Air Fried Mac and Cheese Bites are an easy, delicious appetizer that your family will love! Made with just a few simple ingredients, these cheesy morsels are a wonderful way to add some comfort food flavor to your dining table.
Mac and Cheese Bites Air Fryer Recipe
Fried mac and cheese bites are a classic fan favorite, and they are surprisingly easy to make at home! All you need is your favorite leftover mac and cheese recipe (homemade or boxed), shaped into bite-sized pieces, fried in a pan with oil or butter until golden brown, and served with your favorite sauce.
The homemade version of this comforting snack uses high-quality ingredients like real cheddar cheese that give these air fryer mac and cheese bites an unbeatable flavor. Whether you’re serving them as an appetizer before dinner or taking them along for a picnic, homemade mac and cheese bites are sure to be a hit!
They are the perfect appetizer and a great recipe for leftover Stouffer’s Mac and Cheese! And of course, who doesn’t love using up leftovers? This will soon become one of your favorite recipes, which you can make with any kind of mac and cheese!
The air fryer is the perfect tool for making these bites because it cooks them quickly and evenly without needing any extra oil or butter. The result is golden brown cheese pockets that have a crunchy exterior and oozing creaminess on the inside. Don’t worry, I’m sharing everything you need to know about how to air fry mac and cheese bites below.
Serve them alone as an appetizer or top them with bacon bits, chives, and/or hot sauce for a unique take on loaded fries. No matter how you serve them, this mac and cheese bites air fryer recipe is sure to be a hit.
The end result will be cheesy bites, perfect for game day, a fun appetizer, or a great side dish!
Why You’ll Love These Fried Mac and Cheese Bites
- The perfect comfort food
- Creamy and cheesy on the inside with a crunchy exterior
- Easy to make at home
Ingredients Needed for This Macaroni and Cheese Bites Air Fryer Recipe
- Cold Macaroni and Cheese: Use any of your favorite brands! You can use homemade macaroni and cheese or leftover mac and cheese.
- Egg: Use a large, room-temperature egg white.
- Seasoned Bread Crumbs: Use your favorite panko breadcrumbs.
- Dipping Sauce: A great way to serve these is with buffalo sauce or homemade cheese sauce!
How To Make Air Fyrer Mac and Cheese Bites
Step 1: Form the mac bites
Take a small scoop of your mac and cheese. I used a cookie scoop, but you can use a measuring spoon or a regular spoon. Roll the macaroni and cheese into a ball using the palms of your hands or the back of a spoon.
Step 2: Bread the crispy mac and cheese bites
In a shallow bowl, add your egg white and whisk it with a fork. In another shallow dish, add the panko bread crumbs. Dip your mac and cheese balls into the egg mixture, followed by coating it in the breadcrumbs. For best results, use your hands and press the panko breadcrumbs into the macaroni balls.
Step 3: Air fry mac and cheese bites
Either spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray or add parchment paper to the air fryer basket. Place the macaroni pasta into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Set your air fryer to 380 degrees F, using the air fryer setting, and air fry mac and cheese bites for 8-10 minutes, or until they are slightly browned.
Step 4: Serve
Serve your fried mac and cheese bites with your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips For Making Homemade Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites
- Seasonings and Spices: If you want, you can add some cheese to the panko mixture. Some great options are Parmesan, Monterey Jack, Pecorino Romano, and even cream cheese!
- Preheated Air Fryer: There is no need to preheat your air fryer.
- Cooking Spray: For the golden color, brush the surface with melted butter or olive oil. The added bit of fat will give this mac and cheese bites air fryer recipe a golden-rich color.
How To Store Leftover Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites
When storing leftovers from this macaroni and cheese bites air fryer recipe, it’s important to take the necessary steps to ensure they stay fresh. Proper storage of these delicious bites will help maintain their flavor and texture. Here are some tips for storing your leftover mac and cheese bites:
- Storing: Place the bites in an airtight container or sealed plastic bag once they have cooled completely — too soon, and the heat will cause condensation which will make them soggy. Also, refrigerate the bites within two hours of cooking. Place the container or bag in the refrigerator and store it for up to four days.
- Freezer: If you plan to store the bites for longer than four days, they can be frozen. Place them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then remove and wrap them in plastic wrap and place them into a large Freezer Bag. They will last in the freezer for 2-3 months.
What Kind of Macaroni and Cheese Should I Use For This Mac and Cheese Bites Air Fryer Recipe?
I used the boxed version — my kid’s favorite brand of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. However, a perfect thing to use would be the refrigerated macaroni and cheese sold in grocery stores.
Here are some of my favorite macaroni and cheese brands:
- Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
- Annie’s Mac and Cheese
- Bob Evans Macaroni and Cheese (found in the refrigerated section)
- Hormel Macaroni & Cheese (found in the refrigerated section)
- Panera Macaroni & Cheese (usually found in the deli section — this makes for an extra creamy mac and cheese bite!)
What Type of Sauce Should I Serve With This Macaroni and Cheese Bites Air Fryer Recipe?
There are so many sauces that are great with this macaroni and cheese bites air fryer recipe! Here are some of my favorites:
How Do You Make Trader Joe’s Mac And Cheese Bites In An Air Fryer?
These are absolutely perfect for the air fryer. I have an entire post dedicated to Trader Joe’s Mac and Cheese Bites that I definitely recommend checking out.
In the meantime, I would advise you to keep them frozen. The best way to cook frozen foods is to keep them completely frozen before air frying.
Place the frozen Trader Joe’s Mac and Cheese Bites into the air fryer and set to 370 degrees F for 8-10 minutes on the air fryer setting. Voila!
How Do You Cook Frozen Mac And Cheese Bites?
Keep them frozen — otherwise, they will turn mushy. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Then place them into the oven for 9 to 12 minutes, flipping once. Cook until the air fryer mac and cheese bites are golden brown.
How To Cook Stouffer’s Brand Frozen Mac and Chees Balls In Air Fryer
If you love the flavor of Stouffer’s Brand, here is how to cook them in the air fryer:
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F and cook for 6 minutes.
- Check the center of one of the cheese balls with a food thermometer; it should read 165 degrees F.
You can also simply follow the instructions on the package of mac and cheese balls!
More Cheesy Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER CHEESE BALLS
- AIR FRYER PANERA FOUR CHEESE SOUFFLE
- AIR FRYER BACON AND CHEESE STUFFED CRESCENT ROLLS
- AIR FRYER KETO GARLIC CHEESE BREAD
- AIR FRYER HALLOUMI CHEESE TOAST
Air Fried Mac and Cheese Bites
- 2 cups macaroni and cheese, cooked, and cold
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned
- Take a small scoop of your mac & cheese. Are used a cookie scoop, but you can use a measuring spoon or a regular spoon. Roll the mac & cheese into a ball using the palms of your hands.
- Dip your mac & cheese balls into the egg mixture, followed by coating it in the breadcrumbs.
- Place your mac & cheese balls into your air fryer.
- Set your air fryer to 380 degrees F, and cook for eight minutes, or until they are slightly browned
- Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray, or Parchment Paper