Everyone uses ground beef, at least once per week in their cooking, I thought it was a great time to talk about how to purchase ground beef, what to look for and some pointers.
- Ground beef is actually a combination of beef cuts. It usually is a combination of chuck, round and sirloin. Some labels, at the grocery store, may include the cut of meat that is ground.
- Always purchase ground meat that is bright red. You can tell older ground meat by the color, if it is brown or gray, do not purchase it, as it indicates that it is older.
- For huge savings purchase a family pack of ground beef and then freeze some of the meat for later.
- Look for a tightly wrapped package of meat, avoid a package with loose plastic wrap or a tear.
Here are some guides for purchasing ground beef due to leanness:
- Not less than 73% lean-This is normal just labeled ground beef. This meat is good for chilis, soups, sloppy joes and pizzas.
- Not less than 80% lean-This meat is used best in meat loves, meatballs and hamburgers
- Not less than 85% lean-This is best used in casseroles
The most important thing to remember when using ground meat is that it is very versatile.
Kitchen Items Used: (Note: Affiliate links are included in this post)
Don’t Forget to Pin:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Start by placing your ground beef into the Instant Pot.
Press the saute button.
Cook until all of the meat is browned and then drain the fat.
Then add in the chopped celery, onions, peppers, add to the ground meat and saute for about another 2-3 minutes. Just enough so the vegetables get soft. Then mix in the garlic.
Meanwhile, make the sauce, mix together in a small bowl the ketchup, brown sugar, tomato paste, mustard, vinegar, chili powder, and Worcester sauce. Mix well in a small bowl.
Then add the sauce to the Instant Pot, mix well. Then add the water
Set the manual high-pressure time for 7 minutes. Do a quick release when the time is up.
Open the cover, mix well and then serve on hamburger rolls.
Plate, serve and enjoy!