Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Shrimp –Calling all seafood lovers: this air fryer salt and pepper shrimp recipe will surely have you returning for more!
This deliciously easy-to-make dish will be ready in just about 10 minutes, giving you the perfect opportunity to create a flavorful meal that’s sure to please.
We know that sourcing fresh ingredients can make cooking difficult, but with only five simple ingredients from your pantry and fridge, this dish brings flavor and convenience straight to your kitchen table.
Spend five minutes prepping and let the air fryer do the rest while you take time out for yourself. Let’s dive into making salty-sweet air fryer Salt and Pepper Shrimp hits!
Best Salt and Pepper Shrimp Recipe Air Fryer
Get ready to tantalize your taste buds with our sensational Salt and Pepper Shrimp recipe cooked to perfection in the air fryer!
Brace yourself for a delightful culinary adventure as we take succulent shrimp, coat them with a flavorful blend of salt, pepper, and aromatic spices, and transform them into irresistibly crispy bites. Follow along as we share the step-by-step process to achieve a dish that’s easy to make and bursting with savory goodness.
Your air fryer is about to become your new favorite tool for creating restaurant-quality seafood delights in your kitchen. Let’s dive into the magic of flavor and crunch!
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Shrimp
Are you looking for an easy and delicious dinner recipe for the whole family wanting seconds? Look no further than this air fryer salt and pepper shrimp! This scrumptious dish takes just minutes to make, and it’s sure to be a hit with its crisp coating, juicy shrimp, and mouthwatering seasoning.
All that’s left is gathering the ingredients needed for your Salt & Pepper Shrimp and then firing up the air fryer – so get ready to experience restaurant-quality seafood right in your kitchen!
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post, as well as the nutritional information.
- Shrimp: Fresh or frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp with tails left on for presentation.
- Cornstarch coats the shrimp and creates a light, crispy texture.
- Salt: To enhance the shrimp’s natural flavors.
- Black Pepper: Adds a mild heat and depth of flavor.
- Garlic Powder: Imparts a savory and aromatic element to the dish.
- Onion Powder: Provides a subtle onion flavor.
- Paprika: Adds a touch of smokiness and color.
- Cayenne Pepper (Optional): Cayenne pepper can be added to taste for those who enjoy some heat.
- Cooking Oil: A neutral oil like vegetable or canola oil used to coat the shrimp for air frying.
How To Make Salt & Pepper Shrimp In Air Fryer
Are you looking for an easy and delicious way to spice up your dinner this week? Look no further than air fryer salt & pepper shrimp! Not only does this recipe come together in just minutes, but the result is a wonderfully flavorful seafood dish that will impress. Combining crunchy fried shrimp and aromatics like garlic, onion, ginger, peppers, and spices creates a tasty morsel that can be enjoyed as an appetizer or main course.
Plus, with the help of your trusty air fryer, it’s a quick and healthy way to turn any ordinary meal into something special!
Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 375 degrees F (190°C) for 3-5 minutes.
Prepare the Shrimp: Thaw them according to package instructions if using frozen shrimp. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
Coat with Cornstarch: Lightly coat the shrimp with cornstarch in a bowl. This helps create a crispy texture when air-fried.
Season the Shrimp: In a separate bowl, combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix the seasoning well.
Toss in Seasoning: Add the cornstarch-coated shrimp to the seasoning mixture. Toss the shrimp to ensure they are evenly coated with the spices.
Add Cooking Oil: Drizzle some cooking oil over the seasoned shrimp and toss to coat. The oil helps promote crispiness.
Arrange in Air Fryer: Place the seasoned shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You may need to cook them in batches to avoid overcrowding.
Air Fry the Shrimp: Cook the shrimp in the air fryer for about 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking. The shrimp should turn pink, opaque, and crispy on the outside.
Check for Doneness: To make sure the shrimp are fully cooked cut one open to ensure it’s no longer translucent in the center. The internal temperature of shrimp should reach 145°F (63°C).
Pro Tips For Making Salt & Black Pepper Shrimp In Air Fryer
Here are some pro tips to ensure your Salt & Pepper Shrimp in the air fryer turns out perfectly crispy and bursting with flavor:
- Dry the Shrimp: Pat the shrimp completely dry with paper towels before coating them with cornstarch. Excess moisture can prevent the shrimp from getting crispy.
- Even Coating: Make sure each shrimp is coated evenly with cornstarch and seasoning. This ensures uniform flavor and texture.
- Use High-Quality Shrimp: Fresh or good-quality frozen shrimp will yield the best results. Look for shrimp that are firm and have a natural color.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheating is crucial for achieving crispy results. Allow the air fryer to heat up for a few minutes before adding the shrimp.
- Don’t Overcrowd: Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket, leaving some space between them. Overcrowding can lead to uneven cooking.
- Shake the Basket: Shake the air fryer basket halfway through cooking to ensure even browning on all sides of the shrimp.
- Monitor Cooking Time: Keep a close eye on the shrimp, as cooking times can vary depending on the size of the shrimp and the air fryer model.
- Use a Thermometer: To ensure the shrimp are cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. They should reach 145°F (63°C).
- Add a Squeeze of Lemon: For a burst of freshness, squeeze some lemon juice over the cooked shrimp before serving. The citrusy tang complements the flavors well.
- Garnish Creatively: Elevate the presentation by garnishing with chopped fresh herbs like parsley, chives, or cilantro.
- Serve Immediately: Shrimp are best enjoyed right after cooking to maintain their crispy texture.
- Dipping Sauces: Serve the shrimp with dipping sauces like sweet chili sauce, aioli, or a zesty cocktail sauce for added flavor.
- Experiment with Spice: Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to control the heat level. You can also add a pinch of spices like cumin or paprika for a twist.
With these pro tips, you’ll master creating irresistibly crispy and flavorful Salt & Pepper Shrimp in the air fryer.
Can I use frozen shrimp for this recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen shrimp, but it’s important to thaw them before cooking. Thaw shrimp in the refrigerator or under cold running water, then pat them dry before proceeding with the recipe.
What size shrimp should I use?
You can use any size of shrimp you prefer. Larger shrimp might require a slightly longer cooking time, while smaller shrimp will cook more quickly.
Can I use other types of seafood for this recipe?
This seasoning blend can also work well with other seafood like scallops, calamari, or even fish fillets. Adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I use a different type of oil?
While neutral oils like vegetable or canola oil work best, you can experiment with other oils like olive oil. Keep in mind that some oils have a stronger flavor.
Can I omit the cayenne pepper for a milder version?
Absolutely; the cayenne pepper adds heat, so feel free to omit it if you prefer a milder flavor profile.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes, you can double the recipe. However, it’s important not to overcrowd the air fryer basket to ensure even cooking and crispiness.
Can I reheat leftover shrimp in the air fryer?
Yes, you can reheat leftover shrimp in the air fryer for a few minutes to regain their crispy texture. Be careful not to overcook them.
What dipping sauces go well with Salt & Pepper Shrimp?
Dipping sauces like sweet chili sauce, garlic aioli, cocktail sauce, or a creamy yogurt-based dip complement the flavors of the shrimp nicely.
Can I use a different seasoning blend?
While the salt and pepper seasoning is classic, you can experiment with other seasoning blends or spices you enjoy.
Can I make this recipe in a traditional oven?
While the air fryer produces quick and crispy results, you can adapt this recipe for the oven. Bake the shrimp on a baking sheet at a high temperature (around 425°F or 220°C) for a similar effect, though the texture may differ.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Garlic Texas Toast
- Air Fryer French Fries
- AIR FRYER APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE
- PREPARING A BUNDT CAKE IN THE AIR FRYER OR INSTANT POT
- AIR FRYER PEACH DUMP CAKE
- BETTY CROCKER MUG TREATS AIR FRYER
- HOW TO BAKE A CAKE IN THE NINJA FOODI
- AIR FRYER PUMPKIN CAKE POPS
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT PANERA CINNAMON CRUMB COFFEE CAKE
Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Shrimp
- 1 pound Fresh or frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Black pepper, or adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, optional, for heat
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for a few minutes.
- Prepare the Shrimp: If using frozen shrimp, thaw them according to package instructions. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Coat with Cornstarch: In a bowl, lightly coat the shrimp with cornstarch. This helps create a crispy texture when air fried.
- Season the Shrimp: In a separate bowl, combine salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper (if using). Mix the seasoning well.
- Toss in Seasoning: Add the cornstarch-coated shrimp to the seasoning mixture. Toss the shrimp to ensure they are evenly coated with the spices.
- Add Cooking Oil: Drizzle a bit of cooking oil over the seasoned shrimp and toss to coat. The oil helps promote crispiness.
- Arrange in Air Fryer: Place the seasoned shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. You may need to cook them in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- Air Fry the Shrimp: Cook the shrimp in the air fryer for about 8-10 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through to ensure even cooking. The shrimp should turn pink, opaque, and crispy on the outside.
- Check for Doneness: To make sure the shrimp are fully cooked, cut one open to ensure it’s no longer translucent in the center. The internal temperature of shrimp should reach 145°F (63°C).
- Serve: Once the shrimp are cooked to perfection, remove them from the air fryer and serve immediately.
- Garnish (Optional): Garnish the Salt & Pepper Shrimp with chopped fresh herbs like cilantro or green onions for a burst of color and flavor.
- Enjoy: Serve the crispy, flavorful Salt & Pepper Shrimp as an appetizer, over a bed of rice, or as part of a seafood feast.
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional