If you’re a fan of Popeyes fried chicken, you’ll love this air fryer version! It’s crispy and has the perfect amount of seasoning. Best of all, it’s much healthier than traditional frying. Give it a try! Today’s recipe is, Air Fryer Popeyes Fried Chicken Recipe!
I don’t know about you, but I love Popeyes fried chicken. It is definitely my favorite fast-food chicken. But, I don’t particularly appreciate that it’s not always the healthiest option. So, I created a healthier air fryer version of their fried chicken recipe. And let me tell you, it turned out amazing! If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy way to enjoy your favorite fast-food fried chicken, then check out this recipe!
The Best Popeyes Chicken Recipe
Are you looking for a delicious and easy air fryer recipe? If so, then you should definitely try this air fryer Popeyes fried chicken recipe. It’s simple to make and tastes amazing. You’ll love the crispy texture and flavorful taste of this fried chicken. So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Popeyes Fried Chicken
Do you love Popeyes fried chicken? Well, now you can make your own at home using an air fryer! This recipe is simple and only requires a few ingredients.
- Fryer Chicken: You can either use a whole fryer chicken that has been cut up, or uses chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, chicken tenders, or chicken breasts.
- Buttermilk: I gave you some suggestions if you don’t have buttermilk below.
- Hot Sauce: You can also use Popeye’s signature spice since they use Louisiana-style hot sauce.
- Eggs: Use large, room-temperature eggs.
- Self-Rising Flour: You can either use prepared or make a batch for yourself.
- Seasonings and Spices: Chili Powder, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Kosher Salt, and Black Pepper.
How to Make Popeyes Fried Chicken In Air Fryer
To Marinate the Chicken:
In a large bowl, add the buttermilk, and hot sauce, then add the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Dry The Chicken:
To get the crispies fried chicken, use paper towels, and dry the chicken.
Prepare Your Dredging Stations:
In the first bowl add the flour and seasonings. In the second large bowl add the eggs, and 1/4 cup of hot sauce, and whisk with a fork, until frothy.
Coat The Chicken:
Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, using your hands to pat down the seasonings and flour, and then dredge the chicken into the egg mixture, shaking off any excess, and then place the chicken into the flour and seasonings.
Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then add the coated chicken. Spray the chicken generously, with cooking spray.
Cook the chicken at 390 degrees F and cook for 12 to 15 minutes. the cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken, remove the chicken when the chicken’s internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
Tips for making Air Fryer Popeye’s Fried Chicken
If you’re looking for an easy way to make restaurant-quality fried chicken at home, look no further than your air fryer! Air frying gives the chicken a crispy, crunchy crust without the need for any added oils or fats. Follow these tips to make the perfect batch of Popeye’s Fried Chicken using your air fryer.
1. Crowding the air fryer basket can lead to uneven cooking, so make sure to spread out your chicken pieces as much as possible.
2. Marinating the chicken in buttermilk or a mixture of hot sauce and spices before cooking will add extra flavor and help keep the chicken juicy.
3. Keep an eye on the timing and temperature suggested by your specific air fryer, as this can vary based on model and size. Adjust cooking time if needed for properly cooked and crispy chicken.
4. Serve with a side of Popeye’s signature spicy dipping sauce for even more flavor. Enjoy your homemade, healthier version of fried chicken
Fried chicken in air fryer without buttermilk
If you do not have buttermilk, you can either make your own buttermilk, by following this easy recipe. Or use Greek yogurt, to marinate the chicken, and then follow the rest of the recipe.
Make sure to pat the chicken dry. Before adding the flour and seasonings.
How long can you keep fried chicken in the fridge
According to the USDA, cooked chicken can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to four days. It is important to make sure the chicken is properly sealed and stored at a temperature below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, any leftovers should be reheated to an internal temperature of 165 degrees before consumption.
Reheat fried chicken in air fryer
One option for quickly and safely reheating your leftover fried chicken is using an air fryer. To do so, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place the chicken in a single layer on the basket or tray. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until
How to reheat Popeyes in the air fryer
There’s nothing quite like a delicious Popeyes meal, but sometimes you can’t finish it all in one sitting. Instead of letting your food go to waste, follow these simple steps to reheat Popeyes in the air fryer. You’ll have a tasty meal in no time!
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the Popeyes in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through and crispy on the outside.
- Enjoy your reheated Popeyes!
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER MEAT PIES
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT STARBUCKS VANILLA BEAN SCONES
- HOW TO REHEAT BREAD IN AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO HOME FRIES
- AIR FRYER BUFFALO CHICKEN WONTONS
Air Fryer Popeyes Fried Chicken Recipe
- 4 pound fryer chicken, cut up
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup hot sauce, plus 1/4 cup for eggs
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- In a large bowl, add the buttermilk, and hot sauce, then add the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- To get the crispies fried chicken, use paper towels, and dry the chicken.
- In the first bowl add the flour and seasonings. In the second large bowl add the eggs, and 1/4 cup of hot sauce, and whisk with a fork, until frothy.
- Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, using your hands to pat down the seasonings and flour, and then dredge the chicken into the egg mixture, shaking off any excess, and then place the chicken into the flour and seasonings.
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then add the coated chicken. Spray the chicken generously, with cooking spray.
- Cook the chicken at 390 degrees F and cook for 12 to 15 minutes. the cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken, remove the chicken when the chicken's internal temperature is 165 degrees F.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray