Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts — Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with our Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts recipe!
This simple yet sophisticated dish brings out the best in artichokes, offering a crispy, flavorful experience effortlessly prepared in your air fryer.
Whether you’re a fan of artichokes or simply seeking a unique and delectable snack, these crispy bites will tantalize your taste buds. Perfectly seasoned and air-fried to golden perfection, they make a delightful appetizer or finger food for any occasion. Get ready to savor each delightful crunch as you dive into the world of Crispy Air Fried Artichoke Hearts – a snack that’s as fun to make as it is to eat!
What Are Artichoke Hearts?
Artichoke hearts are a culinary delicacy derived from the artichoke plant (Cynara cardunculus var. scolymus). These hearts are the tender, meaty, and edible portions found at the center of the artichoke, nestled between the innermost leaves and the inedible choke, a fuzzy and spiky structure surrounding the heart.
Artichoke hearts have a mild, slightly nutty flavor with a tender, delicate texture. They are prized for their unique taste and are used in various culinary applications, from appetizers and salads to main dishes and dips.
If you love artichokes, this is the perfect recipe for you! The hot air perfectly cooked these breaded artichokes.
Can You Cook Artichoke Hearts In Air Fryer?
Yes, you can cook artichoke hearts in an air fryer! Air frying is a fantastic way to achieve a crispy and delicious result, whether fresh or canned artichoke hearts. Below is our fool-proof recipe for the best Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts.
If you are looking for more EASY Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER BLOOMING ONION, AIR FRYER QUESO (MEXICAN CHEESE DIP), AIR FRYER LASAGNA EGG ROLLS, or AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS WITH BUFFALO SAUCE.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts
You will love this recipe if you are a fan of artichoke hearts! You can have a delicious side dish or a perfect appetizer with simple ingredients.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Artichoke Hearts: The star of the dish, artichoke hearts provide a tender, slightly nutty flavor with a delightful texture, perfect for air frying.
- Egg: Whisked eggs are a binding agent to help the breadcrumb coating adhere to the artichoke hearts during cooking.
- Milk: Milk is often combined with eggs to create an egg wash, which aids in the adhesion of the breadcrumb coating.
- Granulated Sugar: A touch of granulated sugar can be used in the breadcrumb coating to add a subtle sweetness that complements the savory flavors.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: Panko breadcrumbs are known for their light and crispy texture, making them an ideal choice for creating a crunchy coating on the artichoke hearts.
- Italian Bread Crumbs: Italian breadcrumbs typically contain herbs and seasonings, adding extra flavor to the coating.
- Garlic Powder: Garlic powder infuses the breadcrumb coating with a savory and aromatic garlic flavor, enhancing the dish’s overall taste.
- Cooking Spray: Cooking spray is applied to the artichoke hearts before air frying to help achieve a crispy and golden exterior without excess oil.
- Favorite Dipping Sauce: Served with sour cream, Garlic Aioil dip, lemon juice, or wedges.
How To Cook Crispy Air Fryer Artichoke Hearts
Making crispy artichoke hearts in an air fryer is a simple and delicious process. Here’s a step-by-step guide; the detailed instructions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Prepare the Artichoke Hearts:
- If using canned or jarred artichoke hearts, drain them and rinse under cold water. Pat them thoroughly dry with a paper towel. If using fresh artichokes, trim them, remove the outer leaves, and cut them into halves or quarters.
- Ensure the artichoke hearts are as dry as possible, as excess moisture can prevent them from becoming crispy.
- In a small bowl, make the breading, mix the bread crumbs, panko, and garlic powder, and mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Then, dip the artichokes into the milk mixture. Let the milk mixture drip off naturally of the artichoke hearts.
- Then, roll the artichoke hearts into the panko/breadcrumb mixture. Use your hands to pat the coating down. Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray. As you coat the artichokes, place them into the basket, spray the coating GENEROUSLY with cooking spray.
- Set the temperature to 375 degrees F, air the fryer setting, set the cooking time for 8-10 minutes, flipping about halfway through, and spray the artichoke coating with cooking spray again.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Exploring different recipe variations with air fryer artichoke hearts can bring a delightful range of flavors. Here are some creative twists to try:
- Parmesan & Garlic Artichoke Hearts: Toss the artichoke hearts with minced garlic and grated Parmesan cheese before air frying. This adds a savory, cheesy flavor that’s hard to resist.
- Lemon & Herb Seasoning: Marinate the artichoke hearts in lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs like rosemary or thyme. This gives a refreshing, tangy flavor.
- Spicy Artichoke Hearts: For a spicy kick, sprinkle the artichokes with red pepper flakes or toss them with hot sauce before cooking.
- Breaded Artichoke Hearts: Dip the hearts in beaten egg, then coat them with seasoned breadcrumbs or almond flour for a crispy, crunchy texture.
- Mediterranean Style: Marinate the artichokes in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and Italian seasoning for a Mediterranean twist.
- Bacon-Wrapped Artichoke Hearts: Wrap each heart with a strip of bacon and secure it with a toothpick. The bacon adds a smoky, savory depth.
- Pesto Artichoke Hearts: Brush the artichokes with basil pesto before or after air frying for a rich, herby flavor.
- Honey Mustard Glaze: Mix honey and Dijon mustard, and brush this glaze over the artichoke hearts for a sweet and tangy finish.
- Creamy Dip Accompaniment: Serve the air-fried artichoke hearts with a creamy dip like aioli, tzatziki, or a yogurt-based sauce for added flavor.
- Cajun Seasoned: Sprinkle seasoning on the artichoke hearts for a spicy, flavorful twist that packs a punch.
Each of these variations can bring a new dimension to the air-fried artichoke hearts, making them a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit various tastes and occasions. Whether as a side dish, appetizer, or snack, these flavorful ideas will impress.
Air frying artichoke hearts is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy this vegetable. Here are some pro tips to ensure they turn out perfectly:
- Preparation: Start by rinsing the artichoke hearts in cold water to remove brine or preservatives if they are canned or jarred. If using fresh artichokes, trim and remove the outer leaves and cut them into halves or quarters, depending on size.
- Pat Dry: Make sure to pat the artichoke hearts dry thoroughly. Excess moisture can prevent them from getting crispy in the air fryer.
- Seasoning: Toss the artichoke hearts with olive oil and your favorite seasonings. Common options include garlic powder, salt, pepper, lemon zest, or Italian seasoning. A light coating is sufficient.
- Arrangement in the Air Fryer: Arrange the artichoke hearts in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Avoid overcrowding to ensure they cook evenly and get crispy.
- Cooking Temperature and Time: Cook them at a medium-high temperature, around 375°F (190°C). The cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer and the size of the artichoke hearts, but it typically takes about 10-15 minutes. Halfway through, shake the basket or turn the hearts over for even cooking.
- Crispiness Check: Check for doneness towards the end of cooking. The edges should be golden and crispy. If they aren’t crispy enough, cook for a few additional minutes.
- Post-Cooking: Once done, let them rest for a couple of minutes as they will continue to crisp up.
- Serving: Serve them hot as a snack or side dish. They pair well with dipping sauces like aioli, ranch, or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Remember, every air fryer is a bit different, so the first time you make them, keep an eye on the artichokes to ensure they don’t overcook. Once you know how they cook in your specific air fryer, you can adjust the time and temperature accordingly in future preparations.
Can I use canned or frozen artichoke hearts in an air fryer? Yes, canned and frozen artichoke hearts can be used in an air fryer. Ensure canned hearts are drained, patted dry, and frozen hearts are thawed and dried to remove excess moisture.
Is Artichokes healthy? They contain various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, phosphorus, and magnesium. These nutrients are vital in bone health, red blood cell formation, metabolism, and more.
Do I need to oil the artichoke hearts before air frying? A light coating of oil helps to crisp them up and add flavor. However, too much oil can make them soggy, so use it sparingly.
What temperature is best for air frying artichoke hearts? A medium-high temperature, around 375°F (190°C), is typically ideal for getting them crispy without burning.
How long should I air fry artichoke hearts? It usually takes about 10-15 minutes, but this can vary based on the air fryer and the size of the artichoke hearts. Check them halfway through cooking and adjust the time as needed.
How do I know when artichoke hearts are done in the air fryer? They’re done when the edges are golden and crispy. It’s better to check a few minutes early to prevent overcooking.
Can I stack artichoke hearts in the air fryer? For the best results, arrange them in a single layer. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking and less crispiness.
What seasonings work well with air-fried artichoke hearts? Garlic powder, salt, pepper, lemon zest, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese are popular. Experiment to find your favorite combination.
Is preheating the air fryer necessary? While not always necessary, preheating can help achieve a more even and faster cook.
Can I make artichoke hearts crispy without an air fryer? You can roast them in a conventional oven, though the texture may differ slightly from air frying.
How to store leftover artichoke hearts: Let the cooked artichoke hearts cool to room temperature, and then place them into an airtight container. The artichoke hearts will last for 2-3 days.
Are air-fried artichoke hearts healthy? Yes, they are a healthier option than deep-frying as they require less oil.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER CORN ON THE COB
- AIR FRYER FROZEN VEGGIE BURGERS
- EASY AIR FRYER SUN-DRIED TOMATOES
- AIR FRYER PARMESAN DILL PICKLE CHIPS
- AIR FRYER GREEN BEAN FRIES
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Crispy Air Fried Artichoke Hearts
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 14.5 ounces artichoke hearts, canned or fresh
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, make the breading, mix the bread crumbs, panko, and garlic powder, mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. Then dip the artichokes into the milk mixture. Let the milk mixture drip off naturally of the artichoke hearts.
- Then roll the artichoke hearts into the panko/breadcrumb mixture. Use your hands to pat the coating down. Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray. As you coat the artichokes, place them into the basket, spray the coating GENEROUSLY with cooking spray.
- Set the temperature to 375 degrees F, air fryer setting for 8-10 minutes, flipping, about halfway through, and spraying the artichoke coating with cooking spray again.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper