Growing up in an Italian household, this soup was a staple in our house, we always had some on hand. Typically in an Italian household, this soup is made with any fresh vegetables on hand that the chef/cook wants to use up. One week we would have extra green vegetables, another week we would have extra squash. I would really depend on what my mother bought at the grocery store and what we didn’t use up. This soup is also very budget friendly as you can switch out vegetables that are on sale, for those not on sale.
Today, I am attempting to make a copycat version of the extremely popular Italian Wedding Soup, with Homemade Meatballs There is a long list of ingredients but most of them you will probably have on hand, they also use a ton of dried spices, so feel free to switch them out for fresh herbs. I usually grab a couple of fresh herbs, today I found a great sale on fresh basil and oregano, both of which make my kitchen smell wonderful.
Using the Instant Pot to make soups is a great time saver in the one pot, you can use the entire pot for preparing the ingredients, for almost any variety of soup.
The Instant Pot takes away the need to spend hours and hours simmering the soup, which will save you a ton of time and eventually a lot of money, because who really wants to spend all that time in front of a stove anymore? That is why they invented canned soups, so with an Instant Pot in your kitchen arsenal, you will be cooking more and buying less processed foods.
No matter what soup you make they all usually start of the same:
- Saute your vegetables or even meats in the Instant Pot
- Then add your liquids.
- Season the soup, use great spices that will enhance the flavor.
Some tips making soup in the Instant Pot,
- Let the soup naturally release, otherwise, you might create a mess for yourself in the kitchen.
- Make sure that you do not fill the Instant Pot over the max fill line.
- Be careful when you open the Instant Pot, the steam will be extremely hot, and you could burn yourself
If you have any soup leftover, here are some great tips for freezing soup:
- Allow the soup to cool, to at least room temperature. There is nothing worse than putting hot soup in the freezer, next to a cold item and having them start to defrost.
- Place the soup in a freezer bag, or freezer safe container. **Remember that liquids expand during the freezing process, so be careful not to overfill.
- Label, date your freezer bags or containers.
- If you are using bags, lay them flat in your freezer, this will allow you to stack them.
Start by making your meatballs-add the ground meat to a large mixing bowl.
Add your egg, to bind the ingredients together.
Start rolling your meatballs, they should be very small. Then pop into a cookie sheet, sprayed with
Then pop in the frozen meatballs, and the pasta.
Set manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
(Remember for more detailed directions look at the printable recipe)
Here are some other really popular soup recipes!!
Olive Garden-Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Copycat)
Kitchen Items Used: (* Note: Affiliate links are included)
Don’t Forget to Pin:
- 1 pound ground meat
- 1/4 cup Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 64 ounces chicken broth or stock
- 6 ounces ditalini pasta
- 8 ounces frozen spinach
Start by making the meatballs, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the meat, breadcrumbs, cheese, egg, and spices.
Mix well. Then roll them out on a greased baking sheet (about 1 teaspoon). Pop into the freezer for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, add the chicken broth (stock), spinach and pasta to the Instant Pot, mix well. Then add the frozen meatballs.
Add the lid on to the Instant Pot, making sure that the vent is sealed, set the manual high pressure for 4 minutes.
Let the pressure naturally release, when the time is up.
When all of the pressure has been released from the Instant Pot, open the lid (it should freely open, NEVER force a lid open)
Season with additional salt and pepper, garnish with Parmesan cheese if you would like.
Ladle into a bowl, and enjoy!