Air Fryer Blackened chicken is one of the tastiest dishes to make weekly; it doesn’t take too much effort! The perfect combination of spicy and savory dishes will surely please even picky eaters.
Plus, blackening the chicken breast adds an extra punch of flavor that you can’t get with regular recipes. So if you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner idea, try this Blackened Chicken Recipe—you won’t regret it!
What Is Blackened Chicken?
Blackened chicken is a popular Cajun-style dish that involves cooking chicken in butter or oil over high heat. The high heat and the butter combine to give the chicken a blackened, crispy texture on the outside while keeping it juicy and moist on the inside.
The dish is typically served with some sauce or side, such as Creole sauce, cayenne pepper sauce, mashed potatoes, or salads. Blackened chicken can be a great way to spice up your regular dinner routine!
What Is Blacking Seasoning?
Blackening seasoning, or blackened redfish seasoning, is a spicy blend of herbs and spices to flavor and coat meat or seafood before cooking. It typically contains ingredients like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and sometimes dried mustard or crushed red pepper flakes.
The spices are mixed together and rubbed onto the food before cooking, creating a flavorful crust as the food cooks. Blackening seasoning is commonly used for blackened chicken, fish, or steak dishes.
If you love a great and flavorful chicken recipe, try some of my favorites, such as Air Fryer Chicken Peto Chicken Tenders, air fryer chicken salad recipe, or even air fryer boneless, skinless chicken breast.
Ingredients Needed For Air-Fried Blackened Chicken
Looking for a healthier, more flavorful way to enjoy your traditional fried chicken? If so, air-fried blackened chicken may be the perfect dish for you!
Filled with spicy and savory notes that will tantalize your taste buds, this irresistible entree is surprisingly easy to recreate from the comfort of your own kitchen. You only need a few simple ingredients, an air fryer, and a little patience to whip up the most succulent, juicy, blackened chicken. Read on to learn everything you need to start making this delicious dish!
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts; you can also use chicken tenderloins or chicken thighs.
- Blackening seasoning (or make your own with paprika, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, etc.)
- Olive oil or melted butter: Other great options are coconut or avocado.
- Air fryer: Use an air fryer basket, Air fryer proven, or the Ninja Foodi
How To Make Easy Blackened Chicken Recipe In Air Fryer
Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and remove any excess moisture from the chicken. Add all the ingredients for the blackening seasoning in a small bowl.
Generously coat both sides of the chicken breasts with either olive oil or melted butter, and then rub the spice rub over the chicken.
Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then place the piece of chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
Cook at 400 degrees F, and set the cooking time for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through until the chicken is cooked through. Remove when the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, and insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken.
Let the cooked chicken cool, and the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving. Then, serve and enjoy your air-fried blackened chicken!
Tips For The Best Blackened Chicken Recipe
- Easy Chicken Recipe: For a perfectly cooked chicken dish, using boneless and skinless pieces is key – whether it be breasts or thighs. Another great option is chicken tenderloins or chicken strips.
- Remove Excess Moisture From Chciken: Use a paper towel or clean kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture from this chicken; this will help the Cajun seasoning / blackening season adhere to the chicken breast.
- Marinate: There is no need to add any additional marinate, the blend of spices in the blackened seasoning chicken is one of the best easy chicken dinners, and the whole family will love it!
- Resting The Chicken: This cooking technique works best if you let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving. This gives the chicken a chance to absorb the chicken rub for a great Cajun cuisine meal.
What To Serve With Blacked Chicken
The chicken is the star of the show here, so you want side dishes that won’t overpower its flavor but will complement it nicely. This is a versatile dish that can be part of your delicious meal in a number of ways; some suggestions are:
- Mashed potatoes: The creamy, comforting potatoes are a perfect neutral canvas for the bold, smoky chicken. A little gravy on the side for drizzling is all you need.
- Braised greens: Hearty greens like kale, collard greens, or mustard greens hold up well to the strong flavor of seasoned chicken. Their slight bitterness provides a nice contrast to the spicy chicken.
- Grilled vegetables: Colorful grilled veggies like zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus, and mushrooms provide a lighter, brighter side. The high-heat cooking method gives them a hint of smokiness that connects to the blackened seasoning on the chicken.
- Salad: Serve alongside a fresh salad, or dice your blacked chicken breast into a traditional Caesar Salad.
How To Store
Let the leftover blackened chicken cool to room temperature, and then place it into an airtight container. The easy-blackened chicken will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. If you want to freeze the blackened chicken breast, wrap the individual chicken in saran or plastic wrap, then place them into a freezer bag.
This is a great recipe for meal prep and an easy way to eat low-carb and keto-friendly.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need to marinate blackened chicken?
Generally, blackened chicken does not need to be marinated beforehand. The blackening process involves seasoning the chicken with a combination of spices such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper. This creates a flavorful crust that helps keep the chicken juicy during cooking.
Can I bake this recipe in the oven?
Prepare as directed, then place the chicken onto a baking sheet. Place the baking pan into a preheated 350 degrees F oven and cook for 15-20 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. You can also use a cast iron skillet to get the sear on the chicken before baking.
If you don’t have an air fryer, I would recommend using cast-iron skillets over medium-high heat cook time for 4-5 minutes per side, and remove when the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Steakhouse Potatoes Recipe
- Easy Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Air Fyrer Sour Cream Potato Chips
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Easy Air Fryer Easy Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Olive Garden Toasted Raviolis
- Air Fryer Babybel Cheese
- Air Fryer Maple Popcorn
Air Fryer Blackened Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- teaspoon garlic powder
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel and remove any excess moisture from the chicken. Add all the ingredients for the blackening seasoning in a small bowl.
- Generously coat both sides of the chicken breasts with either olive oil or melted butter, and then rub the spice rub over the chicken.
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, then place the piece of chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 400 degrees F, and set the cooking time for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through until the chicken is cooked through. Remove when the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F, and insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken.
- Let the cooked chicken cool, and the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving. Then, serve and enjoy your air-fried blackened chicken!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional