Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes is a great sandwich, filled with lean ground beef, diced onions, BBQ sauce, and of course served on a Brioche Roll with a healthy topping of dill pickles. It’s amazing!
This is true comfort food at its finest, and it combines BBQ flavors with Tex-Mex flavors. I love making a hot serving of Sloppy Joes in my Instant Pot. They make for a great and hearty lunch. One meal that the entire family can agree with is amazing.
My mother made the same recipe. Today I altered it for the Instant Pot, but you still get the all-day simmering taste. Just in under 20 minutes.
If you are looking for other great and easy Instant Pot Meals, some of my favorites are INSTANT POT CRAB LEGS, INSTANT POT-STEAMED CLAMS IN WHITE WINE SAUCE, INSTANT POT-LEMON ROASTED SALMON, and INSTANT POT CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE.
Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes Ingredients
- Ground Beef: I recommend that you use lean ground beef, this way, you have lean sloppy joe. I used 93% lean; I would not use anything lower than 90% lean. Otherwise, you will have a really fatty dish.
- Onions: I added some diced onions to give the dish some texture.
- Ketchup/BBQ Sauce: I added both to really add the deep flavors of the BBQ sauce. Both give the dish a great depth of flavor.
- Ancho Chili Powder: I could have added many spices, but I had this seasoning from some of my other dishes, and my son loves it. If you have never used it, pick it up the next time you are at the grocery store. The Ancho Chili Powder is a combination of ancho chile powder and gives the dish a smoky chili with medium heat.
How To Make Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes
Add the ground beef and diced onions to the Instant Pot Bowl, brown the meat by pressing the Instant Pot’s saute button. Saute until the meat is fully cooked.
Once the meat is fully browned, add the ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Ancho Chili Powder. Mix well, then add your lid, set the manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the time is up, do a quick release.
Serve on top of a roll and add some dill pickles slices in between the sandwich.
Some Common Questions Asked About Making Instant Pot Sloppy Joes-
Can I Use frozen ground beef?
Absolutely, as you saute the meat, it will thaw, and you will still get the great taste of the sloppy joes.
My advice would be to wait until the ground beef is almost fully browned before adding the onions and then saute the onions for a couple of minutes. Otherwise, the onions will burn.
Why did I get a BURN message?
The Burn message on the Instant Pot only means that something has settled at the bottom and has stuck to the bowl.
When you mix everything to add the sauce and spices, make sure to really mix the ground beef and onions, this way, if there is a piece of meat or onion stuck to the bottom, it will come off as you mix.
How to serve sloppy joes
Today, since I made a BBQ sloppy joe, I added pickles, but you do not need to do that. There are so many ways to add a special touch. Some of my favorites are:
- Sliced Cheese
- Bacon Bits or Whole Bacon Slices
- Pepper Rings
Storing / freezing
This is a great meal to prep ahead of time; I usually let it cool to room temperature and then place it into an airtight container. Then when I want a sloppy joe sandwich, I reheat the meat.
If you want to freeze the sloppy joe meat, just let it cool to room temperature and then place it into an airtight container or freezer bag. Then place into the freezer. It will last about 2 to 3 months.
To use frozen: I usually place the frozen sloppy joes from the freezer to the refrigerator the night before using them. Then reheat and make your sloppy joe sandwiches.
Some Great Side Dishes for Instant Pot Sloppy Joes:
- INSTANT POT CORN ON THE COB
- AIR FRYER CORN ON THE COB
- HOMEMADE CHICK-FIL-A COPYCAT COLESLAW RECIPE
- AIR FRYER SPICY FRENCH FRIES
- 1 pound ground meat, lean
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
- Dill Pickle Slices
- Brioche or Potato Buns
- Add the ground beef and diced onions to the Instant Pot Bowl, brown the meat by pressing the Instant Pot's saute button. Saute until the meat is fully cooked.
- Once the meat is fully browned, add the ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Ancho Chili Powder. Mix well, then add your lid, set the manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the time is up do a quick release.
- Serve on top of a roll and add some dill pickle slices in between the sandwich.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1085Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 254mgSodium: 2325mgCarbohydrates: 95gFiber: 4gSugar: 57gProtein: 70g