Ninja Foodi Grill Ribs — Get ready to embark on a flavor-packed journey with our Ninja Foodi Grill Ribs recipe!
If you’re a fan of succulent, fall-off-the-bone ribs with that perfect char and smoky essence, you’re in for a treat.
With the Ninja Foodi Grill’s versatility and your favorite rib seasonings, you can achieve mouthwatering ribs that rival your favorite barbecue joints.
Fire up your grill, gather ingredients, and dive into grilling ribs perfectly in your kitchen.
Can You Cook Ribs On The Ninja Foodi Grill?
Yes, you can cook ribs on the Ninja Foodi Grill. The Ninja Foodi Grill is a versatile appliance that combines the functionality of a grill and an air fryer. It’s great for cooking a wide range of foods, including ribs. With the proper seasoning and cooking technique, you can achieve tender, flavorful ribs with a perfect char and smoky flavor without needing an outdoor grill. Whether you prefer pork or beef ribs, the Ninja Foodi Grill can help you perfectly cook them.
Ingredients Needed For Ninja Foodi Grill Ribs
Here are the simple ingredients you will need to prepare these delicious ribs in a fraction of the time as slow-cooked ribs.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Pork Ribs: Choose your favorite cut of pork ribs, whether it’s baby back ribs, spare ribs, or St. Louis-style ribs, for the foundation of this delicious dish.
- Dry Rub: A flavorful dry rub made from spices like paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and any other preferred seasonings to infuse the ribs with savory goodness.
- BBQ Sauce: Your choice of barbecue sauce, whether a smoky, sweet, or spicy variety, slather on the ribs during the grilling process and for extra flavor.
- Apple Juice or Apple Cider Vinegar: A liquid base like apple juice or apple cider vinegar to help tenderize the ribs and add a hint of fruity sweetness.
- Aluminum Foil: Aluminum foil to create a foil packet that will help steam the ribs, ensuring they remain juicy and tender during the cooking process.
- Ninja Foodi Grill: The Ninja Foodi Grill appliance combines grilling and air frying functions essential for perfectly cooking the ribs.
- Wood Chips (Optional): If you prefer a smoky flavor, you can use wood chips of your choice, such as hickory or mesquite, to enhance the smokiness of the ribs. This is only for the Ninja Foodi Woodfire Grill.
How to Cook Ribs On The Ninja Foodi Grill
Cooking ribs on the Ninja Foodi Grill is a breeze, and here’s a step-by-step guide to achieving tender, flavorful ribs with a beautiful char:
Step One: Prepare The Ribs
First, start by preparing the ribs. To make the ribs more tender and “fall off the bone”, you’ll need to either get rid of the membrane on the back or score it. It’s easier to score it.
To do so, flip the ribs over and make large cuts in the shape of an X across the back.
Step Two: Season The Ribs
Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F for 3-5 minutes. Then, cut the ribs into individual pieces by cutting in between each bone.
Flip the ribs back over and rub the brown sugar, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper over the top of the ribs and sides of the ribs.
Step Three: Add The Ribs To The Ninja Foodi Girll
Place the ribs on the grill grates, meat side down. Set cook time for 25 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
Remove the ribs from the air fryer, using a spoon pour barbecue sauce on top of the ribs. Serve with extra BBQ sauce.
While classic barbecue ribs are always a hit, you can explore different flavors and styles to suit your preferences. Here are some recipe variations to consider when grilling ribs on your Ninja Foodi Grill:
- Spicy Cajun Ribs: Create a dry rub with Cajun spices, cayenne pepper, and paprika for a fiery kick. Serve with a cooling coleslaw to balance the heat.
- Asian-Inspired Ribs: Marinate your ribs in soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil for an Asian twist. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Honey Glazed Ribs: Add honey to your BBQ sauce for sweet and sticky ribs—the caramelized honey glaze pairs perfectly with the smoky flavor from the grill.
- Smoked Ribs: If you love a deep smoky flavor, consider using a smoking attachment with your Ninja Foodi Grill. Smoke the ribs with wood chips for an authentic barbecue taste.
- Fruit-Infused Ribs: Incorporate fruit flavors by adding pineapple juice or apple cider to your marinade. The natural sweetness complements the savory spices.
- Caribbean Jerk Ribs: Create a jerk seasoning blend with spices like allspice, thyme, and scotch bonnet peppers for a Caribbean-inspired flavor profile.
- Mango Habanero Ribs: Blend mango and habanero peppers into a sauce for sweet and spicy ribs that will tantalize your taste buds.
- Lemon Pepper Ribs: Use a lemon pepper dry rub for a zesty, citrusy twist on your ribs. Finish with a drizzle of lemon juice for a fresh kick.
- Beer-Braised Ribs: Instead of apple juice, use beer or liquid smoke to braise the ribs in the foil packet. The beer imparts a unique flavor and helps tenderize the meat.
- Tex-Mex Ribs: Season your ribs with Tex-Mex spices like chili powder, cumin, Montreal Seasoning, and smoked paprika. Serve with salsa and guacamole for a Tex-Mex feast.
- Teriyaki Glazed Ribs: Marinate the ribs in teriyaki sauce and grill them perfectly. Brush with more teriyaki sauce for a glossy finish.
- Mustard-Based Ribs: Swap out the traditional BBQ sauce for a tangy mustard-based sauce. It’s a favorite in the Carolinas and adds a delightful tartness.
These recipe variations allow you to explore diverse flavors and regional cuisines while grilling ribs at your Ninja Foodi Grill. Feel free to get creative and tailor your ribs to your taste preferences.
Grilling ribs on your Ninja Foodi Grill can yield incredible results. Here are some pro tips to ensure your ribs turn out perfectly:
- Remove the Membrane: Before seasoning, take the time to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. This allows the seasonings to penetrate and ensures a tender bite. Use a paper towel to remove the member, making these tender ribs.
- Season Generously: Don’t be shy with your dry rub. Apply the seasoning generously, ensuring it covers the ribs evenly. The seasoning is where much of the flavor comes from.
- Use Indirect Heat: When grilling, use the indirect heat method. This means placing the foil-wrapped ribs away from the direct heat source. It helps cook the ribs evenly without burning them.
- Low and Slow: Start with lower grill temperatures, around 325-350°F (163-177°C), and cook your ribs slowly. This method allows the meat to become tender while developing a flavorful crust.
- Check for Doneness: Ribs are done when the meat pulls away from the bones and has a nice caramelized appearance. Use a meat thermometer to ensure they reach an internal temperature of at least 145°F (63°C).
- Baste with BBQ Sauce: Apply your favorite BBQ sauce during the last stage of grilling. Basting the ribs with sauce adds an extra layer of flavor and creates that desirable sticky glaze.
- Experiment with Wood Chips: Use wood chips on your Ninja Foodi Woodfire Grill for a smoky flavor. Soak them in water for 30 minutes before use and add them to the grill for a delightful smoky aroma.
- Rest Before Slicing: After grilling, let the ribs rest for a few minutes. This redistributes the juices, ensuring each bite is juicy and flavorful.
- Customize Your Seasoning: Feel free to experiment with different dry rubs and BBQ sauces to create a unique flavor profile that suits your taste buds.
- Keep an Eye on Temperature: Use a meat thermometer to monitor the internal temperature of the ribs. This ensures they’re both safe to eat and perfectly cooked.
With these pro tips, you’ll master the art of grilling ribs on your Ninja Foodi Grill and impress your friends and family with restaurant-quality results. Enjoy your delicious ribs!
How long should I grill ribs on the Ninja Foodi Grill? The cooking time for ribs on the Ninja Foodi Grill can vary depending on factors like rib thickness and temperature settings. However, as a general guideline, it usually takes around 30-45 minutes per side at a temperature of 325-350°F (163-177°C). Ensure the internal temperature of the ribs reaches at least 145°F (63°C) for safe consumption.
What type of ribs work best for grilling on the Ninja Foodi Grill? St. Louis-style ribs and baby back ribs are famous for grilling at the Ninja Foodi Grill due to their tenderness and meaty texture. Spare ribs are also suitable but may require slightly longer cooking times.
Can I use a rub or marinade for the ribs? Absolutely! Rubs and marinades are great for adding flavor to your ribs. Apply your favorite dry rub or marinate the ribs for a few hours or overnight in the fridge before grilling. This enhances the taste and tenderness of the meat.
Should I use wood chips for added smokiness? Wood chips are optional but can significantly enhance the smoky flavor of your ribs. Soak the wood chips in water for about 30 minutes before grilling, then place them in a smoking box or directly on the grill grates. —Only on the Ninja Foodi Woodfire Grill
Do I need to bake the ribs with BBQ sauce? Basting the ribs with BBQ sauce during the last grilling stage is a common practice to create a flavorful glaze. However, it’s not mandatory. You can choose to serve the sauce on the side instead.
Can I cook frozen ribs at the Ninja Foodi Grill? While it’s possible to cook frozen ribs on the Ninja Foodi Grill, it’s recommended to thaw them first for more even cooking and better flavor absorption. If you’re in a hurry, you can use the Foodi Grill’s “Frozen” setting, but the results may not be as optimal as with thawed ribs.
How to store leftover ribs. Allow the cooked ribs to cool to room temperature, and then place the ribs in an airtight container. The ribs will last for 2-3 days. Reheat in the air fryer or the microwave, and spoon additional barbeque sauce over the tops of the ribs.
How do I know when the ribs are done? Ribs are typically done when the meat starts pulling away from the bones and has a caramelized appearance. You can also use a meat thermometer to ensure they reach an internal temperature of at least 145°F (63°C).
Can I cook ribs with a smoking attachment on the Ninja Foodi Woodfire Grill?
Yes, the Ninja Foodi Grill allows for a smoking attachment. Adding wood chips to the smoking attachment can infuse your ribs with a delightful smoky flavor.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer BBQ Ribs
- Air Fryer Corn On The Cob
- AIR FRYER MEXICAN STREET CORN ON THE COB
- AIR FRYER BLOOMING ONION
- AIR FRYER PARMESAN CRUSTED ZUCCHINI CRISPS
- AIR FRYER BUFFALO CAULIFLOWER
- AIR FRYER STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Ninja Foodi Grill Ribs
- 2 racks of St. Louis-style , or baby back ribs
- 1/4 cup dry rub seasoning
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, optional
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs for better flavor absorption.
- Pat the ribs dry with paper towels.
- Apply the dry rub seasoning generously to both sides of the ribs, ensuring they are evenly coated. You can do this several hours or even overnight before grilling for enhanced flavor.
- Preheat your Ninja Foodi Grill to 325-350°F (163-177°C) using the Grill function.
- If you want to add a smoky flavor, soak wood chips in water for about 30 minutes and place them in the smoking attachment of your grill.
- Place the seasoned ribs directly on the grill grates or use the included grill pan for easier cleanup.
- Grill the ribs for approximately 30-45 minutes per side or until the meat starts pulling away from the bones and reaches an internal temperature of at least 145°F (63°C).
- If you prefer to baste the ribs with BBQ sauce, apply the sauce during the last 10-15 minutes of grilling, allowing it to caramelize and create a glossy glaze.
- Once done, remove the ribs from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute, ensuring a juicy and flavorful bite.
- Slice the ribs between the bones and serve them hot. You can accompany them with additional BBQ sauce or your favorite side dishes.
- Ninja Foodi Grill, or Ninja Foodi Woodfire Grill
- Woodchips, only for Ninja Foodi Woodfire Grill