Air Fryer Apple Dumplings — If you follow my blog, you know I’m a massive air fryer fan. It’s so easy to use, making cooking healthy food fun!
I wanted to share this Air Fryer Apple Dumplings recipe because it’s quick and easy enough that even novice cooks can do it with all the right ingredients.
Air Fryer Apple Dumplings are the ultimate dessert for apple lovers. You have a puff pastry shell filled with diced apples, raisins, and brown sugar. Cook these dumplings in your air fryer for a flaky, tender crust and soft apple filling—a fantastic fall apple dessert.
My kids love these; they are so easy. My kids always request that I make them with other available dough. Today, I am giving you my easy recipe for Air Fryer Apple Dumplings.
If you love everything apple, some of my favorite Air Fryer Dessert Recipes are AIR FRYER APPLE PIE BAKED APPLES, AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE HAND PIES, AIR FRYER APPLE PLUM TARTS, and AIR FRYER CARAMEL APPLE DANISH.
Easy Air Fryer Apple Dumpling Recipe
These homemade air fryer apple dumplings are so easy to make and delicious. They are filled with apples, and today, I added some raisins for added flavor.
These are true comfort foods, and I enjoy every September when I make these after a day of apple picking. Paired with hot coffee, you have the perfect breakfast or dessert.
What Are Apple Dumplings
Apple dumplings are such a popular recipe. You have a puff pastry filled with fresh-cut apples, brown sugar, and raisins, then air-fried to a golden brown texture. When you slice it, you have tender, flavorful apples. It is, in a way, similar to a mini apple pie.
Why You Will Love This Recipe!
You’ll love this recipe for Air Fryer Apple Dumplings for several reasons:
- Quick and Easy: This recipe is incredibly simple and quick to prepare. You can quickly prepare delicious apple dumplings for a last-minute dessert or snack.
- Minimal Ingredients: You only need basic ingredients to make these dumplings, including crescent roll dough, apples, sugar, cinnamon, and butter. It’s a fuss-free recipe that doesn’t require extensive shopping or preparation.
- Warm and Comforting: Air-frying the dumplings results in a warm, flaky, and slightly crispy exterior that perfectly complements the soft, cinnamon-spiced apple filling. It’s a comforting dessert that’s perfect for chilly evenings or anytime you crave something cozy.
- Deliciously Sweet and Tangy: The combination of sweet apple slices, sugar, and cinnamon creates a delightful balance of flavors. The apple’s natural tartness contrasts with the sweetness, making each bite a flavor explosion.
- Perfectly Portioned: This recipe yields individual servings, so you can enjoy portion control. It’s great for serving guests or family members who can customize their dumplings with their favorite toppings.
- Kid-Friendly: Children and adults alike adore the taste of warm apple dumplings. It’s a family-friendly dessert that can bring everyone together.
- Versatile Toppings: You can get creative with toppings. Serve your dumplings with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of caramel sauce, or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra layer of indulgence.
- Healthier Alternative: Air frying is a healthier cooking method than deep frying. You’ll achieve a similar crispiness without excessive oil, making this dessert a better choice for those looking to reduce their fat intake.
- Impressive Presentation: The golden-brown, flaky crescent rolls encasing the apple filling make an impressive presentation. It’s a dessert that looks and tastes like it took hours to prepare, but it’s quite simple.
- Seasonal Treat: This recipe is ideal for fall when apples are in season. You can use your favorite apple variety, from tart Granny Smith to sweet Honeycrisp, to suit your taste.
In summary, Air Fryer Apple Dumplings are a delightful dessert that’s quick, easy, and bursting with warm, comforting flavors. Whether you enjoy them on their own or with your choice of toppings, these dumplings are sure to become a favorite treat for any occasion.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Apple Dumplings
These ingredients come together to create a delightful dessert that’s warm, comforting, and bursting with sweet, spiced apple goodness.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Apples: Fresh apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp are the recipe’s star. They add a sweet and slightly tart flavor along with a tender texture.
- Puff Pastry, pie crust, or crescent roll dough: Crescent roll dough is the flaky, buttery pastry that encases the apple filling, providing a delicious, golden-brown crust.
- Granulated Sugar or Brown Sugar: Sugar is used to sweeten the apple filling, creating a delightful contrast with the tartness of the apples.
- Ground Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon adds warm, aromatic spice to the apple filling, enhancing its flavor and aroma.
- Butter: Butter is used to dot the tops of the dumplings, adding a rich, buttery flavor and helping to create a golden-brown, crispy exterior.
- Optional Toppings: Toppings like vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, or whipped cream can garnish the dumplings, adding extra flavor and presentation.
How To Make Air Fryer Apple Dumplings
Making Air Fryer Apple Dumplings is a simple and delightful process. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make this delicious dessert:
Peel and dice apples into ½ inch pieces. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, and water to a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the apples are tender.
Let set for 5 minutes to cool down. Unroll the pie crust onto parchment paper, and cut the dough into 4 equal pieces.
Add ¼ of the filling to the middle of each piece of pie dough, and bunch sides to the middle, pinching at the very top to seal.
Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F (175°C) for 3-5 minutes. Preheating ensures even cooking and a crisp exterior. Lightly grease the air fryer basket to prevent sticking. Place the prepared apple dumplings in the basket in a single layer, ensuring they don’t touch each other.
Cook the apple dumplings in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-12 minutes or until they turn golden brown and the apples are tender. Cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer, so keep an eye on them.
Stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Melt butter, and brush each pie bomb with butter. Then sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Drizzle caramel on top of each pie bomb.
Air Fryer Apple Dumplings are versatile and can be customized to suit your preferences. Here are some recipe variations and additions to consider:
- Apple Pie Spice: Instead of just ground cinnamon, use apple pie spice for a more complex flavor profile. It typically contains cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Different Apple Varieties: Experiment with apple varieties to discover flavor profiles. Granny Smith apples are tart, while Honeycrisp is sweet and crisp.
- Caramel-Stuffed Dumplings: Add a caramel candy or a caramel cube to the center of each apple dumpling before sealing them. The caramel will melt as they cook, creating a gooey, sweet surprise.
- Nutty Crunch: Sprinkle chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, over the apples before wrapping them in the crescent roll dough for added texture and flavor.
- Raisins or Dried Cranberries: Mix raisins or dried cranberries into the apple filling for a burst of fruity sweetness and chewiness.
- Syrup Glaze: After air frying, brush the dumplings with warm maple syrup or honey for a glossy finish and an extra layer of sweetness.
- Lemon Zest: Add a pinch of lemon zest to the sugar-cinnamon mixture for a subtle citrusy aroma and flavor.
- Cheddar-Stuffed Dumplings: For a unique twist, add a small cube of sharp cheddar cheese to the center of each dumpling before wrapping them. The combination of sweet and savory is delightful.
- Flavored Crescents: Use flavored crescent roll dough, such as buttery or honey-flavored, to enhance the taste of the dough.
- Mini Dumplings: Make bite-sized dumplings by using smaller apple slices and cutting the crescent roll triangles in half. These are perfect for serving at parties or as finger food.
- Savory Version: Try a savory twist by filling the dumplings with ingredients like brie cheese and prosciutto. Skip the sugar-cinnamon mixture and opt for herbs and seasonings.
- Drizzle with Caramel Sauce: After air frying, drizzle the dumplings with warm caramel sauce for a decadent dessert.
- Berry Fusion: Add a handful of fresh berries, such as raspberries or blueberries, to the apple filling for a fruity and colorful twist.
- Peach or Pear Dumplings: Substitute apples with sliced peaches or pears for a different fruit flavor.
- Ala Mode: Serve your apple dumplings with a scoop of your favorite ice cream, such as vanilla, cinnamon, or caramel.
Feel free to mix and match these variations or invent your own to create a unique and personalized dessert experience with your Air Fryer Apple Dumplings.
To ensure your Air Fryer Apple Dumplings turn out perfectly every time, here are some pro tips to keep in mind:
- Choose the Right Apples: Select apples that are firm and slightly tart for the best results. Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples work well, but you can experiment with your favorites.
- Evenly Slice the Apples: Use a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife to slice the apples evenly. This ensures that they cook uniformly and have a consistent texture in the dumplings.
- Don’t Overfill: When filling the crescent roll dough with apples and sugar-cinnamon mixture, avoid overfilling. Overfilling can lead to leakage during cooking. A moderate amount of filling is ideal.
- Seal the Edges Well: Ensure that you seal the edges of the crescent roll dough tightly to prevent any filling from escaping during cooking. A good seal is essential for achieving a neat and tidy result.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to the specified temperature in the recipe. Preheating helps with even cooking and ensures a crispy crust.
