Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast oozes with a tasty cheesy vegetable filling! It’s one of those healthy meals that the whole family will ask for over and over again. Not only is cheese stuffed chicken breast tender and moist, but the flavor is out of this world. Grab a sharp knife and your air fryer basket — it’s time to cook!
Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast
Today, I’m going to show you how to make a fantastic dish — stuffed chicken in the air fryer. It’s a healthy and delicious meal that your whole family will love. We seriously have it at least a few times per month.
When you decide to give this recipe a try, chances are you’ll have everything you need already in your kitchen. This air fryer stuffed chicken breast recipe only requires a few simple ingredients and there are plenty of substitute options.
Everything is better stuffed, not just chicken! Try more Stuffed Air Fryer Recipes like AIR FRYER STUFFED PEPPERS, BLUE CHEESE BACON STUFFED MUSHROOMS, AIR FRYER STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS, and BACON AND CHEESE STUFFED CRESCENT ROLLS.
Why You’ll Love This Stuffed Chicken Breast Air Fryer Recipe
- Simple to make with easy cleanup
- Ready in 15-20 minutes.
- Low-carb and perfect for keto diet
- Even picky eaters will love it
Ingredients Needed to Make Stuffed Chicken in Air Fryer
When I say that you probably have everything that you need to make this dinner tonight, I mean it! After all, a couple of basic ingredients are all these stuffed chicken breast air fryer recipe needs.
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless breasts are the easiest to stuff
- Diced Veggies: Fresh or frozen (thawed) spinach, broccoli, or bell peppers
- Cheese Mixture: Use your favorite! Cream cheese, mozzarella, cheddar cheese, parmesan… anything that melts well. You can even use a combination.
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning Options: Salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes.
How To Make Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast
Step 1: Prep the chicken
Start by laying out the chicken on a cutting board. Liberally season your chicken — I like to use salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Then, use a knife to cut a hole into the side of the chicken.
Step 2: Make the filling
Dice your broccoli into small pieces and add it to a microwave-safe bowl with about 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave for 1 minute to steam, then drain the water.
Add cheese to the bowl of steamed broccoli and mix well.
If you prefer to use spinach or another veggie, you can mix it right into the cheese without steaming.
Step 3: Stuff the chicken
Use your fingers to stuff each chicken breast with the cheese filling.
Be careful not to overfill the pocket or it will just ooze out when cooked.
Step 4: Cook stuffed chicken breast in air fryer
Spray the inside of your basket with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil, then place stuffed chicken breast in air fryer.
Give the chicken itself a spray with oil, then set the time for 7 minutes at 370 degrees F.
Flip and spray with more olive oil, then cook cheese stuffed chicken breast for another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Temp Check: It’s extremely important that you make sure the cheese stuffed chicken breast is cooked all the way through. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken — it should read at least 165 degrees F.
- Steam First: Take a few minutes to steam your vegetables before adding them to the cheese mixture. The flavor is much better this way! You don’t need any special equipment either.
Place the veggies in a microwave-safe bowl with a few tablespoons of water, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave for 1 minute. Drain and use as directed.
- Blending Options: The creamy filling can be made with different types of cheese and vegetables. You can blend by hand in a large bowl — just make sure to dice your veggies into tiny pieces on a cutting board first. Otherwise, simply add the filling ingredients to a blender like a Ninja Foodi and pulse until well combined.
- Even Cooking: If you’ll be making multiple pieces of stuffed chicken breast in the air fryer, try to get them as close to the same size as possible. This way, they will be ready at the same time.
- Add Some Spice: If you prefer a spicier blend, try out Pepper Jack cheese and a dash of spicy red pepper flakes!
Stuffed chicken is so tasty and it’s an easy way to get a healthy dose of protein and fiber into your meal. While the stuffed chicken is in the air fryer, why not whip up a side or two to go with it?
Try Instant Pot Wild Rice or Ninja Foodi Mashed Potatoes. I also like to serve this stuffed chicken breast air fryer recipe with Air Fryer Parsnip Fries or Mexican Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes for a quick and easy meal.
If you would like a sauce for your air fryer stuffed chicken breast, your favorite marinara or tomato-based sauce would be scrumptious and pair well with the spinach and cheese flavors. You could also do a simple lemon butter or garlic butter sauce for a lighter option.
Can I Freeze Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast Before Cooking?
Yes, you can assemble each cheese stuffed chicken breast as directed, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Store in a freezer-safe storage bag for 1 to 2 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then cook stuffed chicken breast in air fryer as directed.
How Do You Cut Chicken Breasts for Stuffing?
You need to butterfly the boneless breast, which means slicing into one side all the way through the middle but leaving the other side attached. Ideally, you’ll want to leave about 1/2-inch attached on one side so it doesn’t come apart.
Then, open up the breast — it will slightly resemble butterfly wings, which is where the name comes from! You can easily spread the filling on one side and fold the other back over before cooking.
If you prefer, you can simply slice into the breast just in the middle to make a pocket. This is what I usually do because it’s quicker.
What Cheese Works Best for Stuffing Chicken?
Anything that melts really well is your best option. Popular choices include mozzarella, cream cheese, Jack cheeses, and feta, but just about any variety that melts will work!
More Stuffed Chicken Breast Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER BROCCOLI AND CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN
- SPINACH AND FETA CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN BREAST IN AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER CREAM CHEESE AND HERB STUFFED CHICKEN
- PROSCIUTTO, PROVOLONE, AND ASPARAGUS STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup spinach, or broccoli
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, or Parmesan cheese. Or a mixture of a few!
- Start by laying out the chicken on a cutting board. Liberally season your chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Then use a knife and cut a hole into the side of the chicken.
- Diced the broccoli into small pieces. Then add it to a microwave-safe bowl, add about 2 tablespoons of water, place the bowl, hold the broccoli and water in the microwave, and set the time for 1 minute. (this will steam the broccoli)
- Remove the broccoli from the microwave and mix in the cream cheese and other cheese, mix well.
- Then use your fingers and stuff your chicken breast with the broccoli and cheese mixture.
- Spray the inside of your basket with non-stick cooking spray or olive oil and place the chicken breasts on top.
- Spray your chicken with olive oil spray, and then set the time for 7 minutes at 370 degrees F. After 7 minutes, check your chicken, flip and spray with olive oil.
- Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Air Fryer
- Toothpicks, optional, if you do use them soak them for 20 minutes.