Air Fryer Sloppy Joes — Sloppy Joes are a beloved classic that brings together flavorful ground meat, savory tomato sauce, and a touch of sweetness.
Imagine taking this timeless comfort food to the next level by making it in your trusty air fryer.
Air Fryer Sloppy Joes are the perfect combination of convenience, flavor, and that satisfyingly messy goodness we crave.
Today, we’ll dive into the art of creating these mouthwatering sandwiches that are quick, easy, and a hit with both kids and adults alike.
Whether you’re a busy parent looking for a speedy weeknight dinner option or a fan of hearty, saucy sandwiches, Air Fryer Sloppy Joes are about to become your new go-to recipe. Get ready to savor the nostalgia of this American classic with a modern twist, all thanks to the magic of your air fryer.
What Are Sloppy Joes?
Sloppy Joes are a classic American sandwich or burger consisting of seasoned ground meat, typically beef, cooked in a tomato-based sauce and served on a bun. The name “Sloppy Joe” is believed to have originated in the United States in the early 20th century, and the sandwich has since become a beloved comfort food staple.
The key components of a Sloppy Joe include:
- Ground Meat: Ground beef is the traditional choice, but ground turkey, pork, or a combination can also be used. The meat is typically browned in a skillet before being simmered in the sauce.
- Tomato-Based Sauce: The sauce for Sloppy Joes is typically made from tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup, and various seasonings. It’s often sweet and tangy with a hint of spices and can include brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.
- Seasonings: Sloppy Joes are seasoned with a mix of spices and flavorings that can vary by recipe but often include ingredients like onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and ground black pepper.
- Buns: The meat mixture is typically served on hamburgers or soft rolls. The buns are usually toasted or warmed before assembling the sandwich.
Sloppy Joes are called “sloppy” because the meat mixture is meant to be loose and saucy, making them messy to eat – hence the name. They are a popular dish for casual family meals, potlucks, and picnics, and they offer a comforting blend of savory and sweet flavors. Many variations of Sloppy Joes exist, with regional and personal preferences influencing the choice of ingredients and seasonings. It’s a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit various tastes, and it continues to be a beloved comfort food in American cuisine.
Can You Make Sloppy Joes In Air Fryer?
Yes, Sloppy Joes are traditionally made by simmering seasoned ground meat in a tomato-based sauce, typically involving a stovetop cooking method.
You can easily adapt this recipe to making in the air faster.
The BEST Homemade Air-Fried Sloppy Joes
The BEST Homemade Sloppy Joes made in the air fryer are a game-changer in the world of comfort food. These sandwiches combine the rich, hearty flavors of well-seasoned ground beef with a tangy and slightly sweet tomato sauce. The cooking method sets them apart – using an air fryer to prepare the meat mixture results in a perfectly cooked, tender, and incredibly flavorful filling.
One of the key advantages of making Sloppy Joes in the air fryer is the efficiency of the cooking process. The high heat and circulating air ensure the ground beef is cooked evenly and quickly while excess fat drips away, leaving you with a lean and delicious filling. Plus, you can enjoy that iconic Sloppy Joe taste without the mess, as the air fryer contains any potential spills. Whether you’re serving them up for a family dinner or a casual gathering, these air fryer Sloppy Joes will surely become a crowd-pleaser, offering a modern twist on a timeless favorite.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Sloppy Joes
Creating mouthwatering Air Fryer Sloppy Joes is about assembling the perfect ingredients to achieve a symphony of flavors and textures.
From the savory goodness of lean ground beef to the aromatic appeal of minced garlic and diced green bell pepper, each component is crucial in crafting the ultimate comfort food experience. Combined with a sweet and tangy tomato-based sauce and served in toasted hamburger buns, these ingredients create a satisfying, saucy, and slightly messy sandwich that’s perfect for any mealtime occasion.
Get ready to savor the classic flavors of Sloppy Joes, all made conveniently in your air fryer.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below, in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Ground Beef: Ground beef is the show’s star, providing the hearty, meaty base for Sloppy Joes. Opt for lean ground beef for a healthier option.
- Onion: Finely diced onion adds a savory and aromatic element to the Sloppy Joe mixture, enhancing its flavor.
- Green Bell Pepper: Chopped green bell pepper provides a subtle sweetness and crunch to the filling, along with a pop of color.
- Garlic: Minced garlic cloves bring the dish a rich and aromatic flavor.
- Ketchup: Ketchup serves as the tomato base for the sauce, offering a sweet and tangy element.
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato sauce adds a smooth and saucy consistency to the mixture, complementing the ketchup.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar provides a touch of sweetness, balancing the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Worcestershire sauce contributes a savory and umami-rich flavor to the Sloppy Joe sauce.
- Mustard: A dollop lends a tangy and slightly spicy kick to the mixture.
- Chili Powder: Chili powder adds warmth and complexity to the overall flavor profile.
- Salt and Pepper: Season with salt and pepper to taste, enhancing the savory elements of the Sloppy Joes.
- Hamburger Buns: Hamburger buns or rolls are the vessels for holding the delicious Sloppy Joe filling.
How To Make Sloppy Joes In Air Fryer
Making Air Fryer Sloppy Joes is a convenient and delicious way to enjoy this classic comfort food. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make them:
Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C). Cook the Ground Beef: Place the ground beef into the air fryer basket, and cook the lean ground beef until it’s browned and crumbled. Drain any excess fat.
Add Vegetables: Add the finely chopped onion, green bell pepper, and minced garlic to the cooked beef.
Prepare the Sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Pour this sauce mixture over the cooked beef and vegetables in a large bowl.
Air Fry: Return the ground beef mixture to the air fryer and cook for 5-10 minutes at 330 degrees F, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and coats the meat and vegetables.
Toast the Buns: While the Sloppy Joe mixture is simmering, place the hamburger buns in the air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray. Toast them for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden and crispy.
Assemble: Spoon a generous portion of the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the bottom half of each toasted bun. Top with the other half of the bun.
Serve: Serve the Air Fryer Sloppy Joes immediately while hot and saucy.
Enjoy: Enjoy your delicious homemade Sloppy Joes with your favorite side dishes or accompaniments.
These Air Fryer Sloppy Joes quickly make and offer the classic flavors everyone loves. They’re perfect for a family dinner or a casual gathering, and the air fryer adds a convenient twist to this timeless comfort food.
There are several creative recipe variations and ways to customize your Air Fryer Sloppy Joes to suit your taste preferences. Here are some delicious ideas:
- Cheesy Sloppy Joes: Add a layer of shredded cheddar or melted American cheese on top of the Sloppy Joe mixture inside the bun. Place the assembled sandwich in the air fryer for a minute or two to melt the cheese for an extra gooey and cheesy experience.
- Spicy Sloppy Joes: If you enjoy a bit of heat, add diced jalapeños, crushed red pepper flakes, or hot sauce to the Sloppy Joe sauce mixture. Adjust the level of spiciness to your liking.
- Vegetarian Sloppy Joes: Replace ground beef with plant-based ground meat or crumbled tofu for a vegetarian or vegan version. Use vegetable broth or tomato sauce for the sauce base, and add plenty of diced vegetables for texture and flavor.
- Mushroom Sloppy Joes: Incorporate sautéed mushrooms into the Sloppy Joe mixture for a savory, umami-rich twist. Mushrooms can add depth and meatiness to the flavor.
- BBQ Sloppy Joes: Substitute some or all of the ketchup in the sauce with your favorite barbecue sauce for a smoky and tangy Sloppy Joe variation.
- Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes: Add taco seasoning to the ground beef, including black beans, corn, and diced tomatoes with green chilies for a Tex-Mex-inspired Sloppy Joe filling. Top with shredded Mexican cheese and fresh cilantro.
- Sloppy Joe Sliders: Use smaller slider buns to make mini Sloppy Joes for parties or gatherings. They’re perfect bite-sized treats.
- Sweet and Tangy Sloppy Joes: Experiment with sweeteners like honey, molasses, or maple syrup to create unique sweetness in your Sloppy Joe sauce.
- Asian-Inspired Sloppy Joes: Infuse some Asian flavors by adding soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and a touch of sesame oil to the sauce. Top with chopped scallions and sesame seeds for garnish.
- Low-Carb Sloppy Joes: Serve the Sloppy Joe filling in lettuce cups or on a bed of cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
Feel free to mix and match these variations or come up with your own creative ideas to make Air Fryer Sloppy Joes that suit your taste buds. The beauty of this classic dish is its versatility, so don’t hesitate to get creative in the kitchen.
To elevate your Air Fryer Sloppy Joes and ensure they turn out perfectly every time, consider these pro tips:
- Choose Lean Ground Meat: Opt for lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken to minimize excess fat—lean meat results in a less greasy filling.
- Sauté Vegetables First: Before adding the sauce, sauté onions, bell peppers, and garlic in the skillet until they’re soft and aromatic. This enhances the flavor and texture of the filling.
- Drain Excess Fat: If your ground meat releases excess fat during cooking, drain it before adding the sauce. This step helps keep the Sloppy Joes from becoming overly greasy.
- Balanced Seasoning: Taste the Sloppy Joe mixture and adjust the seasonings accordingly. Add more salt, pepper, or spices to achieve the perfect balance of flavors.
- Simmer for Flavor: Allow the Sloppy Joe mixture 10-15 minutes to simmer. This simmering time helps meld the flavors together and reduces excess moisture, resulting in a thicker and richer sauce.
- Toast the Buns Just Right: Toast the hamburger buns in the air fryer or a toaster until they’re slightly crispy but not overly browned. This step prevents them from becoming too crunchy or falling apart when you assemble the sandwiches.
- Melt Cheese Perfectly: If you’re adding cheese, place it on top of the Sloppy Joe mixture while it’s still hot, and then use the air fryer to melt it for a short time, just until it’s gooey and irresistible.
- Serve with Pickles: Traditional accompaniments like dill pickle slices or pickled jalapeños provide a tangy contrast to the savory Sloppy Joes. Consider serving them on the side.
- Prevent Sogginess: If you plan to make Sloppy Joes ahead of time, store the filling and buns separately to prevent the buns from becoming soggy.
- Customize Toppings: Offer a variety of toppings like lettuce, tomato slices, red onion, or coleslaw for diners to customize their sandwiches.
- Use a Sloppy Joe Server: If you often make Sloppy Joes, consider investing in a server with compartments to keep the bun and filling separate until you’re ready to assemble and enjoy. This can be especially handy for parties or gatherings.
By following these pro tips, you’ll master the art of making delicious and satisfying Air Fryer Sloppy Joes that are a hit with family and friends.
Can I use other ground meats besides beef for Sloppy Joes in the air fryer? You can use ground turkey, chicken, pork, or plant-based meat substitutes to make Sloppy Joes in the air fryer. Adjust the cooking time as needed based on the meat you choose.
How do I prevent the Sloppy Joe mixture from becoming too watery? To prevent excess moisture in the mixture, thoroughly cook and drain the ground meat before adding the sauce. Simmer the mixture long enough to thicken, and use lean ground meat to reduce fat content.
Can I make Sloppy Joes in advance and reheat them in the air fryer? Yes, you can prepare the Sloppy Joe mixture in advance and store it in the refrigerator. Reheat it in the air fryer at a lower temperature to avoid overcooking. You may need to add water or sauce to refresh the mixture.
What can I do if the buns become too crispy in the air fryer? Be cautious with the toasting time in the air fryer to prevent the buns from becoming overly crispy. It’s best to check on them frequently and remove them once they reach your desired level of crispiness.
Can I freeze leftover Sloppy Joe filling? Yes, you can freeze leftover Sloppy Joe filling in an airtight container for up to three months. Thaw it in the refrigerator before reheating it in the air fryer or stovetop.
Can I make Sloppy Joes in an air fryer oven or toaster oven? You can use an air fryer or toaster oven to make Sloppy Joes. Follow the same cooking principles as in a traditional air fryer, adjusting the temperature and cooking time as needed.
What side dishes go well with Air Fryer Sloppy Joes? Common side dishes to serve with Sloppy Joes include coleslaw, potato chips, french fries, pickles, or a fresh green salad. You can also add corn or baked beans on the cob for a complete meal.
Can I make Sloppy Joes with a vegetarian or vegan twist in the air fryer? Yes, you can use plant-based ground meat or tofu crumbles, vegan sauces, and seasonings to create vegetarian or vegan Sloppy Joes in the air fryer.
Can I customize the level of spiciness in Sloppy Joes? Absolutely! Adjust the level of spiciness by adding more or less chili powder, jalapeños, or hot sauce to suit your taste preferences.
Are Sloppy Joes suitable for freezing and reheating? Yes, you can freeze leftover Sloppy Joes for future use. Store the filling separately from the buns, and thaw and reheat as needed.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER CANDIED PECANS
- EASY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
- HOW TO MAKE EASY HASSELBACK POTATOES IN YOUR AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER HAWAIIAN PIZZA FLATBREAD
- BLACKSTONE GRIDDLE SALSA CORN CAKES
- AIR FRYER CHINESE SPARE RIBS
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Air Fryer Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hamburger buns
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the ground beef into the air fryer basket, and cook the lean ground beef until it’s browned and crumbled. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the finely chopped onion, green bell pepper, and minced garlic to the cooked beef.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Pour this sauce mixture over the cooked beef and vegetables in a large bowl.
- Return the ground beef mixture to the air fryer and cook for 5-10 minutes at 330 degrees F, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and coats the meat and vegetables.
- While the Sloppy Joe mixture is simmering, place the hamburger buns in the air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray. Toast them for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden and crispy.
- Spoon a generous portion of the Sloppy Joe mixture onto the bottom half of each toasted bun. Top with the other half of the bun.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional