Chimichangas are a bomb of flavor and texture. To make it even better, why not add shrimp? Air Fryer Shrimp Chimichangas are the perfect new way to eat a chimichanga and will definitely become your new favorite recipe to try.
Trying new things is a great way to expand your palate and enjoy all types of different foods. These Shrimp Chimichangas will give you a fast recipe to feed your whole family. The tender shrimp will add more flavor to the delicious chimichanga for a recipe everyone will return for.
Why Make This Recipe?
Great for Taco Tuesday. Having a day dedicated to Mexican food is a must! And this recipe will be perfect for the family on Taco Tuesday.
Filling. It is also filling and will keep you full for a long time.
Easy to make. This recipe is super simple and a great bonding recipe to make with your family. Everyone can grab their own burrito and stuff it with whatever they want.
Perfect for feeding a crowd of people. Whether you are feeding your family or friends, this recipe would be a great way to feed a crowd of people.
What is a shrimp chimichanga?
A chimichanga is a large burrito tortilla stuffed with all sorts of ingredients. A chimichanga is filled with rice, cheese, refried beans, and meat. It can also have veggies. A shrimp chimichanga is just that but with shrimp.
Is there a difference between a burrito and a chimichanga?
Yes, there is one major difference between a burrito and chimichanga. For the most part, both of these are the same. The are both filled with ingredients like meat, veggies, rice, and cheese. However, a chimichanga is fried, whereas a burrito is not.
How long can I store the shrimp chimichanga in the fridge?
A recipe like this will be mostly based on how long the cooked shrimp will last. Cooked shrimp can keep in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Can a shrimp chimichanga be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze shrimp chimichangas. You will want to wrap the chimichanga in foil and store it in an airtight container. This recipe will keep in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Are shrimp chimichangas made with flour or corn tortillas?
For this recipe, you will be using flour tortillas. You will need a 10-inch buritto tortilla to keep all the ingredients sealed it. A flour tortilla will be best for frying.
Is a chimichanga always fried?
Yes, almost all chimichanga recipes will require you to fry them. However, this recipe will be using an air fryer. This will allow you to avoid all the grease of frying the recipe.
- Lemon Zest
- Refried Beans
- Olive Oil
Serving suggestion: shredded iceberg lettuce, pico de gallo, diced avocado, sour cream, and lime wedges
How to Make Shrimp Chimichanga
Step 1- Prepping the shrimp
Follow the directions on the popcorn shrimp to cook in the air fryer.
Step 2- Prepping the rice.
Add 1/2 cup of water into a small saucepan and heat on medium-high, then add in rich and 1/2 tsp of salt. Bring to a simmer and seal with a lid and switch the heat to low. Allow the rice to absorb the water and cook for 15 minutes until tender. Take off the lid and leave uncovered for 5 minutes, and fluff with a fork. Add in the cilantro and lemon zest.
Step 3- Prepping the tortillas
Use a damp paper towel to wrap the flour tortillas and heat for about 30 seconds in the microwave.
Step 4- Filling the tortilla.
Lay the warmed tortillas on a clean surface and spoon 1/4 cup of the refried beans in the center in a rectangular shape using an offset spatula. Proceed to add 1/4 cup of the prepared rice and 1/4 of the prepared shrimp into the tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup of cheese.
Step 5- Wrapping the Chimichanga.
Take the two opposite ends of the tortilla and fold over the filling. Take the closest side of the tortilla and begin rolling into a tight log. Flip the chimichanga over with the seam facing down and use a pastry brush to add the oil on the top and bottom of the chimichanga. Continue the process with the rest of the warmed tortillas.
Step 6- Air Frying the Chimichanga.
Set the air fryer to 390 degrees and set the prepared chimichanga into the basket with the seam facing down. Heat the chimichanga for 5-6 minutes until light brown and crispy. Top with 1/2 cup of cheese and cook for an additional minute.
Step 7- Serving
Serve this dish with your choice of shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, diced avocado, sour cream, and lime wedges, and enjoy!
Air Fryer Shrimp Chimichanga
- 18 ounce popcorn shrimp, such as SeaPak® Popcorn Shrimp
- 1/4 cup long-grain white rice
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest, from 1 lime
- 4 10-inch burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup canned refried black beans
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend, about 6 ounces
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Prepare the popcorn shrimp according to the package directions for the air fryer.
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the rice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Return to a simmer, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, let stand covered for 5 minutes and fluff with a fork. Stir in the cilantro and lime zest.
- Wrap the flour tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave until warm and pliable, about 30 seconds. Place the tortillas on a cutting board or clean work surface. Using a small offset spatula or the back of a spoon, spread 1/4 cup of the refried beans in the center of each tortilla in a rectangular shape. Top with 1/4 cup rice, a quarter of the popcorn shrimp and 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Fold in the two opposite side of the tortilla over the filling. Fold the side closest to you over the filling, then tightly roll the burrito away from you. Place the chimichanga seam-side down and brush the top and bottom with olive oil. Repeat with the remaining 3 tortillas.
- Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F. Place the chimichangas in the air fryer basket seam-side down (see Cook’s Note). Air fry until golden brown and crisp all over, 5 to 6 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup cheese on the top of the chimichangas, then air fry 1 minute more to melt. Serve with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, diced avocado, sour cream and lime wedges
- Air Fryer