Air Fryer French Onion Chicken Breast With Fontina Cheese is a great and easy recipe! French Onion Chicken is a dish that will make you feel like you’re eating at a high-end restaurant. This recipe is easy to make and full of flavor!
This post is for all you busy moms out there who don’t have time to cook but still want a delicious, healthy meal. This recipe makes it possible with only a few ingredients and one air fryer!
It’s not just easy, and it’s also gluten-free and low-calorie. The best part of this dish? You can make the chicken ahead of time and freeze it for later in the week when your schedule gets crazy again! It doesn’t get much better than that.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Chicken Recipes, some of my favorites are: AIR FRYER CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA, AIR FRYER KUNG PAO CHICKEN, AIR FRYER HONEY BALSAMIC CHICKEN, and AIR FRYER DRY RUBBED CHICKEN WINGS.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer French Onion Chicken Breast With Fontina Cheese
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Olive Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Black Pepper
- Fontina Cheese
How To Make Air Fryer French Onion Chicken Breast With Fontina Cheese
Start by slicing the onions into thin slices. Toss the sliced onions with olive oil, sugar and salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Then spread the coated onions in either the air fryer basket or in the air fryer tray, set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes. (air fryer setting)
Coat your chicken breast with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and air Fry your chicken breast for about 7-9 minutes at 350 degrees F.(air fryer setting)
Top the chicken with the caramelized onions. The sliced fontina cheese, place in the air fryer for about 1-2 minutes, at 350 degrees F, just until the cheese is melted.
- This is a great recipe that will work in any Air Fryer Basket or Oven Model. I have made this several times in the Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot Vortex, Instant Pot Crisp Lid, GoWise, Nuwave Air Fryer, and even my PowerXL. The recipe will remain the same, and The cooking time may vary.
- Check on the chicken frequently when the cheese is on top. Otherwise, you may end up with burnt cheese on top of your chicken.
- Do not crowd your air fryer. Otherwise, you may end up with uneven chicken breast.
Chicken Breast or Chicken Thighs?
You can prepare this recipe with either chicken breast or chicken thighs> If you want to use chicken thighs, I recommend that you use boneless and skinless.
Remember to cook your chicken until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F. Check with a meat thermometer before removing the chicken from the air fryer.
Substitutes For Fontina Cheese
Today, I used a very standard recipe for French Chicken Breast, called Fontina Cheese, which is also a staple on a KETO and low-carb diet. But there are several other kinds of cheese that you can switch it out for.
Some of my favorites are:
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes:
- AIR FRYER GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER CRISPY HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN
- 24 OF THE BEST AIR FRYER CHICKEN TENDERS YOU’LL EVER MAKE
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN FAJITAS
- EASY AIR FRYER HONEY BALSAMIC CHICKEN
- AIR FRYER HEALTHY BUFFALO CHICKEN
- FROZEN CHICKEN PATTIES IN THE AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER PICKLE-BRINED CHICKEN TENDERS
- AIR FRYER BBQ CHICKEN WRAPPED IN BACON
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt, and pepper to taste
- 2-3 ounces Fontina cheese, sliced
- Start by slicing the onions into thin slices.
- Toss the sliced onions with olive oil, sugar and salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Then spread the coated onions in either the air fryer basket or in the air fryer tray, set the temperature to 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes. (air fryer setting)
- Coat your chicken breast with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and air fry your chicken breast for about 7-9 minutes at 350 degrees F.(air fryer setting)
- Top the chicken with the caramelized onions.
- Top the caramelized onions with the sliced fontina cheese, place in the air fryer for about 1-2 minutes, at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, just until the cheese is melted.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 717Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 201mgSodium: 1066mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 60g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.