Here is a great recipe, which is a twist on a basic air fried chicken dish, last year, I used the grill to make this chicken dish, and my kids loved it so, I decided to try it in the air fryer.
The sauce adds a great flavor to the chicken, along with the rub. My kids love it because it reminds them of fried chicken, but better because they can have it at home. This chicken is moist, flavorful, and has a great texture as well. My entire family ate it, and it can be made ahead of time, just cover it with aluminum foil and keep it in the refrigerator, until ready to eat.
I purchased our air fryer last April, and then I purchased another air fryer in December, and yet, I just ordered another one this week. It has quickly become one of our favorite kitchen appliances, and it replaced my oven. The other day, I was dusting my oven, and I was thinking, when was the last time, I used this?
The air fryer is nice and light and with very little oil, you too can get healthy, crisped dinners (chicken, etc). And, it saves you a ton of time, because it doesn’t require you to wait for the oven to preheat, and the dishes quickly cook, compared to the oven.
Here are some tips for air frying chicken:
- Seasoning your chicken is important.
- Most chicken dishes can be rubbed and then set into the refrigerator ahead of time. So, when you come home from work/errands/kids, etc., you can just place it in the air fryer, spray it with olive oil spray and air fryer.
- Spraying the chicken with olive oil spray is one of the keys. I spray the heck of out of, and I always get no white spots and tender (way juicy) chicken.
- Always flip the chicken halfway, and then spray again. This way both sides are nice, light, and tender.
- Because eating uncooked chicken is unhealthy and can you sick, invest in a meat thermometer.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
DON’T FORGET TO PIN–
- 2 pounds assorted chicken thighs and legs
- Southern Spice Blend:
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dried paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peper
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce (depending on how hot you like it)
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices.
- Add the olive oil into the spice mixture.
- Use your hands and rub the spices and olive oil into the chicken.
- Then in another small mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt, and pepper. (about a teaspoon each)
- Then in another mixing bowl add the eggs, hot sauce, water, and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Dredge the chicken into the flour mixture, use your hands to really coat the chicken.
- Then shake the excess off.
- Soak the chicken in the buttermilk mixture.
- Then recoat it in the flour mixture.
- Spray your basket with olive oil spray.
- As you coat the chicken for the second time, place it in the air fryer basket.
- Then GENEROUSLY spray the chicken with olive oil (this helps it crisp up)
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, for 15-20 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!