Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup — You know that feeling when you can’t wait to get home and make yourself a nice bowl of soup? Well, this Instant Pot Potato Soup is the perfect meal for those days. It’s filling and delicious, easy on the budget, and quick to prepare!
Instant Pot Potato Soup is such a comforting food. And I truly love making soups in my Instant Pot during the winter.
If you have ever had Homemade Instant Pot Potato Soup, you will soon realize that it’s a creamy and rich soup. I added some cheese and diced bacon, and it was a great lunch for the entire family.
If you are looking for even more Instant Pot Soup Recipes, some of my favorites are INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP, INSTANT POT FRENCH ONION SOUP, INSTANT POT CREAM OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP, and INSTANT POT BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUP.
What Is Potato Soup?
Many people may not know the answer to this question, but what is potato soup? Potato soup is a hearty and comforting dish that can be made with many different types of potatoes.
It’s usually thickened with milk or cream and has added ingredients like bacon, ham, onion, carrot, celery, and thyme. The most popular variation on potato soup is chicken noodle soup which includes egg noodles as well as other vegetables. This recipe will cover how to make simple yet flavorful potato soup so you can enjoy one for dinner tonight!
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot Potato Soup
Are you in the mood for some delicious potato soup, but don’t want to spend all day in the kitchen? If so, then you need an Instant Pot! This amazing kitchen appliance can help you make mouth-watering potato soup in a fraction of the time it would take using other methods. Plus, it’s easy to customize this soup to your liking. So, what are you waiting for? Get out your Instant Pot and start cooking!
- Butter: Use unsalted butter, or omit the salt.
- Onion: These provide a lot of flavors, to the soup, use while or sweet onions.
- Potatoes: Choose firm potatoes, free from blemishes
- Chicken Broth: If you want a vegan soup, switch out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.
- Seasonings/Spices: Minced Garlic, Salt, Black Pepper, Thyme, Ground Nutmeg
- Milk: You can also use a dairy-free alternative.
- Cornstarch: Helps thicken the soup
- Optional Garnishes: Sour Cream, Diced Bacon, and Sliced Green Onions
How To Make Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
Set your instant pot to sauté mode. Once hot, add in your butter. Add your onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until it begins to soften. Once your onion has softened, add in your garlic. Sauté for about a minute to release the flavors of the garlic.
Press cancel on your Instant Pot. Add in your potatoes, thyme, nutmeg, broth, salt, and pepper.
Close and seal the lid on your Instant Pot. Close the valve. Select pressure cook on manual high for 4 minutes. Once the time is done cooking, naturally release 4 to 5 minutes, then do a quick release by opening the valve.
Press cancel on your Instant Pot, then sauté mode. In a separate bowl, mix your milk and corn starch. Once completely mixed, add to your Instant Pot. Carefully stir the corn starch mixture making sure not to mash any potatoes to keep it second chunky. Allow it to sauté for about three minutes to thicken up.
Mix your sour cream. Once fully incorporated, press cancel on your Instant Pot. Garnish your potato soup with classic toppings such as bacon, cheese, and green onions!
- Potatoes: Make sure that your potatoes are diced approximately the same size, so they all cook up simultaneously.
- Creamier Soup? For a creamer soup, use an immersion blender, and blend until it’s at the desired consistency.
- What Cheese To Use? You can easily change out the cheeses for any of your favorites.
- Mix Well, To Avoid Burn Notice: Ensure to stir the soup before adding the lid, so you do not get any BURN notice.
What Kinds Of Potatoes To Use?
I prefer a Russet potato for this soup, which tends to be a bit firmer than other potatoes. It really gives a great consistency to the soup.
Other types that will work well in this soup are Yukon Gold Potatoes because they have a lot of starch.
How To Make Loaded Potato Soup In the Slow Cooker
If you were looking for a loaded baked potato soup slow cooker recipe, here is an easy one!
This is an easy recipe to adapt to the slow cooker, and you can add all of your ingredients to a 6 or 8-quart slow cooker, then turn the timer on for 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
Remember to stir the soup, before serving.
Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Dairy-Free Options:
This is a great soup that can be adapted to make a vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, and dairy-free soup.
- For Vegan Potato Soup: Remove the butter, and substitute it for olive oil or vegetable oil. You will also need to substitute the milk for either soy, hemp, rice, oat, or almond milk. You will need to use a vegan cheese option.
- For Vegetarian Potato Soup: you can use vegetable broth or stock, omit the milk, and a vegetarian option.
- For Gluten-Free Potato Soup: Omit the cornstarch, and look for a Gluten-Free Cornstarch. Also, check to make sure that the chicken broth you’re using is gluten-free.
- For Dairy-Free Potato Soup: Remove the milk and cheese from this dish, and use a dairy–free alternative.
How Long Does Potato Soup Last In The Fridge
Loaded potato soup will last in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days. Make sure you let the soup cool to room temperature, then ladle it into airtight containers.
How To Freeze Potato Soup
To freeze potato soup, simply allow it to cool to room temperature. Then place in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Placed into the freezer it will last for 2 to 3 months. When you are ready to eat your potato soup Instant Pot recipe, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
How To Reheat Potato Soup
Place any of your leftover soup into a small saucepan. Then over medium-low heat, slowly reheat the soup. If you want to thin it out, you can add some milk or vegetable broth.
How To Thicken Potato Soup
If you want a thicker loaded potato soup, add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon of water, in a small cup. Mix well, and then pour it into the soup, mix well, until the cornstarch slurry is dissolved into the soup!
More Instant Pot Recipes:
If you loved our recipe for potato soup, here are some of our other favorite soup recipes, that you can make in the Ninja Foodi, Instant Pot, or any pressure cooker!
- INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP
- INSTANT POT FRENCH ONION SOUP
- HOW TO MAKE VEGETABLE BROTH IN THE INSTANT POT
- INSTANT POT CREAM OF BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- INSTANT POT HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 pounds potatoes, (peeled and diced (into about 1/2-inch cubes))
- 3 sprigs diced thyme, remove leaves from stem
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 28 ounces chicken broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Optional Garnishes: Shredded cheddar diced cooked bacon, and sliced green onions
- Set your instant pot to sauté mode. Once hot, add in your butter. Add your onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Once your onion has softened, add in your garlic. Sauté for about a minute to release the flavors of the garlic.
- Press cancel on your Instant Pot. Add in your potatoes, thyme, nutmeg, broth, salt, and pepper.
- Close and seal the lid on your Instant Pot. Close the valve. Select pressure cook on manual high for 4 minutes. Once the time is done cooking, naturally release for 4 to 5 minutes, then do a quick release by opening the valve.
- Press cancel on your Instant Pot, then sauté mode. In a separate bowl, mix your milk and corn starch. Once completely mixed, add to your Instant Pot. Carefully stir the corn starch mixture making sure not to mash any potatoes to keep it second chunky. Allow it to sauté for about three minutes to thicken up.
- Mix your sour cream. Once fully incorporated, press cancel on your Instant Pot.
- Garnish your potato soup with classic toppings such as bacon, cheese, and green onions!
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Instant Pot