Are you looking for a quick, easy soup recipe with protein and flavor? Look no further than Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup! This recipe is delicious and super easy to make in your Instant Pot.
While you might think you can only get this recipe at your local Chinese restaurants, you can make this fabulous recipe right in your pressure cooker.
The weather is getting to be like winter. It has been getting so chilly in Philadelphia today that I made my family some Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup, which is amazingly good.
If you are looking for a foolproof recipe for making egg drop soup in the Instant Pot, this is your recipe. It’s truly amazing.
This is one of my family’s favorite recipes in Chinese restaurants; absolutely delicious and amazingly easy to make in the Instant Pot. With a few steps and a few ingredients, you can have a great Copycat Recipe for Egg Drop Soup.
If you are looking for even more Instant Pot Soup Recipes, some of my favorites are INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP, INSTANT POT FRENCH ONION SOUP, INSTANT POT CREAM OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP, and INSTANT POT BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP.
What Is Classic Egg Drop Soup?
Egg soup, or egg drop soup, is a traditional Chinese soup. A good bowl of egg drop soup is made with beaten eggs slowly poured into a simmering broth. As the eggs cook, they create thin, beautiful ribbons throughout the soup, giving it a unique texture and appearance.
The broth can be made with chicken or vegetable stock and seasoned with various spices and herbs, depending on personal preference. Egg soup is often served as a light and nutritious starter dish in Chinese cuisine, but variations can be found in many different cultures worldwide.
Why Make Egg Soup In Instant Pot?
Cooking Egg soup in your pressure cooker has several advantages over traditional stovetop methods. Here are a few reasons why:
- Fast: Instant Pots are designed to cook food quickly and efficiently. Using a pressure cooker to make egg soup, you can have a delicious and nutritious meal ready in just a few minutes. Perfect for a weeknight meal!
- Convenience: The Instant Pot is a versatile appliance that can be used to sauté, simmer, and cook all in one pot. No need to hunt for the saucepan; the pressure cooker has you covered.
- Consistency: Cooking egg soup on the stovetop can be tricky, as the eggs can easily overcook and become tough. With the Instant Pot, you can control the cooking time and temperature to ensure the eggs are always perfectly cooked.
- Easy Cleanup: Instant Pots are designed to be easy to clean and maintain, so you won’t have to spend as much time scrubbing pots and pans after making the soup.
Overall, making egg soup in an Instant Pot is a quick, convenient, and easy way to prepare this delicious and nutritious dish. Whether you’re cooking for one or a crowd, the Instant Pot is a great tool in your kitchen.
Ingredients Needed For The Best Instant Pot Egg Soup
Instant Pot egg soup is the ultimate way to elevate your dinner game if you want to take your mealtime routine up a notch. Combining essential ingredients with the power of an Instant Pot creates a cozy, flavorful soup that’s both quick and easy.
Not only will this recipe quell hunger pains, but it also has all the freshness and deliciousness of slow-cooked meals without taking hours in the kitchen. Read on for details on how to make the best instant pot egg soup ever
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Chicken Broth: You can also use vegetable broth, homemade chicken stock, or water.
- Eggs: Use large, room-temperature eggs
- Soy Sauce: For added flavor, you can also use low-sodium soy sauce
- Ginger Paste: If you don’t have a ginger paste, you can use minced garlic or garlic powder
- Oil: Use olive oil, avocado oil, or grapeseed oil
- Seasonings and Spices: Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Red Pepper Flakes
- Serving: Sliced green onions, or scallions
How To Cook Egg Soup In Instant Pot
Are you looking for a delicious and simple meal that is easy to make with minimal clean-up? Look no further! Egg soup in an Instant Pot is the perfect solution. It’s quick, nutritious, and easily customized with spices or fresh vegetables.
Step One: Add Ingredients To Instant Pot Bowl
Add soy sauce, ginger paste, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt to your Instant Pot chicken broth. Mix well. Add your Instant Pot Lid on and twist until sealed. Close the sealing valve to sealing. Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for one minute.
Step Two: Create Egg Ribbons
Once your Instant Pot is done, quickly release the valve toward you to release the pressure. When the pressure has completely been released, open the lid. Stir the soup. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. While stirring your broth mixture in a circular motion, slowly pour in your whisked eggs. This will create the ribbon effect for eggs in the egg drop soup. Stir in your sliced green onions.
Step Three: Serving
Serve with freshly sliced green onions or scallion and a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Corn: Add some canned or defrosted frozen corn, and stir in during cooking. After a couple of minutes, the corn will heat up.
- Vegetarian: To make this a vegetarian broth, use either vegetarian broth or stock.
- Double: This recipe can easily be doubled. The recipe will require the same cooking time.
Is Egg Drop Soup Healthy?
Yes, this soup is very healthy. It is low in calories and carbohydrates. This is a great way to make a KETO Friendly and low-carb soup.
If you want a healthier option to make egg drop soup, you can substitute soy sauce for coconut aminos.
What Makes Egg Drop Soup Thick?
If you want a thicker soup, make a cornstarch mixture.
Add equal parts of cornstarch and water into a bowl, then mix—about one tablespoon of cornstarch and one tablespoon of water mixed in a small bowl. Ladle a couple of cups of hot broth into the cornstarch slurry before adding it to the hot soup. Mix the soup until the soup absorbs the cornstarch slurry.
How Long Does Egg Drop Soup Last In The Fridge?
This soup will last 3 to 4 days when put into an airtight container and placed into the refrigerator.
How To Reheat Egg Drop Soup
You can reheat the soup in the microwave or in a saucepan, or on the stove. Warm until the soup is heated up.
Can You Freeze Egg Drop Soup
Yes, If you are looking for a quick and easy soup recipe that you can make ahead of time and freeze. If so, then egg drop soup is the perfect option for you. This soup is simple to prepare and can be frozen for later use.
For successful freezing, do not add the eggs before freezing. You will add them when you go to reheat the soup.
Is Egg Drop Soup KETO Friendly?
Yes, this is a very KETO-friendly and low-carb soup, with very low carbs in Egg Drop Soup, but very high in protein. Follow this recipe for an egg drop soup recipe keto!
Egg Flower Soup vs Egg Drop Soup
Have you ever wondered about the difference between egg flower soup and egg drop soup? They are both soups made with eggs, after all.
Here are the main differences. First, egg flower soup generally contains mushrooms and ham or pork, while egg drop soup usually has no meat. Secondly, egg flower soup is typically a little creamier than egg drop soup because of the addition of milk or cream. Finally, the two soups have different textures; egg flower soup is more delicate due to its thinner consistency, while egg drop soup has a more robust flavor and a thicker texture.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
Love this recipe for Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup. If you have a Ninja Foodi, Pressure Cooker, or Instant Pot, check out these recipes!
Don’t Forget To Pin:
Instant Pot Egg Drop Soup
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 sliced green onions, (more or less if desired), sliced thinly)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add soy sauce, ginger paste, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt to your Instant Pot chicken broth. Mix well.
- Add your Instant Pot Lid on and twist until sealed.
- Close the sealing valve to sealing. Set your Instant Pot to high pressure for one minute.
- Once your Instant Pot is done, do a quick release by bringing the valve toward you to release the pressure.
- When the pressure has completely been released, open the lid. Stir the soup.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs.
- While stirring your broth mixture in a circular motion, slowly pour in your whisk eggs. This will create the ribbon effect for your eggs in the egg drop soup.
- Stir in your sliced green onions.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Instant Pot, or Ninja Foodi