Air Fryer Canned Sweet Potatoes — Today, we’re about to turn a simple pantry staple into a culinary delight. We are introducing our latest kitchen experiment:
Air Fryer Canned Sweet Potatoes! This recipe is a game-changer for anyone who loves the sweet, earthy flavor of sweet potatoes but is looking for a quick and convenient way to prepare them.
Get ready to rediscover a pantry gem with our latest culinary spotlight: Canned Sweet Potatoes! Often overlooked, these canned delights are a convenient and versatile ingredient that can add a touch of sweetness and a whole lot of nutrition to your meals.
👩🍳 Why Embrace Canned Sweet Potatoes?
- Convenience at its Best: Skip the peeling and chopping. Canned sweet potatoes are pre-cooked and ready to be transformed into something delicious.
- Versatile Ingredient: Whether baking, mashing, or incorporating them into stews, these sweet potatoes are an adaptable ingredient for many dishes.
- Nutrition Packed: Rich in vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants, they’re a healthy addition to any diet
🥘 What Can You Do with Them?
- Quick Side Dishes: Mash them with cinnamon and nutmeg for a speedy, tasty side.
- Delightful Desserts: Use them in pies, puddings, or even sweet potato bread.
- Hearty Main Courses: Add them to soups, curries, or casseroles for extra heartiness and flavor
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Side Dishes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER LOADED TATER TOTS, AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES, AIR FRYER BAKED POTATOES (POTATO) RECIPE and AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO TEMPURA.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Canned Sweet Potatoes
Transform a simple pantry item into a delightful and healthy dish with these critical ingredients for Air Fryer Canned Sweet Potatoes: These roasted sweet potatoes are a great addition to your Holiday meal or make a delicious side dish.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Canned Sweet Potatoes: Convenient and time-saving, canned sweet potatoes are pre-cooked, soft, and packed with natural sweetness, making them a perfect fit for quick air frying.
- Olive Oil or Melted Butter: A drizzle of olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, or melted butter enhances the flavor and texture, ensuring your sweet potatoes get that desirable crispy exterior while remaining moist inside.
- Salt: A pinch balances the potatoes’ natural sweetness, bringing out their rich, earthy flavors.
- Ground Cinnamon: Adding ground cinnamon infuses a warm, spicy-sweet aroma and taste, complementing the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
- Brown Sugar (Optional): A sprinkle of brown sugar works wonders for an extra hint of caramel-like sweetness and a lovely glaze.
- Fresh Herbs (Optional, like Parsley or Rosemary): Chopped fresh herbs can add a pop of color and a fresh flavor contrast, enhancing the overall taste profile.
- Black Pepper (Optional): A light sprinkle of black pepper can introduce a subtle heat, which contrasts nicely with the sweet and earthy notes of the potatoes.
Each ingredient works together to create a dish that is easy and quick to prepare and loaded with comforting flavors and textures.
How To Make Canned Sweet Potatoes In Air Fryer
Making canned sweet potatoes in an air fryer is a simple and delicious way to enjoy this nutritious vegetable. Here’s a straightforward guide to preparing them:
Drain the Sweet Potatoes: Open the can of sweet potatoes and drain out the liquid. Gently rinse the potatoes under cold water.
Dry the Potatoes: Pat the sweet potatoes dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This step is crucial for getting them crispy in the air fryer.
Season the Sweet Potatoes: Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil or melted butter in a large bowl. Ensure they are evenly coated.
Sprinkle with salt and ground cinnamon to taste. Add brown sugar, black pepper, and other desired seasonings or herbs if you’re using them.
Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F (193°C) for 4-5 minutes. This helps in cooking them evenly.
Arrange in the Air Fryer: Place the seasoned sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Avoid overcrowding to ensure they cook evenly.
Cook: Air fry the sweet potatoes at 380°F (193°C) for 10-15 minutes. Shake the basket or flip the potatoes halfway through the cooking time for even crisping.
Check for Doneness: The sweet potatoes are done when they are tender inside and crispy on the outside. Cooking times may vary slightly depending on your air fryer model and the size of the sweet potato pieces.
Serve: Serve the sweet potatoes hot as a side dish or a snack. They are great on their own or with a dip.
Best Brands Of Canned Sweeet Potatoes
When it comes to canned sweet potatoes, several reputable brands are known for producing quality products. The best brand for you may depend on personal taste, dietary preferences, and availability in your region. Here are some well-known brands that offer canned sweet potatoes:
- Libby’s: Libby’s is a widely recognized brand known for its canned fruits and vegetables. They offer canned sweet potatoes in syrup and with no added sugar varieties.
- Bruce’s Yams: Bruce’s is another popular brand specializing in canned yams and sweet potatoes. They offer a range of options, including cut sweet potatoes and yam patties.
- Princella: Princella is known for its high-quality canned sweet potatoes. They offer a variety of cuts, including whole, sliced, and diced, as well as seasoned options.
