Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Calzone — If you love chicken Parmesan, you’re going to love this calzone. Air frying the chicken makes it crispy and delicious, while the cheese and marinara sauce add classic flavors. Best of all, this calzone is easy to make and perfect for a quick dinner or snack. Give it a try!
I’m not sure about you, but I love chicken Parmesan. There’s something about the crispy breading and gooey cheese that just makes my mouth water. But who has time to make it from scratch? That’s where the air fryer comes in handy! You can easily make a delicious chicken Parmesan calzone in your air fryer. Best of all, it only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish! Let me show you how it’s done.
What Is Calzone?
A calzone ( Italian pronunciation: [‘kalˈtsoːne] kal-TZO-nay) is a type of folded pizza that originates in Naples, Italy. The dough is filled with various types of meat, cheeses, and vegetables. It is then wrapped into a semicircular shape and baked in an oven. Calzones are usually served as an appetizer or main course
What Is Chicken Parmesan Calzone?
Chicken Parmesan is one of the most popular Italian dishes. It is made with chicken breasts that are breaded and fried, then covered in tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. A calzone is a type of pizza that is made by folding a dough circle in half over filling. In this recipe, we will make a chicken Parmesan calzone by stuffing a calzone with chicken, mozzarella cheese, and tomato sauce.
Why Make Chicken Parmesan Calzone In The Air Fryer?
If you love chicken parmesan, you’re going to love this chicken parmesan calzone recipe. The air fryer makes it quick and easy to cook the chicken and the calzone crust is crispy and delicious. Plus, there’s a lot of cheese in every bite! Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal or a new appetizer for your next party, this recipe is sure to please. So why not give it a try? Your taste buds will thank you
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Calzone
If you are looking for an easy and delicious weeknight meal, look no further than this Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Calzone. This dish is incredibly simple to make and requires only a few ingredients.
- Pizza Dough: Use whole wheat, gluten-free, or regular. Make sure it’s cold and defrosted.
- Crispy Chicken Tenders: The key to this recipe, is to use fully cooked chicken nuggets, with breading, so you get the same taste as homemade chicken parm, but without all of the work.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Use either shredded mozzarella chees,e or sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Marinara Sauce or Pizza: Use your favorite marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought.
- Parmesan Cheese: Use grated parmesan cheese.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter, which will help crisp up the dough, and give you the golden brown color, that calzones are known for.
How To Cook Chicken Parmesan Calzone In The Air Fryer
On a floured surface, roll out your dough, into a 10 to 12-inch circle, depending on how large your air fryer is. On one half of the dough, spread your pizza sauce (only ½ of the sauce, reserve the other half), and top with ½ of the cheeses and all of the chicken tenders. Fold up your dough, and pinch the seam for the dough to stay closed.
Using a pastry brush, brush the melted butter on top of the calzone.
Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
Flipping halfway during the cooking process. When the calzone is mostly done, brush on the pizza sauce, and sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese.
Pro Tips For The Best Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Calzone
Is there anything better than a cheesy chicken Parmesan calzone? Probably not. But if you’re not an expert at making them, they can be a little tricky to get just right. That’s why we’ve got some pro tips to help you make the best one ever – no matter what air fryer you own. Keep reading to learn more!
- Timing: Since every air fryer is slightly different, it’s important that you check on your calzone frequently while it’s cooking up. The timing will differ, but you can cook this air fryer calzone in any air fryer including the Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot Vortex, and even the PowerXL Air Fryer.
- Crowding: The size of the calzone will depend on how large your air fryer is. If you have an air fryer oven, you may need to make a couple of mini calzones to fit. If you have an air fryer oven, you will be able to make a larger one. But leave room around the calzone, so the hot air can freely flow around the calzone.
- Flipping: Depending on the air fryer that you are using, you may need to flip the calzone halfway during the cooking process. This way both sides get fully cooked.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is the Difference Between Calzones and Stromboli?
Calzones and stromboli are both popular Italian-American dishes, but what’s the difference between them? Both are basically turnovers filled with cheese and other fillings, but calzones are typically made from a yeast dough while stromboli is made from a more bread-like dough. Calzones are also often served with a side of marinara sauce, while stromboli is usually eaten plain or with a side of Italian dressing. So which one should you make for your next party? It all depends on what you’re in the mood for!
Refrigerator: If you have any leftover calzone, let the calzone cool to room temperature. Then place the leftovers into an airtight container. The leftover calzone will last for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
To Freeze: You can freeze these calzones, either cooked or uncooked. Place the calzone onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the freeze, and freeze until frozen solid. Then remove the frozen calzone, and transfer it to a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. The calzone will last in the freezer for 1 to 2 months.
How To Cook Frozen Calzones In The Air Fryer
If you love calzones, but don’t always have the time to make them from scratch, then you’ll love this air fryer trick! Learn how to cook frozen calzones in the air fryer for a quick and easy meal.
- Place the frozen calzone into the air fryer basket.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, using the air fryer setting.
- Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the calzone is fully cooked, flip halfway. For best results, brush with either melted butter, or spray with cooking spray.
How To Reheat Calzones In The Air Fryer
Reheating calzones can be a bit of a challenge. You don’t want them to get too crispy or dried out, but you also don’t want them to be cold and doughy in the middle. So what’s the best way to reheat calzones? With an air fryer, of course! Here’s how to do it
- Place the refrigerated calzone into the air fryer basket.
- Set the temperature to 330 degrees F, using the air fryer setting.
- Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the calzone is warmer through. For added flavor, you can brush with melted butter. This will help moisten your calzone up and help re-crisp the outside of the calzone.
More Air Fryer Lunch Recipes:
AIR FRYER MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH: Are you looking for a delicious and easy air fryer recipe? If so, you have to try this air fryer monte cristo sandwich! It’s a simple and tasty dish that the whole family will love. Plus, it’s perfect for busy weeknights. So what are you waiting for? Give this air fryer monte cristo sandwich a try today!
AIR FRYER SPANISH MANCHEGO GRILLED CHEESE: Air fryers are amazing tools for cooking up all sorts of foods. This recipe for Air Fryer Spanish Manchego Grilled Cheese is a great example. It’s easy to make, and it results in a delicious, crispy grilled cheese sandwich. Plus, the air fryer keeps the kitchen cool on hot days! Give this recipe a try for your next grilled cheese craving. You won’t be disappointed!
AIR FRYER HAM AND CHEESE BISCUIT SANDWICHES: Does the idea of a sandwich with a crispy, golden crust and oozing cheese sound good to you? If so, then you need to try air fryer ham and cheese biscuit sandwiches. They’re easy to make and absolutely delicious. Plus, they’re perfect for satisfying your craving for something savory and cheesy. give them a try!
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Do you love chicken parmesan? How about calzones? If you answered yes to both of those questions, then you're going to love this Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Calzone recipe! It's the perfect mix of two classic Italian dishes, and it's a great way to use up leftover chicken. Plus, it's easy to make and perfect for a weeknight dinner. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try!
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders frozen and use crispy coated
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter melted and unsalted
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
On a floured surface, roll out your dough, into a 10 to 12-inch circle, depending on how large your Air fryer is.
On one half of the dough, spread your pizza sauce (only ½ of the sauce, reserve the other half), top with ½ of the cheeses and all of the chicken tenders. Fold up your dough, pinch the seam for the dough to stay closed.
Using a pastry brush, brush the melted butter on top of the calzone. Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Flipping halfway during the cooking process.
When the calzone is mostly done, brush on the pizza sauce, and sprinkle with the rest of the shredded cheese.
Garnish with fresh herbs.
Slice and serve with additional pizza sauce.
Leave a Reply