Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes—Mashed potatoes are a beloved classic, a side dish that can elevate any meal from ordinary to extraordinary.
They’re a comforting, creamy delight that pairs perfectly with roasts, grilled meats, or even as a standalone comfort food. But achieving that perfect consistency can sometimes be daunting, especially when juggling a full meal prep.
Enter the Ninja Foodi, a versatile kitchen appliance not just for air frying or pressure cooking. It’s also a secret weapon for making the creamiest and fluffiest mashed potatoes you’ve ever tasted, and it simplifies the entire process from start to finish.
In this guide, we’ll unlock the secrets to creating Ninja Foodi mashed potatoes that are rich, flavorful, and remarkably effortless. Whether cooking for a family gathering, a holiday feast, or just craving comfort food, these mashed potatoes will become your go-to recipe. We’ll delve into the ingredients, step-by-step instructions, and pro tips to ensure your Ninja Foodi mashed potatoes are an absolute triumph in your kitchen. Prepare to savor the perfect bite of creamy heaven with each forkful of these delectable mashed potatoes.
Why Cook Mashed Potatoes in The Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker?
Cooking mashed potatoes in the Ninja Foodi offers several advantages that make it a convenient and efficient choice:
- All-in-One Appliance: The Ninja Foodi is a multi-functional kitchen appliance that combines the functions of a pressure cooker and an air fryer in one. This means you can cook your potatoes, mash them, and even add finishing touches like browning or crisping—all in a single appliance.
- Time Efficiency: The Ninja Foodi’s pressure cooking feature significantly reduces cooking time. Potatoes can be pressure-cooked to perfection in a fraction of the time it takes to boil them conventionally, making it a time-saving option for busy cooks.
- Consistent Results: Pressure cooking ensures that the potatoes cook evenly, resulting in a consistent texture throughout. This eliminates the risk of unevenly cooked potatoes that can sometimes occur when boiling.
- One-Pot Cooking: You can cook the potatoes directly in the Ninja Foodi’s inner pot, reducing the number of dishes to wash. This is particularly convenient when preparing a full meal.
- Customizable: The Ninja Foodi allows you to customize your mashed potatoes by adding ingredients like garlic, herbs, butter, or cream directly during the cooking process. The pressure cooking function infuses these flavors into the potatoes for a richer taste.
- Mash and Crisp: After pressure cooking, you can use the Ninja Foodi’s air frying function to crisp up the top of the mashed potatoes, creating a delightful contrast in texture.
- Keep Warm Feature: The Ninja Foodi has a “Keep Warm” function that lets you keep your mashed potatoes warm until you’re ready to serve, making it convenient for meal planning.
- Versatility: Beyond mashed potatoes, the Ninja Foodi can be used for various other cooking tasks, making it a versatile addition to your kitchen.
Cooking mashed potatoes in the Ninja Foodi streamlines the process, enhances flavor infusion, and delivers consistent, creamy results that will impress your family and guests. It’s a game-changer for potato lovers and anyone looking to simplify their cooking routine.
Ingredients Needed For Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes
These essential ingredients form the foundation for Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes, and you can adjust the seasonings and add-ins to suit your taste preferences.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Potatoes: You can use russet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, or red potatoes, depending on your preference for texture and flavor.
- Water: For pressure, cook the potatoes to perfection.
- Kosher Salt: Season the potatoes during cooking, enhancing their natural flavors.
- Butter: Adds richness and a creamy texture to the mashed potatoes.
- Milk: To achieve the desired creaminess, choose whole milk or cream.
- Optional Additions: You can customize your mashed potatoes with garlic, herbs (such as rosemary or thyme), black pepper, grated cheese, or sour cream for added flavor and flair.
How To Cook Mashed Potatoes In Ninja Foodi
With the Ninja Foodi, you can quickly achieve perfectly cooked and incredibly creamy mashed potatoes, making it a fantastic addition to your culinary arsenal.
Prepare the Potatoes: Start by peeling the potatoes if desired, or leave the skins on for added texture and nutrients. Cut the potatoes into evenly-sized chunks, roughly 1 to 2 inches in diameter.
Pressure Cook: Place potatoes into the Ninja Foodi’s inner pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes, and season the water with a generous pinch of salt.
Close the Ninja Foodi lid and select the “Pressure” cooking mode. Set the cooking time for 10-12 minutes, depending on the size of your potato chunks. Ensure the pressure release valve is in the sealed position. Once the pressure cooking cycle is complete, use the quick-release method to release the pressure by turning the valve to “Vent.”
Mash the Potatoes: When the remaining pressure has been released, open the Ninja Foodi lid and drain the potatoes. Return the potatoes to the inner pot, and using a silicone potato masher, fork, or hand mixer, begin mashing the potatoes to your desired consistency.
Add Butter and Milk: While mashing, add a generous amount of butter and a splash of milk. The exact amounts will depend on your taste and the quantity of potatoes. Start with a few tablespoons of each and adjust as needed.
Mix the butter and milk into the potatoes until they are creamy and smooth. You can also season with additional salt and pepper at this stage.
Customize: To add flavor, consider mixing in minced garlic, chopped fresh herbs, grated cheese, or a dollop of sour cream. These optional add-ins can take your mashed potatoes to the next level.
Keep Warm (Optional): If you’re not serving the mashed potatoes immediately, you can use Ninja Foodi’s “Keep Warm” or warm setting function to maintain the temperature until you’re ready to enjoy.
Serve: Transfer the creamy mashed potatoes to a serving bowl and garnish with a pat of butter or a sprinkle of green onions, parmesan cheese, or fresh herbs, if desired. Serve hot and enjoy!
Pro Tips For The Best Mashed Potatoes
To elevate your Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes to perfection, here are some pro tips to keep in mind:
- Choose the Right Potatoes: While russet potatoes are the classic choice for mashed potatoes due to their high starch content, Yukon Gold potatoes are also a great option. They are naturally creamy and yield velvety mashed potatoes.
- Cut Potatoes Uniformly: Ensure you cut the potato chunks into pieces evenly. This helps them cook uniformly during the pressure cooking stage.
- Season the Cooking Water: Don’t forget to season the water with salt before pressure-cooking the potatoes. This allows the potatoes to absorb some salt, infusing them with flavor from the inside out.
- Use Butter and Milk Wisely: Start with room temperature or slightly warm butter and milk to prevent the potatoes from cooling down too much when you add them. Gradually add these ingredients while mashing until you achieve your desired creaminess.
- Add-Ins and Flavors: Customize your mashed potatoes with minced garlic, fresh herbs, grated cheese, or sour cream for added depth of flavor. These additions can transform your mashed potatoes into something truly special.
- Mash Technique: Use a potato masher, hand mixer, or even a potato ricer for mashing. Avoid using a food processor or blender, as these can overmix the potatoes and make them gluey.
- Consistency Control: If your mashed potatoes turn out thicker than desired, add more warm milk and butter and continue mixing until you reach the desired consistency.
- Keep Warm Feature: If you’re not serving the mashed potatoes immediately, use the Ninja Foodi’s “Keep Warm” function to maintain their temperature without the risk of overcooking.
- Taste and Adjust: Before serving, taste your mashed potatoes and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper, or other preferred seasonings to ensure they are perfectly balanced.
- Garnish Creatively: Consider garnishing your mashed potatoes with a drizzle of melted butter, a sprinkle of chopped fresh herbs, or a dusting of paprika or grated Parmesan for an elegant presentation.
With these pro tips in mind, your Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes will be a crowd-pleasing masterpiece, and you’ll have a versatile and reliable method for making creamy mashed potatoes every time.
Can I use other types of potatoes for mashed potatoes in the Ninja Foodi? Yes, you can use various potato types, including russet, Yukon Gold, or red potatoes. Each variety offers a slightly different texture and flavor profile, so choose the one that suits your taste.
Should I peel the potatoes before making mashed potatoes in the Ninja Foodi? Whether to peel the potatoes or not is a personal preference. Leaving the skins on can add texture and nutrients, while peeled potatoes produce a smoother mash. It’s entirely up to you.
Can I prepare Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes in advance? Yes, you can make mashed potatoes ahead of time. After mashing, transfer them to an airtight container and refrigerate. When ready to serve, reheat them in the Ninja Foodi using the “Keep Warm” function or gently on the stovetop, adding a bit of extra milk to maintain creaminess.
How do I avoid overmixing or making gluey mashed potatoes? To prevent overmixing, use a potato masher or hand mixer and avoid using a food processor or blender. Overmixing can lead to a gummy texture. Mash until you reach your desired consistency, then stop.
Can I freeze Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes? While you can freeze mashed potatoes, they can become slightly grainy in texture after thawing. If you choose to freeze them, store in an airtight container, and when reheating, add a bit of extra butter and milk to improve the texture.
How do I adjust the recipe for a larger or smaller batch of mashed potatoes? The Ninja Foodi is quite versatile. You can easily adjust the number of potatoes you cook by scaling the recipe up or down while keeping the cooking time and pressure cooking settings relatively consistent.
Can I make dairy-free or vegan Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes? Absolutely! You can substitute dairy-free or vegan butter and milk alternatives for a dairy-free version. These mashed potatoes can be just as creamy and delicious.
What can I do with leftover mashed potatoes? Leftover mashed potatoes are incredibly versatile. You can use them as a side dish, fillings for stuffed vegetables, or even make potato pancakes or croquettes.
More Ninja Foodi Recipes
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Instant Pot Green Beans
- Ninja Foodi Steak Tips
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes
- 4 cups potatoes, russet, Yukon Gold, or red, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
Optional add-ins: minced garlic, fresh herbs, grated cheese, or sour cream.
- Place the potato chunks in the Ninja Foodi’s inner pot.
- Add water to cover the potatoes and season with salt.
- Close the Ninja Foodi lid and select the “Pressure” cooking mode. Set the timer for 10-12 minutes (adjust based on the size of your potato chunks).
- Ensure the pressure release valve is in the sealed position.
- Once the pressure cooking cycle is complete, use the quick-release method to release the pressure.
- Open the lid and drain the potatoes.
- Return the drained potatoes to the inner pot.
- Add butter and milk to the potatoes.
- Use a potato masher, hand mixer, or potato ricer to mash the potatoes while gradually mixing in the butter and milk.
- Continue mashing until you achieve your desired creamy consistency.
- Customize your mashed potatoes with optional add-ins like minced garlic, fresh herbs, grated cheese, or sour cream.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the creamy Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes hot.
- Pressure Cooker, Ninja Foodi or Mashed Potatoes