- Glory Foods: Glory Foods offers canned sweet potatoes in various cuts, including yams, whole sweet potatoes, and mashed potatoes. They also have seasoned varieties for added convenience.
- Del Monte: Del Monte is a trusted brand that produces a wide range of canned fruits and vegetables. They offer canned sweet potatoes in syrup, making them versatile for different recipes.
- Hormel: Hormel offers canned sweet potatoes, often called “Hormel Compleats.” These are fully cooked and can be a convenient option for quick meals.
- Faribault Foods (Mrs. Gerry’s): Faribault Foods produces canned sweet potatoes under the Mrs. Gerry’s brand. They offer a variety of cuts, including whole, sliced, and diced sweet potatoes.
- Kroger Brand: If you shop at Kroger or one of its affiliated grocery stores, their store-brand canned sweet potatoes are often of good quality and budget-friendly.
- Great Value (Walmart Brand): Walmart’s Great Value brand offers canned sweet potatoes at an affordable price, making them a convenient choice for many shoppers.
- Private Labels: Many grocery stores have their private-label canned sweet potatoes. These are often cost-effective and can vary in quality, so reading product labels and reviews is a good idea.
When selecting canned sweet potatoes, consider whether you prefer them in syrup, with no added sugar, or in water. Additionally, check the ingredient list for additives or preservatives if you have specific dietary preferences or restrictions. Ultimately, the best brand for you will depend on your taste preferences and how you plan to use the canned sweet potatoes in your recipes.
Air frying canned sweet potatoes can yield delicious results with a crispy exterior and a soft, flavorful interior. Here are some pro tips for making the most of your air-fried canned sweet potatoes:
- Pat Dry: After rinsing canned sweet potatoes, pat them dry with paper towels. Removing excess moisture helps them crisp up better in the air fryer.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer briefly before adding the sweet potatoes. This ensures even cooking and crispiness from the start.
- Use a Light Coat of Oil: Do not fry canned sweet potatoes dry. Just a light coating of oil (usually a spray or brushing) is sufficient for air frying. Too much oil can make them soggy.
- Season Well: Be generous with your seasonings. Whether you prefer sweet or savory flavors, season the sweet potatoes with your favorite spices, herbs, and seasonings to enhance their taste.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Basket: Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and less crispy results. If you have a lot to cook, do it in batches.
- Shake or Flip: About halfway through the cooking time, shake the basket or flip the sweet potatoes to ensure they cook evenly on all sides. This helps achieve that crispy texture.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep a close eye on the cooking time, especially the first time you make them, as different air fryer models may cook at slightly different rates. Adjust the time if needed to prevent overcooking.
- Use a Cooking Spray: If you notice the sweet potatoes are drying out during cooking, you can lightly spray them with cooking oil or use an oil mister to add a touch of moisture and crispiness.
- Experiment with Temperature: Try different temperature settings within the recommended range for your air fryer. Higher temperatures typically produce a crispier texture, but you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Serve Hot: Air-fried canned sweet potatoes are best when served hot. Enjoy them immediately for the crispiest texture and maximum flavor.
Remember that canned sweet potatoes are already cooked, so your goal is to heat them through and achieve the desired crispiness and flavor with your chosen seasonings. With these pro tips, you can make delicious air-fried canned sweet potatoes that everyone will love.
How To Serve Canned Sweet Potatoes
Canned sweet potatoes are a convenient ingredient that can be served in various ways. Here are some ideas for serving canned sweet potatoes:
- As a Perfect Side Dish: Heat the canned sweet potatoes and serve them as a classic side dish. For a traditional sweet side dish, you can season them with butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Mash the canned sweet potatoes, with a potato masher, and mix with butter, brown sugar or maple syrup, and spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. This creates a creamy and sweet side dish.
- Sweet Potato Casserole: Use mashed canned sweet potatoes as a base for a sweet potato casserole. Top it with brown sugar, pecans, and mini marshmallows, then bake until golden and bubbly.
- Sweet Potato Pancakes or Waffles: Incorporate canned sweet potatoes into your pancake or waffle batter for a sweet and nutritious breakfast treat.
- Sweet Potato Soup: Blend canned sweet potatoes with broth, seasonings, and other vegetables to make a delicious sweet potato soup. Garnish with cream, croutons, or fresh herbs.
- Salads: Cube or slice canned sweet potatoes and add them to salads for a sweet and hearty element. They pair well with spinach, bacon, goat cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette.
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes: Scoop out the center of baked or microwaved canned sweet potatoes and stuff them with toppings like black beans, cheese, salsa, and avocado for a nutritious and flavorful meal.
- Sweet Potato Fries: Cut canned sweet potatoes into fry shapes, season them, and bake in the oven or air fryer until crispy for a healthier alternative to traditional fries.
- Sweet Potato Pies and Tarts: Use canned sweet potatoes to make a delicious pie or tart filling. Add spices, eggs, sugar, and milk to create a creamy and sweet dessert.
- Smoothies: Blend canned sweet potatoes with yogurt, milk, honey, and your favorite fruits for a nutritious and sweet smoothie.
- Stir-Fries: Add canned sweet potato chunks to stir-fries for a unique twist on this classic dish. They add sweetness and a satisfying texture.
- Toppings for Oatmeal or Porridge: Dice or mash canned sweet potatoes as a topping for your morning oatmeal or porridge.
- Baby Food: Blend canned sweet potatoes with water or milk to make homemade baby food.
- Sweet Potato Tacos: Fill tortillas with canned sweet potato cubes, black beans, salsa, and avocado for tasty vegetarian tacos.
- Desserts: Incorporate canned sweet potatoes into cakes, muffins, bread, and cookies for added moisture and flavor.
Remember that canned sweet potatoes are already cooked, so they can be used in recipes that require cooking or baking and served cold. Adjust the seasonings and flavors to your liking to create dishes that suit your taste preferences.
Can you air fry canned sweet potatoes? Yes, you can air fry canned sweet potatoes. While they are already cooked in the can, air frying them can give them a crispy exterior and enhance their flavor.
Do I need to rinse canned sweet potatoes before air frying? It’s a good idea to rinse canned sweet potatoes under cold running water to remove excess syrup or starch, but pat them dry before air frying to help achieve crispiness.
What temperature should I set my air fryer to for canned sweet potatoes? Preheat your air fryer to around 375°F (190°C) for best results. However, the exact temperature may vary depending on your air fryer model, so check your manufacturer’s instructions.
How long does it take to air fry canned sweet potatoes? The cook time for air frying canned sweet potatoes typically ranges from 8 to 12 minutes, depending on your air fryer’s temperature and the desired level of crispiness. Be sure to shake or flip them halfway through for even cooking.
What seasonings can I use for canned sweet potatoes in the air fryer? You can season canned sweet potatoes with various flavors, such as brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cayenne pepper for a spicy kick, or even savory seasonings like garlic powder and rosemary. Experiment to find your favorite combination.
Can I add additional ingredients to my air-fried canned sweet potatoes? You can add ingredients like melted butter, olive oil, chopped nuts, dried cranberries, or a drizzle of maple syrup for added flavor and texture.
Can I reheat canned sweet potatoes in the air fryer? Yes, you can use your air fryer to reheat canned sweet potatoes. Preheat the air fryer to a lower temperature (around 300°F or 150°C) and heat them for a few minutes until they’re warm.
How do I prevent canned sweet potatoes from sticking to the air fryer basket? To prevent sticking, coat the sweet potatoes with oil before air frying lightly. You can also use parchment paper or an air fryer liner to minimize sticking.
Can I make air-fried canned sweet potato fries? Yes, you can cut the canned sweet potatoes into fry-like shapes, season them, and air fry them for a delicious sweet potato fries experience.
What’s the best way to serve air-fried canned sweet potatoes? Air-fried canned sweet potatoes make a great side dish or even a dessert. Serve them hot and enjoy them with your favorite dipping sauce, sour cream, or favorite toppings.
How to store leftover sweet potatoes: Let the cooked sweet potatoes cool to room temperature, and then place them into an airtight container. They will last for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO FRIES
- AIR FRYER LOADED TATER TOTS
- EASY AIR FRYER SWEET POTATO CHIPS
- HOW TO MAKE EASY HASSELBACK POTATOES IN YOUR AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER OVEN GOLD RANCH POTATOES
- AIR FRYER SYRACUSE SALTED POTATOES
What Pan Can I Use?
I am frequently asked about the pan I usually use with my air fryer.
While I recommend that you find something around your house, and I usually use what I have on hand, I highly recommend this pan; I use it almost daily.
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Canned Sweet Potatoes
- 30 ounces sweet potatoes, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows, for topping, optional
- Drain the Sweet Potatoes: Open the can of sweet potatoes and drain out the liquid. Gently rinse the potatoes under cold water.
- Dry the Potatoes: Pat the sweet potatoes dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. This step is crucial for getting them crispy in the air fryer.
- Season the Sweet Potatoes: Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil or melted butter in a large bowl. Ensure they are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with salt and ground cinnamon to taste. If you’re using it, add brown sugar, black pepper, and other desired seasonings or herbs.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 380 degrees F (193°C) for 4-5 minutes. This helps in cooking them evenly.
- Arrange in the Air Fryer: Place the seasoned sweet potatoes in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Avoid overcrowding to ensure they cook evenly.
- Cook: Air fry the sweet potatoes at 380°F (193°C) for 10-15 minutes. Shake the basket or flip the potatoes halfway through the cooking time for even crisping.
- Check for Doneness: The sweet potatoes are done when they are tender inside and crispy on the outside. Cooking times may vary slightly depending on your air fryer model and the size of the sweet potato pieces.
- Serve: Serve the sweet potatoes hot as a side dish or a snack. They are great on their own or with a dip.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Small Bowl