Air Fryer Plantain Chips — Talk about a great and healthy snack. I made a batch for my kids while they were doing virtual school.
And they loved them, and I added some ground cinnamon which really enhanced the flavor. Today, I am giving you my recipe for Air Fryer Plantain Chips.
If you have never made homemade chips, this is the perfect place to start. They are super simple to make, and with the air fryer, they bake up in minutes!
A delicious snack that you can feel good about feeding to the family!
If you have not roasted fruit in the Air Fryer yet, some of my favorite Air Fryer Fruit Recipes are AIR FRYER GRILLED PEACHES, AIR FRYER GRILLED STRAWBERRY ANGEL FOOD CAKE, AIR FRYER STRAWBERRY MASCARPONE BRUSCHETTA, and AIR FRYER ROASTED PEAR SALAD.
What Is A Plantain?
If you ever walked through a grocery store and thought to yourself, that is a strange banana, and then it was probably a plantain.
So, the plantain is actually a fruit, but it is air fried and cooked as a vegetable, just like the tomato. They have really thick skin, and if you ever tried to peel it, you will soon realize this. It can not be eaten raw like it’s look-alike the banana.
It is usually found in Central and South American, Caribbean, African, and Southwestern Asian dishes. They were originally native only to Southeastern Asia, but during the trade routes, they were brought there, and they became really popular in those cultures.
How Do You Peel One?
If you have ever tried to peel a plantain, you will soon learn it’s not easy. The skin is VERY thick. Here are my tips:
- Cut the ends off
- Use your fingernails to go underneath the skin to peel it, it’s not easy, it will require some work. If it is green and will not budge, simply use a knife and cut the skin.
What is A Ripe Plantain:
Just like the banana, green plantains mean that they are not riped as yet. A great plantain is yellow with some black. The best plantains to roast are yellow with some green still, as they will hold their shape.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Plantain Chips
- Ground Cinnamon
- Olive Oil
- Granulated Sugar
How To Make Air Fryer Plantain Chips
Start by peeling and slicing the plantains. You ideally way to get them the same width, so they air fry at the same time. I would recommend about 1/4 inch thick pieces.
Add the sliced plantains and olive oil into a large mixing bowl. Mix well, so all of the plantains are coated, which will help with them getting that roasted flavor.
Add the coated plantains to a PREHEATED air fryer basket, making sure not to crowd them.
Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 4 to 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip the plantains with a spatula, or use a fork. Continue to air fry for another 3 to 5 minutes. As the chips become ready, remove them from the air fryer.
Season with granulated sugar and ground cinnamon before serving.
- This recipe has been prepared in several different air fryers including the Ninja Foodi, PowerXL, Nuwave, Cosori, and other Air Fryer Basket and Air Fryer Oven Models. The recipe will remain the same, with the timing varying by a minute or two.
- For best results do not crowd your air fryer basket, otherwise, you will find that some of the Air Fryer Plantain Chips do not crisp up.
- Try to cut the plantains into the same size pieces, so they all air fry up at the same time.
Are Air Fryer Plantain Chips Healthy?
Yes, these chips are so healthy. Using a little bit of olive oil, they are a healthy and delicious snack that you can serve to your family!
If you compare Air Frying Plantain Chips to Deep-Frying them, you will save a ton of calories and fat from frying them!
Same great taste but a healthy version!
What Are Plantain Chips Made Of?
Simple ingredients, any grocery store in America will have some plantains, usually found right near the bananas.
You can use either green or yellow plantains for this recipe!
How Long Does Plantain Take In Air Fryer?
If you want to make Air Fryer Plantain Chips they will take about 8 to 10 minutes. It will really depend on how thick the plantain chips are.
How Long Does It Take To Dehydrate Plantains?
Depending on what Air Fryer you own, it will take about 8 to 12 hours to dehydrate Plantains.
Are Plantain Chips The Same As Banana Chips?
Besides form the obvious reason, plantain chips are made from plantains, and banana chips are made from bananas.
Banana chips are less crispier than plantain chips and taste different.
Are Plantains High In Sugar?
They are actually very low in sugar. In other countries, they are actually used in baked goods to give natural sugars.
Can This Be Made In The Oven?
Yes, use the same method, and then bake them in a preheated oven for 5-7 minutes at 425 degrees F.
How Do You Store Air Fryer Roasted Plantains-
Let them cool to room temperature, and then place in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. They will last about a week.
You can reheat them in the microwave, air fryer, or stove.
Some Other Great Air Fryer Fruit Recipes:
- AIR FRYER ROASTED PEAR SALAD
- AIR FRYER BAKED APPLES WITH GRANOLA
- EASY AIR FRYER, GRILLED WATERMELON WITH LIME AND MINT
- AIR FRYER RUM SOAKED PINEAPPLE
- AIR FRYER CINNAMON APPLE CHIPS
- EASY AIR FRYER GERMAN APPLE PANCAKES
- AIR FRYER APPLE DUMPLINGS
Don’t Forget To Pin:
- 2 large plantains, green
- 4-6 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Start by peeling and slicing the plantains. You ideally way to get them the same width, so they air fry at the same time. I would recommend about 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Add the sliced plantains and olive oil into a large mixing bowl. Mix well, so all of the plantains are coated, which will help with them getting that roasted flavor.
- Add the coated plantains to a PREHEATED air fryer basket, making sure not to crowd them.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 4 to 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, flip the plantains with a spatula, or use a fork. Continue to air fry for another 3 to 5 minutes. As the chips become ready, remove them from the air fryer.
- Season with granulated sugar and ground cinnamon before serving.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 4gSugar: 28gProtein: 1g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.