My recipe for Banana Chips in the air fryer is a great way to use up bananas. They’re crispy and delicious, and they make a healthy snack or even dessert!
Banana Chips Recipe
This is an easy and delicious snack that kids and adults love. Air fryer banana chips are foolproof to make.
They make for an excellent and healthy snack — so put down the potato chips and grab some bananas! With just a few ingredients, you can have this tasty treat in minutes! The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for them to cool down so you can start nibbling.
I used to make these in the oven for a quick and healthy lunchbox treat. Today, I’m going to show you how to make banana chips in the air fryer! It’s so easy, and you don’t even have to wait for the oven to preheat.
If you were looking for other Air Fryer Banana Recipes some of my favorites are AIR FRYER COPYCAT STARBUCKS BANANA BREAD, AIR FRYER BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS, and of course AIR FRYER HOMEMADE BANANA BREAD.
Why You’ll Love This Banana Chips Air Fryer Recipe
- Kid approved
- Great for a quick snack
What Are Banana Chips?
If you have never had banana chips before, they are prevalent in India or Indonesia and are known as street food in those countries. They are typically served with sugar or honey.
You can also add other seasonings to this banana chips air fryer recipe so it is a little different each time.
While these chips are usually fried, we used the air fryer to make a light and delicious but crunchy snack.
Our Latest Video:
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Banana Chips
How To Make Banana Chips In The Air Fryer
Step 1: Slice bananas
Start by cutting the bananas about 1/4 inch thick. In a small bowl, mix the water, salt, and turmeric powder.
Step 2: Soak
Soak your bananas in the mixture for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Step 3: Dry
Use a paper towel to dry the fruit.
Step 4: Air Fry
Spray your basket with cooking spray, then place your coated bananas into the basket. Coat the sliced bananas generously with cooking spray.
Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 5 to 10 minutes.
Pro Tips for Homemade Banana Chips:
- Use a Mandoline slicer so that all of the slices are equally sized. This will also help them to cook evenly.
- I sometimes slice the fruit lengthwise for a summer treat with ice cream, then add the slices to an ice cream sundae.
- Adjust my banana chips air fryer recipe to fit your tastes. Add some extra salt after you spray with oil for some extra flavor, or add some ground cinnamon. Both will make this snack taste amazing.
Banana Chips Recipe Variations And Ingredients Notes
These air fryer banana chips have a lot of flavor options. Over the years, I’ve experimented and found that adding specific spices can really elevate them!
- For some savory heat, add some smoked paprika, chili powder, or even a couple of drops of hot sauce.
- Cinnamon and sugar will make these a sweet treat!
- Turmeric is the general way everyone prepares these because it allows the banana chips to keep their yellow coloring during the air fryer cooking process. If you are not familiar with turmeric, it is simply a spice that gives food a bright yellow color and has many health benefits.
It’s one of the most popular spices in Indian cuisine, but it also makes dishes taste better worldwide. Some research suggests that turmeric may have anti-inflammatory properties and help with arthritis pain, depression, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer prevention, and more! You can find it at most grocery stores in the US, or you can order online
Air fryer banana chips go with so many things! They go great with savory snacks like guacamole and AIR FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, or sweet desserts like chocolate cake and AIR FRYER CHERRY CHEESECAKE CUPCAKES!
Why Should I Make Banana Chips At Home?
Because it’s incredibly simple, and you know exactly what ingredients are in them.
While store-bought and homemade options may look the same, the latter are free from any chemicals and preservatives. And with the simple ingredients that we used, they are a natural, healthy, and gluten-free snack.
How to Make Banana Chips in the Oven
Now that you know how to make banana chips in the air fryer, you may be wondering how to do it in the oven! If you want to make large quantities at once, the oven is the best way to prepare them:
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and add the sliced bananas. Place them into a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Flip them halfway during the cooking process so both sides get evenly cooked.
- When the banana chips recipe starts to brown, remove them from the oven. Let them rest for a short time before removing them from the baking sheets.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
What Type Of Bananas Do I Need?
While most recipes require ripe bananas, the best bananas for this banana chips recipe are slightly underripe.
So, grab a bunch of green bananas because they hold their shape better. Just know that they won’t be quite as sweet.
What Is The Difference Between Banana Chips and Plantain Chips?
Bananas and plantains are two different varieties of the same species. The only difference between these two is their starch content, which dictates how they’re cooked.
Bananas have a high starch content and can be eaten raw or boiled to make banana chips, while plantains have a low starch content that allows them to fry without breaking down into mushiness.
Don’t miss my AIR FRYER PLANTAINS recipe if you’d like to try them!
Storing This Banana Chips Recipe
You can store chips of any quality for a long time, so it’s great news that you’ll have plenty on hand.
Let the chips cool to room temperature, then place them into an airtight container. They will last at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks.
More Air Fryer Fruit Recipes:
- AIR FRYER DEHYDRATED BLUEBERRIES
- AIR FRYER FRIED APPLE FRIES
- EASY AIR FRYER APPLE FRIES
- AIR FRYER APPLE CHIPS
- AIR FRYER APPLE DUMPLINGS
Banana Chips in the Air Fryer
- 4 large bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon water
- Start by cutting the bananas about 1/4 inch thick.
- In a small bowl, mix the water, salt, and turmeric powder.
- Soak your bananas into the mixture for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a paper towel and dry off the banana chips.
- Spray your basket with cooking spray, and then place your coated bananas into the air fryer basket. Spray the banana chips generously with cooking spray.
- Set the temperature to 350 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer