The instant Pot Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe is amazing! If you have been looking for an authentic Greek Instant Pot Avgolemono Soup, this is one of my favorites! If you have been looking for an authentic soup, that you would find in most Greek Restaurants, this is the recipe!
Avgolemono is amazing! This is one of my favorite recipes for a great-tasting soup, inspired by traditional Greek flavors. This makes for a great Sunday lunch, on a cold day, for the entire family, and it’s a great comfort food, it might just be a favorite thing you make in your electric pressure cooker!
This is a hearty soup made with a great lemon flavor, and this soup is called Avgolemono Soup in Greek. It’s made of tender pieces of chicken, flavored with traditional roasted vegetables, and seasoned perfectly.
There is nothing better on a rainy Sunday than a great bowl of hot soup, and this will soon be one of your favorite soups. And nothing makes up a soup faster and better than your Instant Pot.
If you are looking for even more soups to make in your Instant Pot, I love a great bowl of INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP, INSTANT POT FRENCH ONION SOUP, INSTANT POT CREAM OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP, and INSTANT POT HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP.
What Is Avgolemono Soup Instant Pot
Avgolemono Soup is a traditional Greek soup, which means lemon soup in Greek. It is made with eggs and lemon, which is simmered in a broth and seasoned up.
The Avgolemono is actually a typical Greek sauce served over chicken, lamb, or pasta, and the soup is a simple one, where broth is added to make a soup.
You can either serve it with orzo, traditional Greek pasta, or rice.
Why Make This Avgolemono Instant Pot?
I hear you. Why would I make this Avgolemono Instant Pot when there are so many other recipes out there? I’ll tell you why: because it’s easy, and it’s delicious. Whether you’re a first-time cook or an experienced chef, this recipe is simple and foolproof. Plus, the end result is a creamy, lemony broth that will rival anything your favorite restaurant serves up. Ready to give it a try? Read on for instructions!
Ingredients Needed For Avgolemono Soup
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy soup to make in your Instant Pot, look no further than this Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. It’s perfect for a winter meal and only requires a few simple ingredients. So gather up your supplies and get cooking!
- Olive Oil: Or use a high-heat oil, to prevent smoking.
- Chicken: You can either use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or chicken thighs. (You can even use leftover rotisserie chicken)
- Onions: Use diced onions, either white or sweet onions.
- Celery: Use finely diced celery.
- Minced Garlic This provides some aromatic to your soup.
- Chicken Broth or Stock: Use either low-sodium or homemade chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Seasonings/Spice: Salt, Black Pepper, Bay Leaf, serve with fresh herbs, such as fresh dill, or fresh parsley.
- Egg: Use large, room-temperature eggs
For the full recipe, make sure you scroll down to the recipe card below, but here is a brief overview of how to make Instant Pot Greek Lemon Chicken Soup.
How To Make Greek Lemon Rice Soup (Avgolemono) In An Instant Pot
Step One: Start by placing one tablespoon of olive oil into your Instant Pot. Then press the saute button, and let the oil heat up for about 30 seconds.
Dice your chicken into bite-size pieces, shredded chicken Then add them to the Instant Pot, being careful to keep on moving the chicken bites to not stick to the pan. Once the chicken is browned, remove and place it aside (you will be adding it back later)
Step Two: Then add your other tablespoon of olive oil into the Instant Pot, and place the diced celery and diced onions into the Instant Pot. Saute until they are tender, about 3 to 4 minutes, add the minced garlic into the Instant Pot, and then saute for about 30 seconds.
Step Three: Return the chicken to the Instant Pot, along with the chicken broth (stock), salt pepper, and bay leaves.
Place your lid on your Instant Pot, making sure that the vent is in the sealed position, and set your manual high pressure, set the cooking time for 20 minutes. Let the Instant Pot natural release.
Step Four: When the remaining pressure is done, you can easily remove your lid, remove your lid, and mix the soup. In a small bowl, beat the egg. This is important because if you mix the egg directly into the Instant Pot (hot liquid), you will end up with a scrambled egg.
Step Five: You will slowly add one cup of hot broth into the egg but slowly stir after about 1/4 cup. Once it’s fully mixed with 1 cup of broth, slowly add it to the soup. Mix well. Ladle into bowls, and top with some diced parsley, parmesan cheese, feta cheese, or lemon zest.
How To Store Greek Lemon Soup
If you have any leftover soup, let it cool to room temperature, and then ladle it into an airtight container. Place it into the refrigerator, where it will last for about 2 to 3 days. It’s even better the next day!
To Reheat: Pour the soup into a small saucepan or a microwave-safe bowl, and heat over medium heat, and simmer until hot.
Can You Freeze Avgolemono Soup?
This is a great soup that you can freeze since there is no dairy in the soup. I usually make a double batch and freeze one portion for another meal.
- To Freeze: Let it cool to room temperature, and then place it into a freezer-safe container. Leave a bit of space on top, as the soup will expand as it freezes. The soup will last between 1 to 2 months.
- To Use From Frozen: Place the soup in the refrigerator overnight to thaw, and then reheat.
Is Instant Avgolemono Keto?
Yes, for the most part. When you think of keto foods, what comes to mind? Probably lots of meat, cheese, and eggs. But what about soups and sauces? Can they be keto-friendly too? In this post, we’ll take a look at the ketogenic potential of instant avgolemono – a classic Greek soup made with chicken broth, lemon juice, and egg yolks.
Remember to check the labels to make sure that there are no hidden carbs in your ingredients!
What Kind of Rice or Pasta Can I Add?
While today I did not add any rice or pasta to the dish, any starch can easily add it. Follow the recipe as directed and add either a cup of:
- Arborio Rice
- Orzo Pasta
- White Rice
- Brown Rice
Avgolemono Chicken Soup Variations
While today, I went with an authentic Greek Lemon Chicken Soup. You can change it up in several ways.
Here are some variations.
- Gluten-Free: Omit the rice, or use arborio rice. You can also add cooked Gluten-Free pasta at the end and mix it into the finished soup.
- Paleo/Whole 30: Omit the rice. You could also add some cauliflower rice and mix it in. You could also add some roasted cauliflower or broccoli into the soup.
- Vegan (Vegetarian) Avgolemono: Omit the chicken, and if you do not eat eggs, omit them as well, or use a vegan or vegetarian substitute. You can increase the vegetables used in this recipe to make it a heartier vegan soup.
What To Serve With Avgolemono
This is a great soup. I usually add a simple Greek Salad and have a great meal. But this soup will work with anything from a simple grilled chicken, salmon, or steak.
More Instant Pot Recipe:
Love the recipe for lemon chicken orzo soup Instant Pot. Check out these recipes. Remember you can make these recipes in the Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot, or another Pressure Cooker.
- PRESSURE COOKER, INSTANT POT, THE BEST AND EASIEST INSTANT POT CURRIED PUMPKIN SOUP
Don’t Forget To Pin!
Avgolemono Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless breast of)–diced
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth, or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large egg
- Start by placing one tablespoon of olive oil into your Instant Pot.
- Then press the saute button, and let the oil heat up for about 30 seconds.
- Dice your chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Then add them to the Instant Pot, being careful to keep on moving the chicken bites to not stick to the pan.
- Once the chicken is browned, remove and place aside (you will be adding it back later)
- Then add your other tablespoon of olive oil into the Instant Pot, and place the diced celery and diced onions into the Instant Pot. Saute until they are tender, about 3 to 4 minutes, then add the minced garlic into the Instant Pot, and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Return the chicken to the Instant Pot, along with the chicken broth (stock), salt pepper, and bay leaves.
- Place your lid on your Instant Pot, making sure that the vent is in the sealed position, and set your manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release.
- When the pressure is completely down, you can easily remove your lid, remove your lid, and mix the soup.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg. This is important because if you mix the egg directly into the Instant Pot (hot liquid), you will end up with a scrambled egg.
- You will slowly add one cup of broth into the egg, but slowly and stir after about 1/4 cup. Once it’s fully mixed with 1 cup of broth, slowly add it into the soup.
- Mix well.
- Ladle into bowls, and top with some diced parsley and lemon zest.
- Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, or Pressure Cooker