Air Fryer Popeyes Chicken Sandwich (Copycat) is excellent. This recipe is for you if you want a copycat version of the famous sandwich! It is easy, delicious, and done with the help of the air fryer.
What Is The Famous Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
Get ready to sink your teeth into one of the most famous and sought-after fast-food sandwiches around the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich.
This mouthwatering creation has taken the culinary world by storm, captivating taste buds and igniting a nationwide craze. This sandwich has become synonymous with indulgence and satisfaction, a perfect combination of a tender and juicy chicken fillet, crispy breading, and a harmonious blend of flavors. From the first bite, you’ll experience the crunch of the perfectly fried chicken, followed by the delightful balance of tangy pickles, creamy mayo, and a buttery brioche bun.
Prepare to join the legions of fans who can’t get enough of this iconic sandwich as it continues to leave a lasting impression on all who taste it.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich
Are you a fan of Popeyes Chicken Sandwiches? If so, you’re in luck! Now, with your air fryer, you can recreate the popular sandwich at home. All it takes is a few simple ingredients and knowledge of which ones work best for an unbeatably crisp finish.
Below, we’ll go over what ingredients are required to make the perfect copycat Popeyes Chicken Sandwich right in your own kitchen – saving both time and money. Keep reading to find out exactly how to get that juicy, flavorful chicken just like from the restaurant!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Chicken: Use skinless, boneless chicken breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- All-Purpose Flour: You can quickly adapt this recipe by using all-purpose gluten-free flour.
- Baking Powder
- Buttermilk: Will tenderize the chicken for a crispy and tender chicken sandwich
- Egg: Will make the batter adhere to the chicken
- Seasonings and Spices: Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper
- Serving: Brioche Buns, Mayonnaise, and Pickle Chips
How To Make Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe
It’s finally here – the coveted Popeyes Chicken Sandwich. It has been the talk of social media since its release, and now you can make it at home! There is a reason why this sandwich has become such a phenomenon, and that’s because of its perfect combination of flavors – savory fried chicken with crunchy pickles and creamy mayonnaise all on a toasted brioche bun.
While making your own version won’t be precisely what you get from their restaurants, you’ll still be able to create an incredibly delicious dish that will satisfy any craving for this popular snack.
Below, we will show you step-by-step how to make your very own Popeyes Chicken Sandwich recipe right in the comfort of your kitchen. Get ready for finger-licking good flavor goodness!
Step One: Prepare the chicken
Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Combine the buttermilk, hot sauce (optional), and eggs in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts, ensuring they are fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Step Two: Prepare the breading
Mix the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. This will be the breading for the chicken.
Step Three: Bread the chicken
Remove the chicken breasts from the buttermilk marinade, allowing any excess to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, pressing gently to adhere the breading to the chicken.
Step Four: Air fry the chicken
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F, using the preheating butter, or preheat for 5-6 minutes. Carefully place the breaded chicken breasts into the preheated air fryer.
Air Fry for about 6-8 minutes per side or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
Step Five: Assemble the sandwich
Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the brioche buns. Place a fried chicken breast on the bottom bun. Top with pickle slices and cover with the top bun.
Step Six: Serving
Your homemade Popeyes Chicken Sandwich is now ready to be enjoyed. Serve it while the chicken is still warm and crispy.
Tips and Tricks for our Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe Success
To ensure success when making your homemade Popeyes Chicken Sandwich, here are some tips and tricks:
- Use buttermilk for tender chicken: Marinating the chicken in buttermilk helps tenderize the meat and adds flavor.
- Adjust the level of spiciness: If you prefer a milder sandwich, reduce the amount of cayenne pepper in the breading mixture. On the other hand, if you want it spicier, feel free to increase the amount or add additional hot sauce to the buttermilk marinade.
- Double-dip for extra crispiness: For an extra crispy coating, you can double-dip the chicken by dipping it back into the buttermilk marinade after coating it in the flour mixture. Then, coat it in the flour mixture once again before frying.
- Let the chicken rest before assembly: Allow the fried chicken to rest on a wire rack for a few minutes after frying. This helps the excess oil to drain and ensures the breading stays crispy.
- Toast the buns: For a touch of deliciousness, lightly toast the brioche buns before assembling the sandwich. This step adds a nice texture and enhances the overall taste.
- Customize your toppings: Feel free to customize the toppings to your liking. Add condiments like hot sauce, BBQ sauce, or slaw to flavor and crunch your Popeyes Chicken Sandwich.
- Serve immediately: The Popeyes Chicken Sandwich is best enjoyed when served immediately after assembly. This ensures that the chicken remains crispy and the flavors are at their peak.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be on your way to creating a homemade Popeyes Chicken Sandwich that is flavorful, crispy, and satisfying.
Variations for our Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Recipe
If you want to put your own spin on the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich recipe, here are some variations you can try:
- Spicy Cajun Seasoning: Add a spicy kick to your chicken by incorporating a Cajun seasoning blend into the flour mixture. You can use a store-bought Cajun seasoning or make your own by combining spices like paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and thyme.
- Buttermilk Ranch: Create a tangy and herby twist by mixing ranch seasoning or dressing mix into the buttermilk marinade. This will infuse the chicken with a delicious ranch flavor.
- Honey Mustard Glaze: Drizzle the fried chicken with a homemade honey mustard glaze. Whisk together honey, Dijon mustard, and a splash of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Brush the glaze onto the chicken right before serving.
- Spicy Mayo: Prepare a spicy mayo by combining mayonnaise, hot sauce, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Spread this fiery mayo on the buns for an extra kick of heat.
- Pickle Slaw: Take the traditional pickles up a notch by making a pickled slaw. Mix shredded cabbage, chopped pickles, mayonnaise, a touch of pickle juice, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Top your chicken with this tangy slaw for added crunch and flavor.
- Bacon and Cheese: Add crispy bacon strips and a slice of your favorite cheese, such as cheddar or pepper jack, for a heartier option. The smoky bacon and melted cheese bring the sandwich to a new level.
- Sweet and Spicy Glaze: Create a sweet and spicy glaze by combining honey, Sriracha sauce, soy sauce, and a splash of rice vinegar. Brush the glaze onto the fried chicken during the last few minutes of cooking for a sticky and flavorful coating.
Remember, these variations are just suggestions, so feel free to get creative and add your own favorite ingredients and flavors.
Can I use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts in the air fryer Popeyes Chicken Sandwich recipe?
Yes, you can definitely use boneless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for a slightly different flavor and texture. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as chicken thighs may require a few minutes longer to cook through in the air fryer.
Can I use gluten-free flour or breadcrumbs for the breading in the air fryer Popeyes Chicken Sandwich recipe?
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour or breadcrumbs as a substitute for regular flour in the breading mixture. Gluten-free options are widely available and can work well in this recipe, giving you a crispy coating without compromising the taste.
Can I make the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich recipe ahead of time and reheat it in the air fryer?
While the sandwich is best enjoyed immediately after assembly, you can reheat the individual components in the air fryer. Air fry the chicken to crisp it up again, and lightly toast the buns. Then, assemble the sandwich with fresh toppings for the best results.
Can I freeze the breaded chicken for later use in the air fryer Popeyes Chicken Sandwich recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the breaded chicken before air frying. After breading the chicken, arrange it in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer the chicken to an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to cook, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight before air frying according to the recipe instructions.
Can I use a different type of bun for the air fryer Popeyes Chicken Sandwich recipe?
Absolutely! While brioche buns are the traditional choice, you can experiment with different types of buns to suit your preference. Consider using potato buns, pretzel buns, or even ciabatta rolls for a unique twist on the classic sandwich.
Can I make a healthier version of the air fryer Popeyes Chicken Sandwich?
Yes, you can make a healthier version of the sandwich by using leaner cuts of chicken, opting for whole wheat or low-carb buns, and using a minimal amount of oil or cooking spray to lightly coat the chicken before air frying. Additionally, you can choose lighter or reduced-fat condiments and toppings to reduce the overall calorie and fat content.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY CUPCAKES
- AIR FRYER CAKE POPS
- BEST AIR FRYER MUG CAKE RECIPES FOR A SUPER EASY TREAT
- AIR FRYER WALNUT CAKE
- AIR FRYER PINEAPPLE UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE FOR TWO
Air Fryer Popeyes Chicken Sandwich (Copycat)
- 2 chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 brioche buns
- 2 teaspoons mayo
- 6 slices pickle
- Pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Combine the buttermilk, hot sauce (optional), and eggs in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts, ensuring they are fully submerged. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, and black pepper in a shallow dish. This will be the breading for the chicken.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the buttermilk marinade, allowing any excess to drip off. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, pressing gently to adhere the breading to the chicken.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F, using the preheating butter, or preheat for 5-6 minutes. Carefully place the breaded chicken breasts into the preheated air fryer.
- Air Fry for about 6-8 minutes per side or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Ensure the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Spread mayonnaise on both sides of the brioche buns. Place a fried chicken breast on the bottom bun. Top with pickle slices and cover with the top bun.
- Your homemade Popeyes Chicken Sandwich is now ready to be enjoyed. Serve it while the chicken is still warm and crispy.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional