Looking for a delicious and easy appetizer? These air fryer buffalo chicken wontons are perfect! They are simple to make and taste amazing. You will love how crispy they are. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, and you will be the hit of the party!
Looking for a quick and delicious party appetizer? Look no further than these Buffalo Chicken Wontons! Made with just a few simple ingredients and ready in under 20 minutes, these wontons will surely be a hit at any gathering.
Mix chicken, cream cheese, hot sauce, cheddar cheese, green onions, and spoon into wonton wrappers. Bake in the oven until the wontons are crispy, and serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping. These Buffalo Chicken Wontons are a crowd-pleasing appetizer that can be made quickly! Give them a try at your next party or game day gathering. Your guests will be begging for the recipe!
What Are Buffalo Chicken Wontons?
Buffalo chicken wontons are a popular appetizer or snack that combines the flavors of buffalo sauce and shredded chicken inside a crispy wonton wrapper. These bite-sized treats can be deep-fried, baked, or even air fried for a healthier option.
Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, ranch, or blue cheese dressing for an irresistible party snack. Want to try making your own at home? Look for recipes online or in cookbooks for a tasty twist on the classic chicken wing. Ready to up your game?
Experiment with different fillings, such as BBQ pulled pork or spicy shrimp, for a unique spin on this crowd-pleasing treat. No matter how you prepare them, buffalo chicken wontons will surely be a hit at any gathering. So go ahead and give them a try – your taste buds will thank you!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wontons
I know what you’re thinking. Buffalo chicken wings in a wonton wrapper? Brilliant! Well, I’m here to tell you that not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make, thanks to your handy dandy air fryer. So gather up your ingredients, and let’s get started!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Wonton Wrappers: Use regular Wonton wrappers, but you can cut egg roll wrappers in half if you can’t find Wonton wrappers. They are in the produce department at most American grocery stores, near the tofu.
- Cream Cheese: Use regular or low-fat cream chees, at room temperature.
- Shredded Chicken: I make my shredded chicken in the air fryer, and it’s so good, a great way to use a rotisserie chicken.
- Shredded Cheese: You can also add blue cheese for a traditional flavor. Also, shredded mozzarella cheese and pepper jack (for some spice) would be amazing flavors!
- Green Onions: Adds a great bite and adds color to the wontons.
- Hot Sauce: Use your favorite hot sauce, we used Frank’s Red Hot sauce, but you can use any variety of hot sauce!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Wontons Air Fryer
Are you craving something spicy and crispy but don’t want to break the bank on takeout? Look no further- we have a delicious recipe for buffalo chicken wontons that you can make right at home in your air fryer! Not only is this dish quick and easy, but it’s also packed full of flavor.
Get ready for an explosion of taste with these tantalizing wontons – they will become one of your favorite recipes! We’ll show you how to whip up a crunchy batch on the outside and full of rich buffalo flavor inside. And with just a few simple ingredients, there’s no need to wait for delivery when you can have homemade snacks any time!
Step One: In a large bowl, add the shredded chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and hot sauce.
Step Two: Mix well until all the chicken is coated with the sauce.
Step Three: Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray, and then add the wonton wrapper into the muffin tin, pressing the edges firmly. Set the muffin tin into the air fryer basket, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees F, air fryer setting.
Serve: Serve them with your favorite sauce!
Pro Tips For The Best Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Looking for the perfect party appetizer? These air-fried buffalo chicken wontons are sure to please! Made with a crispy wonton wrapper and a delicious buffalo chicken filling, they’re irresistible. Follow these pro tips for the best results:
- Quality Ingredients:
- Use high-quality chicken, preferably chicken breast, for a tender and juicy filling.
- For hot sauce, use a brand you love with great flavor. The traditional choice would be Frank’s RedHot sauce.
- Cook Chicken Properly:
- Ensure the chicken is cooked until it’s tender and can be easily shredded. You can poach, bake, or even slow-cook it.
- Alternatively, consider grilling the chicken before shredding it for a smoky twist.
- Don’t just rely on hot sauce. Complement the buffalo flavor with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Some chefs like to add a splash of Worcestershire sauce for added depth.
- Use cream cheese or blue cheese to add creaminess to the wontons. Blue cheese, in particular, is traditional with buffalo chicken and can provide a tangy counterbalance to the heat.
- Wonton Wrapping:
- Ensure the wonton wrappers are fresh and not dried out. If they start to dry, cover them with a damp cloth while assembling.
- Don’t overfill the wrappers; otherwise, they might burst during cooking. A teaspoon of filling is typically sufficient.
- Use a mixture of cornstarch and water or just plain water to seal the edges of the wontons. Ensure they’re sealed tightly to prevent any leaks during frying.
- Cooking Technique:
- Deep-frying will give you a crispy and golden result. Ensure the oil is at the right temperature (around 350°F or 175°C). They should sizzle upon entering and float when ready.
- If you want a lighter version, consider baking or air-frying the wontons.
- Serve with a Dip:
- A blue cheese dip or ranch dressing pairs perfectly with buffalo chicken flavors. Provide celery sticks on the side for an authentic experience!
- For freshness and color contrast, consider sprinkling freshly chopped chives or green onions.
- It’s always a good idea to fry one or two wontons first to test. This way, you can adjust the seasoning or frying time if needed.
Remember, the beauty of buffalo chicken wontons is the combination of crispy, spicy, and creamy. Keeping these textures and flavors in balance will ensure a delightful snack or appetizer!
What is a Buffalo Chicken Wonton?
A Buffalo Chicken Wonton is a fusion appetizer combining the flavors of spicy Buffalo chicken with the crispy texture of a fried Wonton wrapper. It usually contains shredded chicken, Buffalo sauce, and sometimes cream cheese or blue cheese, all wrapped up and fried (or baked) until golden.
Can I make Buffalo Chicken Wontons ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare the filling and stuff the wontons in advance. Place them on a tray, cover, and refrigerate. When you’re ready, fry or bake them. However, once cooked, they are best eaten immediately for optimal crispiness.
Can I bake instead of frying?
Absolutely! Baking offers a lighter alternative to frying. Place the wontons on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly brush with oil. Bake at 400°F (200°C) until golden brown, typically 10-15 minutes.
Can I freeze Buffalo Chicken Wontons?
Yes. After assembling the wontons, lay them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Then, transfer them to a freezer bag or container. They can be cooked directly from the freezer; add some extra minutes to the frying or baking time.
What’s the best dip for Buffalo Chicken Wontons?
Traditional dips include blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing. Both complement the spicy kick of the Buffalo sauce nicely.
What kind of chicken is best?
Chicken breast is a popular choice due to its lean nature and ease of shredding. However, chicken thighs can provide a juicier result if preferred.
Can I use store-bought Buffalo sauce?
Yes, store-bought Buffalo sauce works well. If you have a preferred brand or heat level, use it.
Can I add vegetables to the filling?
Certainly! Diced celery is a great addition, as it complements the Buffalo flavor and adds a bit of crunch. Other options include diced carrots or green onions.
How can I ensure my wontons are crispy?
Whether frying or baking, ensure they’re not overcrowded, as this can cause them to steam instead of crisp up. If frying, ensure the oil is hot enough (around 350°F or 175°C).
Are there any variations to the traditional Buffalo Chicken Wonton?
Absolutely! Creativity is encouraged. Some people add crumbled bacon, swap out blue cheese for feta, or even add a touch of BBQ sauce to the mix. The possibilities are endless based on personal preferences.
What Sauces To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Another option is to mix equal parts of hot sauce and ranch dressing for a creamy, spicy combo. Other suggestions include honey mustard or barbecue sauce. Ultimately, the best sauce for buffalo chicken wontons will depend on personal preference.
How To Store Buffalo Chicken Wontons
Once the buffalo chicken wontons have been cooked in the air fryer, they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
To reheat, place them back in the air fryer for a few minutes until warmed through. These buffalo chicken wontons can also be frozen and reheated in the air fryer for a quick and easy snack.
More Air Fryer Recipes
Looking for more air fryer appetizer recipes? Here are some of my air-fryer favorites!
- AIR FRYER FLATBREAD SANDWICH
- AIR FRYER BUTTER BOARD VIRAL TIKTOK RECIPE
- HOW TO REHEAT CALZONE IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER RED POTATOES RECIPE
- AIR FRYER SALT AND VINEGAR POTATO CHIPS
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- 1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1 pound chicken, shredded and cooked
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- 24 wonton wrappers
Serving: Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing
- In a large bowl, add the shredded chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and hot sauce.
- Mix well, until all of the chicken is coated with the sauce.
- Spray your muffin tin with cooking spray, and then add the wonton wrapper into the muffin tin, pressing the edges firmly. Set the muffin tin into the air fryer basket, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees F, air fryer setting.
- Serve them with your favorite sauce, and sliced green onions.
- Air Fryer
- Muffin Pan
- Cooking Spray