This Air Fryer Mac and Cheese is creamy, comforting, and incredibly cheesy. This spin on TikTok mac and cheese is faster and easier!
There is nothing better for lunch or dinner than a comforting bowl of Homemade Creamy Mac and Cheese, perfectly cooked in the Air Fryer!
If you watch anything on TikTok, you are probably familiar with the viral TikTok mac and cheese videos! Essentially, you put dried pasta and the rest of your ingredients in the casserole dish and bake. Then the result is incredibly cheesy mac and cheese.
Well…I have taken it to a whole new level. Air fryer mac and cheese is made with same concepts as the TikTok mac and cheese, but it’s a whole lot faster.
While you are at it, be sure to try my Copycat Recipe for Kraft Mac & Cheese, made in the Instant Pot.
If you are looking for even more easy Air Fryer Side Dish Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER WEIGHT WATCHERS RED POTATO RECIPE, LOADED NINJA FOODI POTATOES, AIR FRYER GARLIC BUTTER HASSELBACK POTATOES, and AIR FRYER SPICY FRENCH FRIES.
Air Fryer Mac and Cheese
Air Fryer Mac and Cheese is a dish that can be served as a side or the entire meal if you want something quick to put together. It’s perfect for those days when you don’t want to spend hours slaving over an elaborate recipe.
The best part about Air Fryer Macaroni and Cheese? You only need one pan! Combine all ingredients in a baking pan, just like the TikTok mac and cheese recipe! The tasty mac and cheese with heavy cream doesn’t take long at all–You don’t even need to cook the pasta beforehand!
Why You’ll Love This Mac and Cheese Air Fryer Recipe
- 30 minute dish!
- Minimal prep time
- Kids and adults will devour it
- Great for entertaining
Ingredients Needed For Homemade Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Elbow Macaroni
- Heavy Cream
- Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Dry Mustard
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
How To Make Air Fryer Mac and Cheese
For the full recipe, make sure you scroll down to the recipe card below, but here is a brief overview of how to make this mac and cheese air fryer recipe.
Step 1: Combine ingredients
In a large bowl, mix the macaroni, water, heavy cream, about 3/4 of the cheese, dry mustard, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well to combine.
Step 2: Air Fry
Pour the mixture into an air-fryer-safe pan. Set the pan into the air fryer, set the temperature to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 15-20 minutes.
Step 3: Stir, cool & serve
When the macaroni and cheese are about halfway done cooking, stir in the rest of the cheese.
Remove and let cool, slightly before serving.
- Use your favorite cheese. I used shredded sharp cheese, you can really use any of your favorite cheese. Colby Jack, American, and Gouda are a few ideas to consider.
- Don’t forget to stir. Stir a few times during the cooking process, so that everything cooks up evenly.
- Don’t add all the cheese too early. Adding cheese, when it’s halfway done really creates the best homemade creamy mac and cheese. Feel free to sprinkle some on top too!
- This recipe will work in any air fryer. I have made this mac and cheese air fryer recipe in my Instant Pot Vortex, Ninja Foodi, and Instant Pot Crisp Lid. The timing will be about 2 to 3 minutes different.
Pasta Options For Mac and Cheese with Heavy Cream:
There are endless possibilities when it comes to pasta for TikTok mac and cheese. You can use virtually any type of pasta you like, from traditional elbow macaroni to fun-shaped pasta like wagon wheels or stars.
While everyone loves a classic recipe for Macaroni and Cheese, there are many ways to spice it up. Here are some of my family’s favorites:
- Sliced Hot Dogs
- Can of Tuna
- Cup of Fresh or Frozen Peas
- Diced Cooked Ham
- Crispy Bacon
Storage and Reheating:
If you have any leftover mac and cheese with heavy cream, let the pasta cool to room temperature and then place it into an airtight container. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can either reheat the leftovers in the microwave or air fryer. Heat until warmed through.
Can you cook frozen mac and cheese in an air fryer?
This is one of the most requested questions, and the good news is that you can cook frozen macaroni and cheese in the Air Fryer.
To Do It Correctly: Remove the frozen pasta from the packaging, and put it in an air fryer safe pan, and heat at 300 degrees F. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, mix well and continue to cook and stir until fully cooked.
Can I Use Pre-Shredded Cheese?
Yes, and no! If you want the ultimate homemade creamy mac and cheese, then shredding it yourself is the way to go. In a pinch, you can use bagged cheese, but it’s not going to be the same results.
I get that it can be hard to find the time or motivation to shred cheese when you’re cooking every day.
I tend to freshly grate my cheese because the pre-shredded cheese is coated with cellulose, which keeps the cheese from clumping when in the bags at the grocery store. So, while it’s convenient, you will not get the same melted flavor as freshly grated cheese.
What Is The Best Cheese For Mac and Cheese?
Some great cheese options are Gouda, Brie, Feta, Shredded Mozzarella, Gruyere, Fontina, and Asiago Cheese! Find a cheese that you love eating, and it will elevate your homemade creamy mac and cheese!
What do I serve with this Air Fryer Mac and Cheese?
More Air Fryer Side Dishes:
- AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO CHIPS
- AIR FRYER SYRACUSE SALTED POTATOES
- BREAKFAST POTATOES IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER LOADED POTATO SKINS
- AIR FRYER CHEESY HASSELBACK POTATOES
Air Fryer Macaroni & Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup dry elbow or small macaroni (uncooked)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large bowl, mix the macaroni, water, heavy cream, about 3/4 of the cheese, dry mustard, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into an air-fryer-safe pan. Set the pan into the air fryer, set the temperature to 360 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 15-20 minutes.
- When the macaroni and cheese is about halfway done cooking, stir in the rest of the cheese.
- Remove and let cool, slightly before serving.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Baking Pan