- Use a Greased Basket: Lightly grease the air fryer basket to prevent sticking. You can use a non-stick cooking spray or brush it with a small amount of oil.
- Avoid Overcrowding: Place the dumplings in the air fryer basket in a single layer with some space between them. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking, so cook them in batches if necessary.
- Check for Doneness: Keep a close eye on the dumplings as they cook. They are ready when they turn golden brown and the apple slices are tender. Cooking times may vary depending on your air fryer model.
- Serve Warm: Air Fryer Apple Dumplings are best enjoyed warm. Let them cool slightly after cooking, as they will be very hot.
- Customize Toppings: Get creative with toppings. Vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce, whipped cream, or a dusting of powdered sugar can enhance the flavor and presentation.
- Experiment with Fillings: Feel free to experiment with different fillings like nuts, dried fruits, or even a touch of lemon zest to customize the flavor.
- Reheat Carefully: If you have leftovers, reheat them in the air fryer for a few minutes to restore their crispiness. Avoid microwaving, as it can make the crust soggy.
By following these pro tips, you’ll be well on your way to making perfect Air Fryer Apple Dumplings that are deliciously crispy on the outside and filled with sweet, spiced apples on the inside. Enjoy this comforting dessert!
Can I use puff pastry instead of crescent roll dough? Yes, you can substitute puff pastry for crescent roll dough if you prefer a different pastry texture. Puff pastry will create a flakier and more buttery crust.
What’s the best way to store leftover apple dumplings? Store any leftover apple dumplings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. You can reheat them in the air fryer or oven to restore their crispiness.
Can I freeze apple dumplings? Yes, you can freeze uncooked apple dumplings for later use. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze until solid. Then, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag or container. When ready to cook, air fry them from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
What type of sugar works best in the sugar-cinnamon mixture? Granulated sugar is commonly used in the sugar-cinnamon mixture, but you can also use brown sugar for a slightly different flavor profile.
Can I make mini apple dumplings for bite-sized treats? Yes, you can make smaller dumplings by using less filling and cutting the crescent roll dough triangles in half. Mini apple dumplings are perfect for serving as appetizers or finger foods.
Is it necessary to add vanilla extract to the filling? No, adding vanilla extract is optional. It can enhance the flavor of the filling, but the recipe works well without it if you prefer a simpler taste.
Can I make savory dumplings using the same method? Yes, you can create savory dumplings by filling them with ingredients like cheese, ham, or vegetables, and omitting the sugar-cinnamon mixture. Savory dumplings can be a delightful appetizer or side dish.
Can I use a different fruit besides apples? Absolutely! You can experiment with other fruits like pears or peaches to create unique variations of this dessert.
Can I make these dumplings ahead of time for a party? Yes, you can assemble the dumplings ahead of time and refrigerate them until you’re ready to air fry. This can save time when hosting guests.
What’s the best way to reheat leftover apple dumplings? Reheat leftover apple dumplings in the air fryer or oven for a few minutes until they are heated through and the crust becomes crispy again. Avoid using the microwave, as it can make the crust soggy.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER GINGERBREAD MUFFINS
- AIR FRYER CHEESECAKE RECIPE
- EASY AIR FRYER GINGERSNAP COOKIES
- AIR FRYER FRUIT TART
- AIR FRYER ITALIAN BISCOTTI
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Apple Dumplings
Apple Dumpling Ingredients:
- 2 large apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 1 whole prepared pie crust
Apple Dumpling Topping:
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon Caramel syrup
- Peel and dice apples into ½ inch pieces.
- Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch and water to a medium skillet, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the apples are tender.
- Let set for 5 minutes to cool down.
- Unroll pie crust onto baking sheet, and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Add ¼ of the filling to the middle of each piece of pie sheet, and bunch sides to the middle, pinching at the very top to seal.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F (175°C) for 3-5 minutes. Preheating ensures even cooking and a crisp exterior. Lightly grease the air fryer basket to prevent sticking. Place the prepared apple dumplings in the basket in a single layer, ensuring they don't touch each other.
- Cook the apple dumplings in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for about 10-12 minutes or until they turn golden brown and the apples are tender. Cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer, so keep an eye on them.
- Stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl. Melt butter, and brush each pie bomb with butter. Then sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Drizzle caramel on top of each pie bomb.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper