Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes is a great sandwich, filled with lean ground beef, diced onions, BBQ sauce, and of course, served on a Brioche Roll with a healthy topping of dill pickles. It’s amazing!
This comfort food is at its finest, combining BBQ and Tex-Mex flavors. I love making a hot serving of Sloppy Joes in my Instant Pot. They make for a great and hearty lunch. One meal that the entire family can agree with is amazing.
My mother made the same recipe. Today I altered it for the Instant Pot, but you still get the all-day simmering taste just in under 20 minutes.
If you are looking for other great and easy Instant Pot Meals, some of my favorites are INSTANT POT CRAB LEGS.
The Best Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes Recipe
What’s better than a warm, delicious, comforting meal on a chilly night? How about one that requires minimal effort to make? If you love BBQ Sloppy Joes but don’t have hours to spend in the kitchen, this Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes recipe is perfect for you!
A flavorful combination of ground beef and tangy homemade barbecue sauce creates juicy layers of taste made easily by utilizing an Instant Pot. Speed up mealtime preparation with your family’s new go-to favorite – perfectly cooked, saucy BBQ Sloppy Joe sandwiches created using just one pot. Let’s get cooking!
Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes Ingredients
Are you looking for a quick and easy way to make a delicious family dinner? Look no further than Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes!
The real game-changer is that the entire meal can be cooked in your Instant Pot in minutes for an incredibly tasty weeknight meal with everyone asking for seconds. Keep reading to learn more about what ingredients you’ll need to make these drool-worthy sandwiches!
Remember the step-by-step and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Ground Beef: I recommend using lean ground beef; this way, you have lean sloppy joe. I used 93% lean; I would not use anything lower than 90% lean. Otherwise, you will have a really fatty dish.
- Onions: I added some diced onions to give the dish some texture.
- Ketchup/BBQ Sauce: I added both to really add the deep flavors of the BBQ sauce. Both give the dish a great depth of flavor.
- Ancho Chili Powder: I could have added many spices, but I had this seasoning from some of my other dishes, and my son loves it. If you have never used it, pick it up the next time you are at the grocery store. The Ancho Chili Powder combines ancho chile powder and gives the dish a smoky chili with medium heat.
How To Make Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes
Calling all BBQ lovers: you’re about to hit the jackpot with this Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joe recipe! This lip-smacking dish is so easy to make it’ll become a go-to in your family’s dinner rotation.
It requires minimal ingredients and fuss – combine everything into one pot and let it do its thing until perfectly warm & flavorful. Serve over hamburger buns or enjoy in a wrap for unforgettable sloppy joe deliciousness! To top off what could be an incredibly enjoyable cooking experience, clean-up is practically a breeze. Let’s get started on this tasty meal!
Add the ground beef and diced onions to the Instant Pot Bowl, and brown the meat by pressing the Instant Pot’s saute button. Saute until the meat is fully cooked.
Once the meat is fully browned, add the ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Ancho Chili Powder. Mix well, then add your lid, and set the manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the time is up, do a quick release.
Serve on top of a roll, and add some dill pickles slices in between the sandwich.
Pro Tips For Making Sloppy Joes In Instant Pot
Making Sloppy Joes in an Instant Pot is a quick and convenient way to enjoy this classic comfort food. Here are some pro tips to help you make delicious Sloppy Joes using your Instant Pot:
- Sauté the aromatics: Set your Instant Pot to “Sauté” mode and heat some oil. Add diced onions, garlic, and any other desired aromatics like bell peppers or celery. Sauté until the onions are translucent and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Brown the ground meat: Add ground beef or any other ground meat of your choice to the Instant Pot. Break up the meat with a spoon and cook until it’s nicely browned. Make sure to drain any excess fat if necessary.
- Add the sauce ingredients: Once the meat is browned, add the sauce ingredients to the Instant Pot. This typically includes ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, and various seasonings like chili powder, paprika, or cumin. Adjust the flavors to your taste preferences.
- Mix well and deglaze the pot: Stir all the ingredients together to ensure they’re well combined. Use a wooden spoon to scrape off any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Deglazing the pot will prevent the “burn” error and improve the flavor of your Sloppy Joes.
- Pressure cook: Secure the lid on your Instant Pot and ensure the pressure valve is set to the sealing position. Select the “Manual” or “Pressure Cook” mode and set the cooking time to 8-10 minutes. It’s best to consult your Instant Pot’s manual for specific instructions based on your model.
- Natural release or quick release: Once the cooking time is up, you can either allow for a natural pressure release (NPR) or perform a quick pressure release (QPR) by carefully turning the pressure valve to the venting position. Be cautious of the hot steam.
- Thicken the sauce: If it is too thin, you can thicken it by selecting the “Sauté” mode again and simmering the mixture until it reaches the desired consistency. You can also add a cornstarch slurry (cornstarch mixed with water) and stir until the sauce thickens.
- Serve and enjoy: Spoon the Sloppy Joe mixture onto your favorite buns or rolls. For added flavor and crunch, you can top them with cheese, pickles, or coleslaw.
Remember to adjust the ingredient quantities based on the number of servings you want to make. The cooking time may also vary depending on the thickness of the sauce and the specific settings of your Instant Pot model.
Frequently Asked Questions About Sloppy Joes In Instant Pot
Can I Use frozen ground beef?
Absolutely, as you saute the meat, it will thaw, and you will still get the great taste of the sloppy joes.
I advise waiting until the ground beef is almost entirely browned before adding the onions and then sauteing the onions for a couple of minutes. Otherwise, the onions will burn.
Why did I get a BURN message?
The Burn message on the Instant Pot only means that something has settled at the bottom and has stuck to the bowl.
When you mix everything to add the sauce and spices, make sure to really mix the ground beef and onions; this way, if a piece of meat or onion is stuck to the bottom, it will come off as you mix.
How to serve sloppy joes
Today, since I made a BBQ sloppy joe, I added pickles, but you do not need to do that. There are so many ways to add a special touch. Some of my favorites are:
- Sliced Cheese
- Bacon Bits or Whole Bacon Slices
- Pepper Rings
Storing / Freezing
This is a great meal to prep ahead of time; I usually let it cool to room temperature and then place it into an airtight container. Then when I want a sloppy joe sandwich, I reheat the meat.
If you want to freeze the sloppy joe meat, just let it cool to room temperature and place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Then place it into the freezer. It will last about 2 to 3 months.
To use frozen: I usually place the frozen sloppy joes from the freezer in the refrigerator the night before using them. Then reheat and make your sloppy joe sandwiches.
What To Serve With Barbecue Sloppy Joes Recipe
Instant Pot BBQ Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground beef, lean
- 1/2 cup white onions, diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Ancho Chili Powder
- 4 Brioche Buns, or Hamburger Rolls
- 8 slices dill pickle
- Add the ground beef and diced onions to the Instant Pot Bowl, brown the meat by pressing the Instant Pot's saute button. Saute until the meat is fully cooked.
- Once the meat is fully browned, add the ketchup, BBQ sauce, and Ancho Chili Powder. Mix well, then add your lid, set the manual high pressure for 10 minutes. When the time is up do a quick release.
- Serve on top of a roll and add some dill pickle slices in between the sandwich.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Instant Pot