Instant Pot South Carolina She-Crab Soup –This is one of the most delicious soups you will ever eat. This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law, and it’s so easy to make! You can also use a crockpot if you don’t have an Instant Pot. The secret ingredient in this soup is Old Bay Seasoning, but it has plenty of other great flavors as well.
The South Carolina She-Crab Soup is a dish that has been passed down through generations. This soup is known for its creamy, salty, and sweet taste. It’s almost impossible to find in restaurants because You can only find it in homes of the Carolinas—She-crab meat, heavy cream, onion, celery, salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning.
Our family recipe comes from my mother-in-law, who was born in the south. And when my family and I went to visit her, she would usually make this soup! My kids loved helping her make this dish with fresh local crabs that they caught.
If you have not made soup in the Instant Pot yet, let me tell you there is no better way to make homemade soups! They are so good, and unlike traditional methods of stirring the soups over a burner, with the Instant Pot, you push a button, and the Instant Pot does all of the work for you!
Some of my other favorite Instant Pot Soup Recipes are INSTANT POT COPYCAT PANERA’S BROCCOLI AND CHEDDAR SOUP, INSTANT POT CURRIED PUMPKIN SOUP, INSTANT POT CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP, and INSTANT POT FRENCH ONION SOUP.
What Is South Carolina She-Crab Soup?
South Carolina She-Crab Soup is a creamy, milk-based soup made with crabmeat and vegetables. The dish originated in the Low Country region of South Carolina, where you will find it on the menu in almost every restaurant. Today, this delectable Southern seafood soup is enjoyed throughout the United States, particularly during cold weather months when people are looking to warm up with some hearty comfort food.
You will find that the recipes vary across regions but typically include an abundance of fresh corn, tomatoes, celery, and onions sautéed together before adding milk or cream. You can enhance the flavor by using shrimp instead of crabmeat or adding other ingredients like okra or spinach leaves at the end to create a one-of-a-kind dish.
Ingredients Needed For Instant Pot South Carolina She-Crab Soup
- All-Purpose Flour
- Minced Garlic
- Half and Half
- Heavy Cream
- Chicken Broth
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Hot Pepper Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Lump Crabmeat
- Sherry Wine
- Serve With: Fresh Lemons, Dill, or Chives
How To Make Instant Pot South Carolina She-Crab Soup
Start by turning your Instant Pot to saute’, then add the butter in. Once it melts, stir in the flour to make a rue.
Once it’s all mixed in, add the onions, celery, and garlic, and continue to saute until the onion is softened for about 4 minutes.
Then gradually whisk in the half and half cream and broth, then continue to saute until it starts to simmer. Add the sherry, Old Bay Seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
Then continue to simmer for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the crabmeat and mix well. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
Then ladle into bowls, serve with some fresh herbs as a garnish.
Crab Soup Recipe Notes:
- This recipe can be prepared in an Instant Pot, Ninja Foodi, or pressure cooker. The recipe will remain the same.
- This soup can also be prepared in a large stockpot.
- Continue to stir the soup, so the Rue does not burn.
How To Store Instant Pot South Carolina She-Crab Soup?
Soup is great comfort food. One of the best things about soup is that it’s easy to make and stored in the refrigerator for a few days.
This soup does not freeze well since there is both dairy and crab.
What Type of Crab To Use In Crab Soup?
I am so excited to share this recipe with you all about what type of crab to use in crab soup! With the holiday season just around the corner, it’s time for many families to start thinking about their Thanksgiving menus.
For best results, use fresh lump crabmeat. You really want to taste the crab in every bite. The imitation crab meat will not taste the same.
More Instant Pot & Ninja Soup Recipes:
NINJA OR INSTANT POT EGG DROP SOUP
- 5tablespoons of butter
- 5 tablespoons of flour
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
- 2 quarts of half and half cream
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 pounds of lump crabmeat
- 1/2 cup of sherry wine
- Optional Serve With: A squeeze of fresh lemon, fresh dill, and/or fresh chives
- Start by turning your Instant Pot to saute', then add the butter in. Once it melts, stir in the flour to make a rue.
- Once it's all mixed in, add the onions, celery, and garlic, and continue to saute until the onion is softened for about 4 minutes.
- Then gradually whisk in the half and half cream and broth, then continue to saute until it starts to simmer. Add the sherry, Old Bay Seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Then continue to simmer for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add the crabmeat and mix well. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Then ladle into bowls, serve with some fresh herbs as a garnish.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1245Total Fat: 98gSaturated Fat: 64gTrans Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 478mgSodium: 2493mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 51g
ForkToSpoon.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although we try to attempt to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.