Make Babybel Cheese in the air fryer for a quick, easy, and healthy way to enjoy this snack food. The inside gets nice and gooey while the outside is crispy, seasoned perfection. Plus, you can enjoy a healthier version of fried Babybel cheese without all the extra oil and fat. Give it a try today!
Babybel Cheese Recipes
Do you love fried cheese? I know I do! And, it’s so easy to make at home. These crispy Babybel Cheese bites are the perfect appetizer for your next party, especially during football or hockey season. Plus, they’re kid-friendly and taste great served with a side of marinara sauce.
This is truly one of the best Babybel cheese recipes you could make. Gooey mozzarella cheese is coated in a crispy breadcrumb coating seasoned with herbs and spices. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
Once you’ve tried this Babybel air fryer recipe, check out more of my favorite Air Fryer Cheese Recipes including AIR FRYER FROZEN CHEESE CURDS, AIR FRYER SMOKED CREAM CHEESE, AIR FRYER PANERA FOUR CHEESE SOUFFLE, and AIR FRYER TRADER JOE’S BREAD CHEESE.
Why You’ll Love Fried Babybel Cheese
- Quick and easy snack or appetizer
- Easy to customize with spices and herbs
- Can be make gluten-free and Keto-friendly
- Perfect for the whole family
Watch How To Make This Babybel Air Fryer Recipe
What Is Babybel Cheese?
Babybel cheese is a small snack cheese made by Bel Group that comes individually wrapped in small rounds. It’s described as 100% real semisoft cheese goodness and comes in a variety of flavors including:
- Original Cheese
- Light Cheese
- White Cheddar Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Gouda Cheese
- Sharp Original Cheese
Any variety will work for this Babybel air fryer recipe, and you can seriously change it up. Next time, I think I will do a Gouda Fried Babybel Cheese because I really think my husband would love it. He is a HUGE gouda fan.
Ingredients Needed To Make Air Fried Cheese
For complete ingredients and quantities, keep on scrolling until you get to the bottom with a printable recipe card.
- BabyBel Snack Cheese: Any variety will work. Today, I went with classic mozzarella cheese.
- Flour: Used for the coating
- Breadcrumbs or Panko: Italian breadcrumbs come already seasoned (so you can skip the added spices), while Panko makes air fried cheese extra crunchy.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Spices: Dried Oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper.
- Serving: Marinara sauce for dipping.
How To Cook Babybel Cheese In Air Fryer
Step 1: Set up your dredging station
In one bowl, mix the flour, salt, and pepper.
Whisk together the egg and water in a second bowl.
For the third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and basil.
Step 2: Prep the snack cheese
Place a cheese round into the flour mixture, coating both sides.
Dip it in the egg wash, let the excess drip off, then place it into the breadcrumb mixture. Flip and pat so the coating adheres to all sides.
Place on a baking sheet and repeat until all of the snack cheese is coated. Then, place the pan in the freezer and freeze until solid, about 1 to 2 hours.
Step 3: Air fry breaded cheese
Spray your air fryer basket with olive oil. Set the FROZEN cheese into the air fryer, then spray the tops with more olive oil.
Cook at 360 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 3 minutes. Flip with a pair of tongs, spray again with olive oil, then cook air fried cheese for another 3 minutes.
Note: This recipe will not work unless the cheese is completely frozen.
Pro Tips & Variations:
- Freeze first: You need to make sure that the snack cheese is frozen solid before air frying. Otherwise, the cheese will completely melt and burn, creating a giant mess in your air fryer.
- Spray with oil: If you want the golden color on your Babybel air fryer cheese, make sure to spray generously with cooking spray.
- Do not crowd your air fryer basket: Otherwise, the snack cheese will not crisp up correctly. Leave plenty of space between each round so the air can circulate.
- Flip halfway: Depending on your air fryer, you may need to flip them halfway during the cooking process so they crisp and brown on both sides.
- Gluten-Free Version: Use gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs. My favorites are 4C Premium Bread Crumbs or Michelle Farms Gluten-Free Italian Bread Crumbs.
- Keto or Low-Carb Options: Use grounded pork rinds or Appel Foods-Nut Crumbs, which are sugar-free and low-carb, in place of the breadcrumbs. Be sure to use the appropriate flour substitute as well.
- Seasonings: I love adding some hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the egg mixture for some heat. You can also add finely chopped fresh herbs instead of dried to make these pop in your mouth.
Can I Put Cheese In Air Fryer?
You can put cheese in the air fryer, but it’s best if you freeze it first. This way, it becomes soft and gooey instead of melting all over the basket.
If the cheese is one part of a recipe — say my AIR FRYER CHEESEBURGER PIZZA — then you don’t need to freeze it first.
When adding slices on top of hamburger patties or hot dogs, do so during the last few minutes of air frying.
What Dipping Sauces Should I Serve With Air Fried Cheese?
Whether you are serving Babybel cheese recipes or another type of fried cheese, you’ll need something to dunk it in! Here are some of my favorites:
- HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE RECIPE
- EASY SWEET CHILI SAUCE
- SMOKEY SOUTHERN COMEBACK SAUCE
- ALFREDO DIP
- HOMEMADE BLUE-CHEESE DRESSING
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes! Prepare as directed, then freeze on a parchment-lined baking sheet until they are frozen solid. Remove and place them into a freezer bag. They will last for about 2 to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat, simply pop them back into the air fryer until crispy and warmed through. These make the perfect last-minute snack or appetizer.
More Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes:
- AIR FRYER SPANAKOPITA
- AIR FRYER SHOESTRING FRENCH FRIES
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT RED LOBSTER STUFFED MUSHROOMS
- AIR FRYER SLOPPY JOE CUPS
- AIR FRYER ROASTED MINI PEPPERS
- AIR FRYER FRIED OLIVES
Air Fryer Babybel Cheese
- 1 package Babybel Cheese, approximately 8
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
Serve with Marinara Sauce (optional)
- Set up three bowls for your work bowls. In one bowl, mix the flour, salt, and pepper. The other bowl will have your egg and water mixed in the third bowl, mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and basil.
- Place the cheese into the flour, shaking off the excess, then adding it to the egg wash, letting the excess drip off, and then into the bread crumb mixture, patting it down, so they adhere to the cheese
- As you coat the cheese, place them on a baking sheet. After you have finished breading all of the cheese, place the baking tray into the freezer.
- Freeze until they are solid, 1 to 2 hours.
- Then spray your air fryer basket with olive oil.
- Set the FROZEN cheese into the air fryer, spray with olive oil spray.
- Time 360 degrees F, for 3 minutes, flip them with a pair of tongs, spray again with olive oil, and then air fry for another 3 minutes. (use air fryer setting)
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray