Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu —When it’s time to prepare a meal that satisfies everyone in your family, look no further than air fryer chicken cordon bleu! This dish combines all the classic comfort food flavors – crispy and crunchy chicken cutlets, perfect Swiss cheese, and savory ham – with an added kick from the air-fryer.
The best part is that you don’t have to break out the deep fat fryer– this traditional chicken cordon bleu version has all the flavor but none of the mess or extra calories found in classic recipes. The result? Crispy outside, tender inside deliciousness without any unhealthy fried accompaniments! With this simple recipe, find out how to whip up a healthier version of your favorite using an air-fryer
Cordon Bleu Air Fryer
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Blue is a delightful chicken dish stuffed with ham and Swiss cheese and is a classic that many love. However, it’s often considered a delicacy due to its complicated cooking process. But guess what? We’re here to revolutionize that with the magic of an air fryer!
The air fryer brings convenience, speed, and healthier meals to your kitchen, and our Cordon Bleu Air Fryer recipe is no exception. It eliminates the mess and fuss of traditional pan frying, and it cooks the chicken to perfection—crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and filled with the melted goodness of cheese and ham. Whether you’re a fan of this dish or trying it out for the first time, you’re in for a treat. So, buckle up as we embark on this flavorful journey of creating the perfect Chicken Cordon Bleu in an air fryer!
Suppose you love perfect Air Fryer Chicken Recipes. In that case, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER BROCCOLI, AND CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN, AIR FRYER PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN, AIR FRYER RANCH CHICKEN, and AIR FRYER PERUVIAN CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS.
The Best Homemade Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
Chicken Cordon Bleu is a delicious combination of tender chicken, flavorful ham, and gooey Swiss cheese, all wrapped up in a crispy breadcrumb coating. While this dish might sound intimidating, we promise that our recipe breaks it down into simple, manageable steps. Moreover, by utilizing the air fryer, we can achieve the irresistible crunch and perfect golden-brown exterior without the excess oil of traditional frying methods.
The air fryer ensures consistent heat circulation, cooking the Chicken Cordon Bleu evenly and thoroughly for a result that’s juicy on the inside and delightfully crispy on the outside. So let’s dive into this culinary adventure and discover how simple it is to make the best homemade Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu. Ready to impress your family or guests? Let’s get started!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Cordon Bleu
Are you looking for a delicious and simple meal that is easy to make? Air Fryer Cordon Bleu might be just what you need! This delectable dish is made with easily obtainable ingredients and can whip up quickly. Our air fryer will work to ensure your cordon bleu has that perfect crunchy texture while keeping it low-fat. Read on to learn which ingredients are necessary for making this flavorful dinner night delight!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: These will be the base of your Cordon Bleu. You can also use chicken cutlets if you prefer them thinner.
- Slices of Ham: The ham slices bring a nice salty balance to the dish. Choose a good quality deli ham for the best flavor.
- Slices of Swiss Cheese: The classic cheese for Cordon Bleu. Swiss cheese has a mildly sweet and nutty flavor that complements the chicken and ham well.
- All-Purpose Flour: You’ll need flour for dredging. It helps the egg wash stick to the chicken and makes for a crispier crust.
- Eggs: The eggs help the breadcrumbs stick to the chicken and create a golden, crispy exterior.
- Breadcrumbs: For a traditional Cordon Bleu, use plain breadcrumbs. If you prefer, you can use panko breadcrumbs for a crunchier crust.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper: For seasoning the chicken. Adjust to your taste.
- Toothpicks: These will be used to secure the chicken after it’s been stuffed with ham and cheese.
- Cooking Spray: To spray the air fryer basket and the chicken to prevent sticking and promote even browning.
- Optional Sauce: Dijon mustard sauce, homemade or storebought.
Remember that the best dishes are made with the best ingredients, so always try to use fresh, high-quality products for your Chicken Cordon Bleu. This will ensure the most delicious result.
How To Cook Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chicken cordon bleu is a classic favorite dish, but it can be tricky to cook – after all, breaded chicken stuffed with smoked ham and cheese must be cooked just the right way to ensure it’s both flavorful and delicious. If you’re looking for an easier way to make your succulent version of this beloved French-inspired dish, try making air fryer chicken cordon bleu! With the help of our easy-to-follow recipe (including ingredient list and tips for ensuring success!), you’ll have tender yet crisp rotisserie-style Chicken Cordon Bleu on your dinner table. So grab your ingredients and preheat that air fryer – because soon enough, you’ll be savoring every bite of a truly unforgettable meal!
- Preparation: Pounding the chicken breasts to about 1/4-inch thick, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. This makes them easier to roll. Then, season each piece of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stuffing: Lay a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on each chicken breast. Roll the chicken up tightly, starting from the narrower end, and secure with toothpicks.
- Dredging Station: Prepare three separate bowls – one for flour mixture, one for beaten eggs, and one for breadcrumbs. Dredge each chicken roll first in the flour, shaking off any excess, then in the whisked eggs, and finally in the breadcrumbs, making sure to coat all sides evenly.
- Preheat Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
How Long To Cook Chicken Cordon Blue In Air Fryer:
- Cooking: Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Place chicken breasts into the basket, leaving enough space for the air to circulate. You might need to cook in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. Spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray, or brush wtih olive oil.
- Air Frying: Set the cook time for 15-20 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink inside (reaches 165°F or 74°C on a meat thermometer) and the outside is golden brown. Halfway through the cooking time, carefully flip the chicken rolls to ensure even cooking.
- Serving: Once cooked, remove the toothpicks and let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the chicken, keeping it moist and flavorful. Serve with your favorite creamy mustard sauce.
Pro Tips For The Best Air Freyr Chicken Cordon Blue
- Choose Quality Ingredients: The flavor of your Chicken Cordon Bleu is greatly influenced by the quality of your ham, cheese, and chicken. Choose high-quality ingredients for the best results.
- Secure Your Rolls: Ensure the chicken is tightly rolled and secured with toothpicks to keep the cheese and ham from oozing out while cooking.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Air Fryer: Give each roll space in the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking and a crispy crust. You may need to cook in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. A single layer is best for this recipe.
- Adjust Cooking Times as Necessary: All air fryers are different, so it’s important to check for doneness a little earlier than the suggested cooking time. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74°C) to be safe to eat.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Although many recipes don’t require this step, preheating your air fryer can help achieve a crispier, more evenly browned exterior.
- Allow to Rest: Once the chicken is cooked, rest for a few minutes before cutting it. This allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in a moister, more flavorful dish.
- Experiment with Flavors: Feel free to play with different cheeses or hams to make this classic dish your own.
How To Cook Frozen Cordon Blue In Air Fryer
Cooking frozen Cordon Bleu in the air fryer is a convenient way to get a delicious meal on the table without the need for defrosting. Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 360°F (182°C). This ensures that the Cordon Bleu will start cooking immediately when you put it in and helps it to cook evenly.
- Preparation: While your air fryer is preheating, remove the frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu from its packaging. Do not thaw it.
- Cooking: Place the frozen Chicken Cordon Bleu in the air fryer basket. Ensure they’re not touching, which could cause them to cook unevenly.
- Air Frying: Cook the Chicken Cordon Bleu for 15 minutes, flip it over, and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Resting: Once the Chicken Cordon Bleu is done cooking, rest for 1-2 minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute and the cheese to cool slightly, making it easier to eat.
- Serving: Enjoy your Chicken Cordon Bleu with a side of veggies, a salad, or your favorite sides.
Can I use other types of meat in my Cordon Bleu? While chicken is traditional, you can also use thin pork or veal cutlets in this recipe.
What other types of cheese can I use? Swiss cheese is the traditional choice for Chicken Cordon Bleu, but you could also use Gruyère, mozzarella, provolone, or parmesan cheese. Just ensure the cheese you choose melts well.
Can I use homemade breadcrumbs? Yes, you can. To make your own breadcrumbs, toast some bread, then grind it in a food processor.
Can I prepare the chicken rolls in advance? Yes, you can prepare the rolls and refrigerate them for up to a day before cooking them. Just make sure to cover them well to prevent drying out.
Why is my chicken not crispy enough? Ensure your air fryer is preheated and you’re not overcrowding the basket. You can also try increasing the cooking temperature or time.
Store leftover Cordon Blue: If you have any leftover chicken cordon bleu, let it cool to room temperature, and then place it into an airtight container. The chicken will last in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How can I reheat my Chicken Cordon Bleu? To reheat, put it back in the air fryer at 370°F (188°C) for about 10 minutes or until it’s heated.
More Air Fryer Recipe
Check out these recipes if you have a Ninja Foodi, a basket air fryer, or an air fryer oven!
- AIR FRYER BROCCOLI AND CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN
- AIR FRYER PARMESAN CRUSTED CHICKEN
- 20 OF THE BEST AIR FRYER CHICKEN RECIPES
- AIR FRYER RANCH CHICKEN
- CRISPY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER PERUVIAN CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Air Fryer Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli-sliced ham
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Butterfly your chicken, which means to cut the chicken in half. Place your chicken breast into saran wrap, and then use a rolling pin to flatten the chicken. Season your chicken with some salt and pepper. Then, place your Swiss cheese and ham onto the chicken breast.
- Roll up the chicken in saran wrap, and place toothpicks in the chicken to hold it together.
- Place them into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up.
- Set up your dredging stations: 1 bowl for flour, salt, and black pepper, 2nd bowl: Beaten egg 3rd bowl: panko breadcrumbs. Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and finally into the Panko mixture. As you coat them place them into a greased air fryer basket. Set the temperature for 350 degrees F, air fryer setting for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Before removing it from the air fryer basket, make sure that the internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Plate, serve and enjoy! (Sauce recipe is below)
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment, optional