Air Fryer Pizza Toast –Pizza toast is one of the best lunch or snack options at home. But have you ever tried making pizza toast using an air fryer? If not, then you’re in for a treat! An air fryer is a versatile appliance that can make your pizza toast crispy and delicious without oil.
It is also a fast and convenient way to make pizza toast, perfect for a quick meal!
What Is Pizza Toast?
Pizza toast is a quick and easy way to enjoy the flavors of a pizza without making an entire pizza from scratch. It essentially involves topping a slice of bread with typical pizza ingredients—such as tomato sauce, cheese, and various other toppings—and then toasting or baking it until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Pizza toast is a popular snack or quick meal that can be customized to suit individual tastes, making it a versatile option for any time of the day.
Pizza toast is particularly popular for its simplicity and quick cooking time. You can use almost any bread as the base, from slices of a simple white loaf to more artisanal options like sourdough or whole grain. The toppings can be just as varied, from traditional choices like pepperoni and bell peppers to exotic options like smoked salmon or prosciutto.
Because it is so easy to make, pizza toast is also a great option for children or for anyone learning to cook. It can be a fun activity where everyone can customize their slice, providing both a meal and an experience.
Pizza toast is convenient and delicious whether you need a quick dinner, a simple lunch, or a satisfying snack.
Can You Cook Pizza Toast In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook pizza toast in an air fryer, which is quick and simple! An air fryer can give your pizza toast a crispier texture than a conventional oven or toaster oven. Plus, it’s faster and often more energy-efficient.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Pizza Toast
Creating delicious air fryer pizza toast starts with gathering the right ingredients. This is a great alternative to traditional pizza, perfect for pizza night or as a tasty snack. Here’s a detailed list of what you’ll need, along with descriptions to guide you:
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as teh nutritional information.
- Sliced Bread: Choose a hearty bread that can hold up to the toppings. Sourdough, Multigrain Bread, ciabatta, and whole grain are excellent options for a robust base.
- Pizza Sauce: This will serve as the flavorful foundation for your toppings. You can use store-bought or homemade tomato sauce. You can even choose a simple marinara sauce if you prefer a lighter option.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese: Mozzarella provides that classic, stretchy, and gooey cheese texture we love in pizzas. Opt for freshly shredded for the best melting.
- Parmesan Cheese: This adds a nutty and salty kick, perfect for cheese lovers.
- Pepperoni Slices: Slices of Pepperoni are classic and flavorful; these add a nice spicy touch.
- Cooked Sausage: Make sure it’s pre-cooked, as the air frying time won’t be enough to cook raw sausage.
- Bell Peppers: Adds sweetness and a crunch.
- Red Onion: Provides a bit of sharpness and color.
- Black Olives: These bring in a savory and salty note.
- Dried Oregano: For that classic Italian flavor.
- Red Pepper Flakes: For those who like spicy, adjust to taste.
- Fresh Basil Leaves (a handful): Sprinkles a fresh, aromatic touch over the cooked pizza toast.
- Cooking Spray or Olive Oil: Lightly coat the air fryer basket, preventing the bread from sticking.
Feel free to add, omit, or substitute ingredients to suit your dietary needs or preferences. Once you have all your ingredients, you’re ready to make a delicious batch of air fryer pizza toast!
How to Make Pizza Toast In Air Fryer
Ready to combine the comfort of a warm slice of toast with the irresistible allure of pizza? Look no further than air fryer pizza toast—a quick, easy, and incredibly tasty treat perfect for busy weeknights, lazy weekends, after school snack, or any time you’re craving something delicious but don’t want to go through the hassle of making a pizza from scratch.
Using your air fryer, you can achieve a crispy, crunchy base topped with gooey, melty cheese and all your favorite toppings, all in under 10 minutes. Whether cooking for one or feeding a hungry crowd, this air fryer pizza toast will become your new go-to for a speedy and satisfying meal or snack.
Preparation: Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F (175°C) for 2-3 minutes.
Assemble: Spread a layer of sauce over one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Add any additional toppings you desire.
Arrange in Air Fryer: Place the assembled pizza toast slices in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not touching to allow for proper air circulation. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches.
Cook: Close the air fryer and set cook time for 350°F (175°C) for about 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly bubbly and the edges of the bread are crispy and golden brown.
Check: Open the air fryer to check for doneness. If you like your cheese more browned, you can cook for an additional 1–2 minutes.
Serve: Carefully remove the pizza toast slices from the air fryer (they will be hot), and let them cool for a minute or two before eating.
Enjoy: Your air fryer pizza toast is ready to be enjoyed!
Pro Tips For Making Air Fryer Toast Pizza
Making air fryer pizza toast is straightforward, but a few pro tips can elevate your dish from good to great. Here’s how you can get the most out of your air fryer pizza toast experience:
Quality Matters: The best breads are sturdy, high-quality bread like sourdough or a hearty whole grain to serve as a robust base for your toppings. Flimsy bread may get too soggy.
Sauce and Cheese:
Sauce Moderation: Don’t overdo the sauce; a little goes a long way. Too much can make your toast soggy; while marinara sauce is the classic, you can also use alfredo sauce. Homemade pizza sauce or store-bought sauce will work.
Cheese Variety: While mozzarella is the go-to, mix in cheddar cheese, gouda, goat cheese, vegan cheese, or even some parmesan cheese for a flavor kick.
Precooked Veggies: If you’re using vegetables that release a lot of moisture, like mushrooms or zucchini, consider sautéing them briefly before adding them to your pizza toast.
Seasonings: Try garlic powder, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, or fresh parsley.
Meat Considerations: Pre-cook toppings like sausage or raw meat, as the air fryer won’t have enough time to cook them thoroughly.
Batch Cooking: Avoid overcrowding the air fryer. Make sure there’s enough space between each slice for hot air to circulate freely.
Flip for Crisp: For an extra crispy base, you can flip the pizza toast halfway through the cooking process, although this may be tricky with toppings.
Check and Adjust:
Temperature and Time: The exact cooking time and temperature can vary depending on your specific air fryer model and the thickness of your bread. Keep an eye out and adjust as necessary.
Cheese Watch: Some air fryers tend to blow lightweight items around. If your cheese isn’t melting properly, you might want to pause halfway and press it down a bit with a spatula. You can also add the shredded cheese underneath the pizza sauce.
Fresh Herbs: After cooking, add a sprinkle of fresh herbs like basil or oregano to enhance flavor.
Dipping Sauce: Serve with a side of extra marinara or even a garlic butter sauce for added flavor.
Aluminum Foil or Parchment Paper: Use air fryer-safe parchment paper or aluminum foil for easier cleanup, but make sure it doesn’t cover the entire base of the basket to allow for air circulation.
By following these pro tips, you’ll make air fryer pizza toast that is quick, easy, and incredibly delicious!
Can I use any type of bread for air fryer pizza toast?
Yes, you can use various types of bread like white, whole grain, sourdough, or even a baguette sliced lengthwise. Just remember that the type of bread you use may affect the cooking time and final texture. Even French bread slices would work for this recipe.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer?
While not strictly necessary for all models, preheating the air fryer generally helps achieve a more uniform cooking result. It’s a good practice to preheat for a couple of minutes.
Can I use homemade pizza sauce?
Absolutely! Homemade pizza sauce can give your pizza toast a more authentic and personalized flavor.
What if my cheese isn’t melting properly?
If the cheese isn’t melting well, you may want to pause the air fryer halfway through the cooking time and press down the cheese with a spatula to ensure it sticks to the toppings and bread.
Can I use pre-cooked or leftover meats as toppings?
Yes, you can use pre-cooked meats like grilled chicken, leftover sausage, or even deli meats. Since the cooking time is short, pre-cooked meats ensure that everything is heated.
How do I prevent the bread from getting too soggy?
Use a moderate sauce and consider pre-cooking vegetables that release much moisture, like mushrooms, to prevent sogginess.
Can I make air fryer pizza toast ahead of time?
While best enjoyed fresh, you can assemble the pizza toast ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Just pop it in the air fryer when you’re ready to eat.
Can I cook frozen pizza toast in the air fryer?
You can cook frozen pizza toast, but you must adjust the cooking time. It’s best to start with a lower temperature to heat the middle before the top starts to brown.
Can I stack multiple layers of bread in the air fryer?
Stacking is not recommended as it can result in uneven cooking and melting. It’s best to cook in batches for consistent results.
How do I clean up afterward?
For easier cleanup, you can use air fryer-safe parchment paper or aluminum foil at the bottom of the basket, ensuring it doesn’t obstruct airflow. Most air fryer baskets are also dishwasher-safe.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Garlic Texas Toast
- Air Fryer French Fries
- AIR FRYER APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE
- PREPARING A BUNDT CAKE IN THE AIR FRYER OR INSTANT POT
- AIR FRYER PEACH DUMP CAKE
- BETTY CROCKER MUG TREATS AIR FRYER
- HOW TO BAKE A CAKE IN THE NINJA FOODI
- AIR FRYER PUMPKIN CAKE POPS
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT PANERA CINNAMON CRUMB COFFEE CAKE
Air Fryer Pizza Toast
- 4 slices bread, white, whole grain, sourdough, etc.
- 1/2 cup Pizza sauce , or marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup Mozzarella cheese, Shredded
- Additional toppings like pepperoni, like pepperoni, olives, bell peppers, onions, etc.
- Preparation: Preheat your air fryer to 350°F (175°C). If your air fryer requires preheating, this is the time to do it.
- Assemble: Spread a layer of pizza sauce over one side of each bread slice. Sprinkle a generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese on top. Add any additional toppings you desire.
- Arrange in Air Fryer: Place the assembled pizza toast slices in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching to allow for proper air circulation. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook in batches.
- Cook: Close the air fryer and cook at 350°F (175°C) for about 5–7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly bubbly and the edges of the bread are crispy.
- Check: Open the air fryer to check for doneness. If you like your cheese more browned, you can cook for an additional 1–2 minutes.
- Serve: Carefully remove the pizza toast slices from the air fryer (they will be hot), and let them cool for a minute or two before eating.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional