Air Fryer Dinner Rolls — Experience the joy of baking fresh, homemade dinner rolls with the convenience of your air fryer! Our guide to Air Fryer Dinner Rolls will show you how to easily create these soft, fluffy, and irresistibly buttery delights in your kitchen.
Air frying simplifies the process and yields perfectly golden rolls with a delightful texture, making them a fantastic addition to any meal.
Whether gathering around the table for a family dinner or hosting a special occasion, these air fryer dinner rolls will impress everyone with their homemade warmth and delicious taste.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Bread Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER GARLIC BREAD, AIR FRYER CHOCOLATE CROISSANTS, AIR FRYER 2 INGREDIENT WEIGHT WATCHER FRIENDLY BAGELS, and AIR FRYER OLIVE CHEESE BREAD.
Why Cook Dinner Rolls In Air Fryer
Cooking dinner rolls in an air fryer offers several advantages:
- Speed and Efficiency: Air fryers heat quickly and cook food faster than traditional ovens. This means your dinner rolls can be ready in a fraction of the time it would take in an oven.
- Crispy Texture: The air fryer’s circulating hot air creates a crispy outer texture on the rolls, which is often desirable and hard to achieve in a regular oven without overcooking the inside.
- Energy Saving: Using an air fryer can be more energy-efficient than heating a full-sized oven, especially for small batches of food like dinner rolls.
- Convenience: Air fryers are compact and easy to use, making them a convenient option for people with limited kitchen space or those who don’t want to deal with the complexities of a conventional oven.
- Reduced Heat in the Kitchen: Unlike traditional ovens, air fryers don’t significantly raise the ambient temperature of your kitchen. This can be particularly beneficial during warmer months.
- Versatility: Apart from dinner rolls, air fryers are versatile enough to cook a wide range of foods, making them a valuable appliance for various cooking needs.
- Consistency: Even hot air circulation in an air fryer ensures consistent cooking, giving you evenly browned and well-cooked rolls every time.
- Healthier Cooking: While this might not apply as much to dinner rolls, air fryers generally require less oil than deep frying, making them a healthier cooking option for many foods.
- No Preheating Required: Most air fryers don’t require preheating, or if they do, it’s usually just a matter of a few minutes, making the cooking process quicker and more straightforward.
- Easy to Clean: Many air fryers have non-stick surfaces and detachable baskets, making them easier to clean than traditional ovens and baking equipment.
Considering these benefits, using an air fryer for making dinner rolls can be a practical, efficient, and enjoyable cooking method, especially when dealing with time constraints or cooking for smaller groups.
The Best Air Fryer Dinner Roll Recipe
The Best Air Fryer Dinner Roll recipe is a game-changer for anyone who loves the allure of freshly baked bread but wants to keep things simple and quick. This recipe combines classic dinner rolls’ traditional ingredients – like all-purpose flour, yeast, milk, butter, and a touch of sugar – to create rolls that are soft, fluffy, and rich in flavor. What sets this recipe apart is the use of the air fryer, a modern kitchen marvel, which perfectly bakes the rolls to a golden brown finish while maintaining their tender interior. The air fryer’s rapid air technology ensures even cooking and provides an ideal environment for the dough to rise and develop its texture and flavor.
Moreover, the convenience of using an air fryer means you can enjoy these delightful rolls without the need to preheat a conventional oven or worry about uneven baking. The recipe is designed to be straightforward, making it accessible for bakers of all skill levels. Whether pairing them with a hearty stew or a light salad or enjoying them as a standalone snack, these air fryer dinner rolls are a testament to how traditional baking can be transformed with modern cooking methods. The result is a basket of warm, inviting rolls that are perfect for sharing and are sure to become a staple at your dining table.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Dinner Rolls
Crafting delicious Air Fryer Dinner Rolls is a delightful endeavor that begins with gathering the right ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
Remember the step-by-step directions and full measurements are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- All-Purpose Flour: The base of your dough, all-purpose flour provides the structure and soft texture essential for fluffy dinner rolls.
- Warm Milk: Milk, slightly warmed, not only activates the yeast but also enriches the dough, contributing to the tenderness and flavor of the rolls.
- Granulated Sugar: A small amount of sugar feeds the yeast and adds a subtle sweetness to the rolls, enhancing their overall taste.
- Unsalted Butter: Butter adds richness and flavor to the dough and can be used to brush on the rolls for a golden, shiny finish.
- Active Dry Yeast: The key leavening agent, yeast helps the dough rise and creates the light, airy texture of the dinner rolls.
- Salt: Salt balances the sweetness and enhances the overall flavor profile of the rolls.
- Egg: An egg contributes to the rolls’ richness and color, helping them achieve a beautiful golden-brown hue when baked.
These ingredients combine to create a batch of delicious dinner rolls and boast the perfect texture and aroma, making them an excellent addition to any meal, perfect for your holiday dinner or Thanksgiving dinner.
How To Cook Dinner Rolls In Air Fryer
Cooking dinner rolls in an air fryer is a convenient and efficient way to achieve perfectly baked rolls. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Prepare the Dough:
- In a small bowl, dissolve a tablespoon of sugar in warm milk (about 110°F). Sprinkle 2¼ teaspoons (one packet) of active dry yeast over the milk and let it sit until frothy, indicating that the yeast is active.
- Combine 3 cups of all-purpose flour in a large mixing bowl with 1 teaspoon of salt. Mix in 2 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour and mix until a dough forms. Add a beaten egg and knead the dough until smooth and elastic, either by hand on a lightly floured surface or with a dough hook attachment in a stand mixer.
Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise warmly until it doubles in size, about 1 hour.
Shape the Rolls:
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and divide it into equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer, you might have to cook the rolls in batches.
- Arrange the dough balls on a greased air fryer basket or tray, leaving space between them for expansion. Cover them and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
Preheat the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 320 degrees F (160°C) for 1-2 minutes. Some air fryer models don’t require preheating, but doing so can lead to more consistent results.
Cook the Rolls:
- Spry the bottom of the air fryer basket with cooking spray, or place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom of the basket. Place the basket in the air fryer and set cook time for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. The cooking time may vary based on your air fryer model and the size of the rolls.
- Brush the rolls with melted butter immediately after they come out of the air fryer for a soft, shiny finish.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Serve the rolls warm for the best taste and texture.
Remember not to overcrowd the air fryer to ensure even cooking. Enjoy your fluffy, golden, and flavorful homemade air fryer dinner rolls!
Pro Tips For Making Homemade Dinner Rolls In Air Fryer
Making homemade dinner rolls in an air fryer can be delightful and rewarding. Here are some pro tips to ensure they turn out perfectly:
- Proofing the Yeast: Ensure your yeast is active for the dough to rise correctly. The milk should be warm (about 110°F) to activate the yeast without killing it.
- Quality of Ingredients: Use fresh, high-quality ingredients. The quality of flour, yeast, and butter can significantly impact the texture and flavor of the rolls.
- Kneading the Dough: Knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic. This develops the gluten, which gives the rolls their structure and softness.
- Consistent Size: Make the rolls the same size when shaping them. This ensures that they cook evenly in the air fryer.
- Allowing Enough Rising Time: Let the dough rise until it doubles. A proper rise is essential for achieving the light and fluffy texture of the rolls.
- Preheating the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer before baking. This helps the rolls start cooking immediately and promotes an even golden-brown crust.
- Avoid Overcrowding: Arrange the rolls in the air fryer basket with enough space between them for the air to circulate. This might mean cooking in batches, but it’s crucial for even cooking.
- Monitoring the Cooking Process: Since air fryers vary, check the rolls a few minutes before the suggested cooking time ends. They should be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
- Brushing with Butter: For a richer flavor and a soft crust, brush the rolls with melted butter right after baking.
- Serving Them Warm: Dinner rolls are best enjoyed warm. If you need to reheat them, a few minutes in the air fryer can help recapture their fresh-baked warmth and crispness.
These tips will help you create delicious, fluffy, and perfect dinner rolls in your air fryer, bringing a homemade touch to any meal.
Can I use regular dinner roll dough in an air fryer? Yes, you can use regular dinner roll dough in an air fryer. Ensure the dough is thawed if it is frozen.
What temperature and time should I use? Typically, you should air fry dinner rolls at 350°F (175°C) for about 5-7 minutes. However, this can vary based on the size of the rolls and the specific air fryer model.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer? Preheating is recommended for best results. Preheat your air fryer for 3-5 minutes before adding the rolls.
How do I prevent the rolls from burning? Keep an eye on the rolls as they cook since air fryers can cook foods quickly. If they’re browning too fast, lower the temperature slightly.
Can I add toppings to my dinner rolls? You can brush the rolls with butter, herbs, sesame seeds, or garlic for extra flavor before or after cooking.
Is there a specific type of dough that works best in an air fryer? Most dinner roll doughs work well. You can use homemade dough or store-bought options like crescent roll or biscuit dough.
How many rolls can I cook at a time? This depends on the size of your air fryer. Avoid overcrowding and ensure there’s space between each roll for even cooking.
Can I use parchment paper in the air fryer? Yes, you can use parchment paper with holes to allow for air circulation, but it’s unnecessary.
How do I store leftover air fryer dinner rolls? Store leftover rolls in an airtight container at room temperature, warp them in plastic wrap for 2-3 days, or freeze them for more extended storage.
Can I reheat dinner rolls in the air fryer? Yes, reheat them at 300°F (150°C) for 2-3 minutes or until warm
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT DOMINO’S BREAD TWISTS
- AIR FRYER PIZZA HUT BREADSTICKS
- EASY AIR FRYER 2 INGREDIENT WEIGHT WATCHER FRIENDLY BAGELS
- AIR FRYER PULL-APART ROLLS
- AIR FRYER OLIVE CHEESE BREAD
- EASY Air Fryer Copycat Sister Schubert’s Rolls
- Air Fryer Frozen Sister Schubert Rolls
- Air Fryer Frozen Rolls
Don’t Forget to Pin!
Air Fryer Dinner Rolls
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package packet, 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup warm milk, about 110°F or 45°C
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, salt, and instant yeast.
- Add warm milk, melted butter, and egg to the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add the remaining flour, mixing until the dough starts to form. You may need slightly more or less flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for about 6-8 minutes until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it, and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down the risen dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape each into a ball.
- Arrange the dough balls in a parchment-lined air fryer basket, leaving space between each for expansion. You may need to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cover the rolls in the air fryer basket with a clean kitchen towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 320°F (160°C) for 3 minutes.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and cook the rolls for about 5-7 minutes, or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Brush the hot rolls with additional melted butter if desired for a glossy finish and softer crust.
- Serve the rolls warm as a side for your favorite meals.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Temperature Check: Make sure the milk is warm but not too hot to touch, as high temperatures can kill the yeast.
- Size Consistency: Keep the rolls approximately the same size for even cooking.
- Air Fryer Variations: Cooking times may vary slightly depending on your air fryer model, so keep an eye on the rolls towards the end of cooking.
- Storing: Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or freeze for longer storage.