Instant Pot French Onion Soup — I’m sure by now everyone has heard of the Instant Pot. If you haven’t, where have you been hiding? It’s a multi-function appliance that has taken the world by storm. Some people are obsessed with it, and others are still on the fence. I come from a family of cooks, so I was always hesitant to buy one because I thought I knew how to cook. But then I started hearing all these fantastic things about it and decided to try it. And boy, am I glad I did! The first dish I made in it was this French onion soup, and it was incredible!
With the help of the Instant Pot, you can make this classic soup in minutes! The sweet taste and the deep flavor are amazing! And, of course, adding a slice of bread on top of the soup makes this amazing meal! I love serving mine with fresh thyme!
Instant Pot French Onion Soup is amazing! It’s rich, and it’s full of flavor. Top it off with the classic French Bread, from the caramelized onions to the melted cheese. It is a winner on any stormy or winter night.
I love making soups, and with the Instant Pot, you can make them in about half the time of stove-top cooking. If you have not tried making soups in the Instant Pot, you miss out; they’re truly earth-shattering!
I love a great pot of soup. The broth and the caramelized onions add so much flavor you will find it hard to believe that you made this in less than 10 minutes.
Once you become addicted to making Soups in the Instant Pot, check out more of these delicious and easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes, INSTANT POT CREAM OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP, INSTANT POT BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP, INSTANT POT HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP, and INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND GNOCCHI SOUP (OLIVE GARDEN COPYCAT).
What Is French Onion Soup?
French Onion Soup is truly a classical soup and has been around since Roman times. One of the reasons is the ingredients are so plentiful and inexpensive, and it soon became a favorite around the globe.
French Onion Soup migrated to the United States. Thanks to Henri Mouquin back in 1861, he added the iconic cheese and bread on top.
The soup is commercially made by Campbells and other manufacturers and remains one of America’s favorite soups.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot French Onion Soup
This is an easy french onion soup recipe with a few simple ingredients.
- Onions: Use any onion, yellow onions, red onions, white onions, Vidalia onions, or sweet onions.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter. This is the base of the French Onion Soup, which makes it creamy!
- Olive Oil
- Broth: You can use vegetarian broth, chicken broth, or beef broth.
- Gruyere Cheese: The traditional cheese used in classical French Onion Soup!
- French bread or French Baguette: Buy extra to serve alongside; nothing is better than crusty bread for dipping! You can also use sourdough bread.
- Seasonings/Spices: Thyme, Salt, and Black Pepper.
- Oven-Safe Bowls or Individual Ovenproof Bowls
How To Make Instant Pot French Onion Soup
Step One: Start by slicing the onions thin. Once they are done, add the butter and oil to your Instant Pot Bowl, then press the saute button. Once the butter starts to melt and the oil is hot, add your onions.
Pro Tip: Remember to mix the bottom of the pot, so they don’t stick and eventually burn. Or you will get a BURN notice.
Step Two: Add your broth or stock once the onions are cooked. Then add your lid, move your valve to the sealing position, and set the manual high pressure for 10 minutes; when the timer beeps, just let it naturally release.
When you can, remove the lid, and mix well.
Step Three: Add a baguette slice into each broiler-safe bowls, then ladle soup. Top each bowl with a portion of cheese.
Place your bowls onto a baking tray, then broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove and let the soup cool a bit before serving.
The Best Onions for French Onion Soup
While you can use any onions for a traditional French Onion Soup, I find that regular onions sweat and caramelize more than sweet onions.
However, most people associate carmelize onions with being a dark brown color. This is not true. The more you caramelize your onions, the soup will turn bitter. So, for best results, sweat the onions until they are soft and golden brown.
Most chefs use a combination of red onions, shallots, sweet onions, and regular onions for the best combination of flavors.
Best Cheese for French Onion Soup
The traditional cheese used for a classical French Onion Soup is Gruyere. Although you can easily switch this out for other cheese, if you are going for a classic French Onion Soup, reach for slices or shredded Gruyere.
Most American Grocery Stores sell Gruyere in slices, making it easy to purchase and use in the recipe.
If you can not find Gruyere Cheese, reach for Swiss Cheese, Sharp Cheddar, Jarlsberg, or Emmental. They all will make suitable replacements; there is nothing better than gooey cheese!
How To Eat French Onion Soup
This soup is really hearty that can be eaten by itself for a great lunch or dinner. Typically served with a loaf of French Bread, it’s hearty.
I usually pair my French Onion Soup with a large garden salad or grilled chicken.
How To Store
This is a great soup you can easily make and will last for about a week in the refrigerator. Although, it is important not to add the bread until ready to serve. Let the soup cool to room temperature, then place it in an airtight container.
To use from the refrigerator, heat up leftover soup, in a saucepan, over medium heat, or in the microwave. Then add the bread and cheese. Place the bowl into the broiler right before serving.
Can You Freeze French Onion Soup?
To freeze, you will only be freezing the soup. You will add the bread and cheese upon preparation for serving.
Let the soup cool to room temperature, and then ladle the soup into freezer-safe containers. The soup will last between 1 to 2 months. To use frozen, place the frozen French Onion Soup into the refrigerator overnight, then heat up in the microwave or a saucepan.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Below is a classical French Onion Soup made in our pressure cooker. If you are looking for even more Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi Soup Recipes, check out the following:
- Instant Pot Cream of Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup
- How to Make Vegetable Broth in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Homemade Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken and Gnocchi Soup (Copycat Olive Garden Recipe)
Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- 4 large onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups chicken broth or stock (you can use vegetable for vegan recipe)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large loaf French Bread
- 1 pound Gruyere Cheese
- Start by slicing the onions thin. Once you have them done, add the butter and oil to your Instant Pot Bowl, then press the saute button.
- Once the butter starts to melt, and the oil is hot, add your onions.
- Remember to keep on moving the onions so they don't stick and then eventually burn.
- Once the onions are cooked, add your broth or stock.
- Then add your lid, and set the manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the timer beeps, just let it naturally release.
- When you can, remove the lid, mix well.
- Then place a piece of french bread into each bowl, then pour the soup into them. Top each bowl with a portion of cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted.
- Remove and let the soup cool a bit before serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Instant Pot