl and set the potato skin aside. Add brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, and spices to the bowl and blend the potato mixture wtih a hand mixer to create the potato filling.
Evenly scoop the filling into the potato skins, top with chopped pecans, and finish by topping off each potato with mini marshmallows. Place back into the air fryer, and air fry for approximately 4-6 minutes until the marshmallows begin to brown.
Pro Tips For Making Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes In Air Fryer
Here are some pro tips to ensure your Air Fryer Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes turn out perfectly:
- Choose Uniform Sweet Potatoes: Select sweet potatoes that are similar in size to ensure even cooking and consistent texture.
- Pierce the Skin: Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork a few times before air frying. This prevents them from bursting due to steam buildup.
- Coat with Oil: Rub a thin layer of olive oil on the sweet potato skins before air frying. This helps create a crisp outer layer.
- Even Cooking: Rotate the sweet potatoes halfway through the cooking time to ensure they cook evenly on all sides.
- Scoop Carefully: When scooping out the cooked sweet potato flesh, leave a thin layer attached to the skin to maintain structure.
- Mash Well: To create a creamy filling, ensure the sweet potato flesh is thoroughly mashed and smooth.
- Balance Flavors: Adjust the seasonings, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and cinnamon to achieve a balanced flavor profile that suits your taste.
- Use Piping Bag: If you want a visually appealing presentation, consider using a piping bag to fill the potato skins with the mashed mixture.
- Cheese Layer: When adding the shredded cheddar cheese on top, make sure it’s evenly distributed to create a gooey layer.
- Mind the Toppings: If using chopped pecans, sprinkle them on top just before air frying to prevent burning.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer before placing the sweet potatoes inside. This ensures they start cooking immediately and cook more evenly.
- Keep an Eye on Browning: Monitor the sweet potatoes closely as they bake with the cheese on top. Adjust the temperature or time if needed to prevent excessive browning.
- Garnish Last: Add chopped fresh chives or green onions as a garnish just before serving to maintain their vibrant color and flavor.
- Serve Hot: Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are best enjoyed fresh and hot from the air fryer to savor the contrast between crisp skin and creamy filling.
With these pro tips, you’re well-equipped to create a delectable batch of Air Fryer Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes that are visually appealing and flavorful.
Bake In Advance
Twice-baked sweet potatoes are one of my favorite dishes to serve at Thanksgiving. They’re easy to make, and they taste delicious! You can also prepare them beforehand so your prep work is cut in half on the day you plan to serve them.
You can bake for the first time a day or two in advance, then do all your slicing and scooping that same day. Of course, this is the perfect thing to do when wondering what to do with leftover baked sweet potatoes!
Twice Baked Sweet Potato Toppings
The best part about twice-baked potatoes is the toppings. What if you could have all of your favorite things in one place? That’s precisely what this recipe does. It combines sweet potato with various other ingredients that are sure to please any palate!
Some great toppings:
- Marshmallow: Use mini marshmallows to create a creamy topping.
- Streusel: Use a combination of diced pecans, brown sugar, and butter.
- Savory: Bacon, Sour Cream, and Cheese.
How To Make Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes In the Oven
This is a great recipe if you have any leftover baked sweet potatoes, and if you don’t have an air fryer, don’t worry; you can easily make these in the oven. Bake your sweet potatoes in a 400 degrees F preheated oven, and cook for about 50 to 60 minutes until they are fork-tender.
Then follow the directions and return to the oven for 5 to 8 minutes until the toppings are melted.
Can I use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes for this recipe? Absolutely! While this recipe focuses on sweet potatoes, you can use Russet potatoes for a classic twice-baked potato experience. The cook times will vary based on the potato that you are using.
Can I make the filling ahead of time and refrigerate it? Yes, you can prepare the filling ahead of time and refrigerate it. When ready to serve, reheat the filling before stuffing the sweet potato shells and air frying.
How do I prevent the sweet potato skin from becoming too tough in the air fryer? Rubbing the sweet potato skins with oil before air frying helps create a crisp texture without becoming overly tough.
Can I skip the maple syrup in the filling? Of course! The maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness, but you can omit it if you prefer a less sweet dish.
Can I use a different type of cheese for the topping? Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese, such as mozzarella, pepper jack, or even blue cheese, to create your desired flavor profile.
Can I use other toppings besides chopped pecans? Certainly! You can try chopped walnuts, almonds, or even crispy bacon bits as alternatives to chopped pecans.
Can I freeze Air Fryer Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes for later? While it’s possible to freeze them, the texture may change slightly upon reheating due to the moisture content in sweet potatoes. It’s best to enjoy them fresh.
Can I make these without an air fryer? Absolutely! You can follow the same process using a traditional oven. Bake the filled sweet potatoes at around 375°F (190°C) until heated and the cheese is melted.
Can I add other seasonings to the filling? Yes, you can get creative with seasonings! Add a pinch of nutmeg, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, or hot sauce to enhance the flavors. You can also use black beans, sour cream, or BBQ chicken.
How do I reheat leftover Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes? Place them in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes until heated. This helps maintain their crispness.
More Air Fryer Thanksgiving Recipes:
There is nothing better than a great air fryer on Thanksgiving; here are some of my favorites!
- AIR FRYER TURKEY TETRAZZINI
- AIR FRYER ROASTED CAULIFLOWER MASH
- AIR FRYER FUNFETTI CAKE
- AIR FRYER WALNUT CAKE
With these yummy and healthy twice-baked sweet potatoes, made simple with an air fryer, you now have an amazing side dish or snack to impress your friends and family. Try this easy air fryer recipe, and let us know what you think in the comments below! Let us know your favorite way to enjoy this wonderful, easy side dish for your holiday meal. Finally, check out our other amazing recipes for even more delicious ideas. Happy cooking!
Air Fryer Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup pecans, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, air fryer setting. Using a fork, poke multiple holes in each sweet potato. Brush each potato with olive oil, making sure to spread evenly on all sides—place in the air fryer basket. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until the skin starts to feel dry and wrinkly.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the air fryer, slice them open lengthwise. Scoop each potato into a medium-sized bowl, set potato skin aside. Add brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, and spices to the bowl and blend to create the potato filling.
- Evenly scoop the filling into the potato skins, top with chopped pecans, and finish by topping off each potato with the mini marshmallows. Place back into the air fryer and air fry for approximately 4 to 6minutes, until the marshmallows begin to brown.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer