These Air Fryer Homemade Cheez-Its are incredibly easy, cheesy, and crispy! You only need 7 simple ingredients and an air fryer to whip up a batch of these cheddar crackers.
These air fryer cheese crisps are amazing! With a few simple ingredients, you can make an entire batch to snack on!!
Cheez-Its are a huge snack in our house. Between my husband and my two teenagers, I can never keep enough in stock. This is one of the best homemade snacks, and when it’s done in the air fryer, it’s amazing. It provides the same crunch as the packaged version.
I wanted to make some go-to snacks that are excellent when you need something quick. Take them on long road trips or sit at your desk munching for an afternoon pick-me-up. There is no wrong time to enjoy these homemade cheese crackers.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Snack Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER OVEN GOLD RANCH POTATOES, AIR FRYER BANANA CHIPS, AIR FRYER RANCH PITA CHIPS, and AIR FRYER OLIVE CHEESE BREAD.
Why You’ll Love These Cheddar Crackers
- Only 7 ingredients
- Kids love them
- Adults love them
- Can be made ahead of time
- Great for on-the-go snacking
While we are mostly talking about homemade Cheez-Its today, I wanted to touch base on their history a little bit. They were invented back in 1921. They were originally called a Baked Rarebit.
If you don’t know, a Rarebit is a hot cheese dish usually served over slices of toasted bread. So, apparently, the inventors of Cheez-Its really liked rarebit and thought of a way to dry it out so they could eat it while on the road!
The rest is history. Cheez-Its are one of the most widely sold snacks in the United States.
Cheddar Crackers Ingredients
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- All-Purpose Flour
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
How To Make Air Fryer Homemade Cheez-Its
Step 1: Prepare the cheese crackers dough
In your food processor, pulse the cheddar cheese, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt together.
Slowly add the flour into the mixture, then add the water, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the dough forms.
Step 2: Cut the crackers
Divide the dough into 3 equal-sized pieces. Cover and place into the refrigerator until it firms up, about 2 to 3 hours.
Remove and flatten each dough ball on a floured surface. Cut the edges to form a square, then cut into 1/2 to 1-inch squares. Salt and place in the air fryer basket. Using a toothpick to punch a hole in the center (this will prevent them from puffing up too much)
Step 3: Air fry cheddar crackers
Air fry for 5-7 minutes at 370 degrees F, using the air fryer setting.
Step 4: Cool and serve
Use a pair of tongs to remove them from the air fryer basket. Let them cool for a few minutes — they will harden up as they dry.
How Do You Store Air Fryer Cheese Crisps?
If you have any leftovers, place them into an airtight container after the air fryer cheese crisps have cooled down to room temperature.
The key is to keep all of the moisture out of the crackers, so anything airtight — including a Ziplock bag — is perfect.
Keep them at room temperature for best eating. They will last about 4 to 5 days.
Can You Make Homemade Cheese Crackers In An Oven?
Absolutely! Remember anything that you can make in the air fryer can be made in the oven.
To make homemade cheese crackers in the oven, form the dough as directed on the recipe card. Then, place the prepared homemade Cheez-Its on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or sprayed with cooking spray.
Place into a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Some Other Great & Easy Air Fryer Snack Recipes–
- AIR FRYER PEPPER & ONION FLATBREAD
- AIR FRYER GARLIC ROASTED FINGERLING POTATOES
- EASY AIR FRYER TYSON CHICKEN WINGS
- EASY AIR FRYER CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER HONEY BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
- AIR FRYER SPICY FRENCH FRIES
Air Fryer Homemade Cheez-Its
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water
- In your food processor, add the pulse the cheddar cheese, butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt together.
- Slowly add the flour into the mixture, and add the water, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal-sized pieces. Cover and place into the refrigerator until it firms up, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove and flatten each dough ball on a floured surface. Cut the edges to form a square and cut into 1/2 to 1-inch squares. Salt and place in the air fryer basket. Using a toothpick punch a hole in the center (this will prevent them from puffing up too much).
- Air fry for 5-7 minutes at 370 degrees F, using air fryer setting.
- Air Fryer