Air Fryer Bourbon Chicken is a plate of juicy and tender chicken breasts diced and fried up and then tossed in a sweet, bourbon, and brown sugar glaze that makes the entire plate of chicken–Amazing! Served over a heaping bowl of rice for a complete and delicious meal.
I love a great bowl of crispy, diced chicken with a simple sauce that is really easy to make in the air fryer. My kids loved this, and although it has Bourbon in the sauce, most of the alcohol burns off as you are cooking it. If you are worried about the alcohol and serving it to minors, you can substitute the bourbon for apple juice.
If you could not guess, Bourbon chicken is named after the street in New Orleans and named after Bourbon Street.
This chicken dish is served during Mardi Gras on the streets lining the parade. It has a great sweet but spicy taste to it.
If you want an alternative to alcohol, just substitute the bourbon out for apple juice. That way, the dish is family-friendly and, of course, kid-friendly.
How To Make Air Fryer Bourbon Chicken
What You Will Need To Make Air Fryer Bourbon Chicken,
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Olive Oil
- Soy Sauce
- Brown Sugar
- Minced Garlic
How To Cook Air Fryer Bourbon Chicken
Start by cutting the chicken into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Then toss them with the cornstarch.
Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Then set the chicken into the air fryer basket, air fry for 5 minutes at 370 degrees F, air fryer setting. Then toss the chicken and air fry for another 5-7 minutes.
Note: If you have an air fryer basket, shake the basket. If you have an air fryer oven, use a pair of tongs and flip the chicken.
Cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce to add the olive oil, bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, and minced garlic into a saucepan. Over low-medium heat until the sauce starts to simmer.
Note: Since you are heating up alcohol be careful and watch the saucepan.
Toss the chicken with the sauce. Serve over rice, plate, serve and enjoy!
Tips For Making The Best Air Fryer Bourbon Chicken:
- You can either use chicken breasts or diced chicken thighs.
- If you are looking for an alcohol alternative, this dish can also be made with whisky or brandy.
- Most of the alcohol does evaporate during the cooking process, but you can easily switch out the Bourbon out for apple juice or apple cider.
- If you want to add any spice, mix in some red pepper flakes or smoked paprika into the sauce.
- Be careful to shake the basket several times during the cooking process.
- If you want a thicker sauce to add a tablespoon of cornstarch and water for a cornstarch slurry.
CAN I PREPARE THIS IN ADVANCE?
This is a great meal to make ahead of time. I am always looking for meals that can be made ahead of time, and then I can reheat when I get home from work.
Just make the chicken and place covered in an airtight container.
For the best flavor, I would air fry the chicken up in advance and make a fresh sauce. Then toss the chicken into the sauce. For a great dish.
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS?
Yes, this is a great freezer meal.
Make this meal ahead of time, and then let the bourbon chicken cool to room temperature. Then place the bourbon chicken into a freezer-safe container. This freezer meal will last for about 4-6 weeks.
To reheat the frozen bourbon chicken, place the frozen chicken into the refrigerator overnight and then reheat in the microwave, saucepan, or air fryer.
NON-ALCOHOL SUBSTITUTIONS FOR BOURBON
Since most of the alcohol burns off, you can either make it with the alcohol or change the bourbon for apple cider or apple juice.
WHAT TO SERVE THIS WITH
I usually serve this dish over a piping dish of white rice, here are some great options,
- INSTANT POT BASMATI RICE
- INSTANT POT, QUINOA
- EASY INSTANT POT, HOW TO MAKE KNORR’S RICE SIDES IN THE INSTANT POT
- INSTANT POT, HOW TO MAKE BOXED RICE PILAF IN THE INSTANT POT
- INSTANT POT, COCONUT JASMINE RICE
HERE ARE SOME HELPFUL PRODUCTS TO HELP YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE-
|Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.|
DON’T FORGET TO PIN-Print
This delicious air fryer chicken dish is amazing. It’s flavorful, and it is so easy to make in the air fryer. I made a simple bourbon sauce and tossed it on top! Easy and Delicious!
- 1 pound diced boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Cooking Spray
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Cornstarch Slurry: 1 tablespoon water, 1-2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Start by cutting the chicken into 1 to 2-inch pieces. Then toss them with the cornstarch.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Then set the chicken into the air fryer basket, air fry for 5 minutes at 370 degrees F, air fryer setting. Then toss the chicken and air fry for another 5-7 minutes.
- Note: If you have an air fryer basket, shake the basket. If you have an air fryer oven, use a pair of tongs and flip the chicken.
- Cook the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce to add the olive oil, bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, and minced garlic into a saucepan. Over low-medium heat until the sauce starts to simmer.
- If you want to thicken the sauce in a small bowl, make the cornstarch slurry by missing the water and cornstarch.
- Toss the chicken with the sauce.
- Serve over rice, plate, serve and enjoy!
Note: Since you are heating alcohol, be careful to watch the saucepan.
Keywords: Air Fryer Bourbon Chicken