Egg rolls, yummy, are one of the most popular takeout dishes from Chinese Food Restaurants. My family is big fans of crab rangoon, so today, I sat down and came up with this, an Air Fryer Crab Rangoon Egg Roll.
I had never made egg rolls before I got my first air fryer. After that, I was always looking for new recipes. The egg roll wrapper crips up so nicely with the air fryer. And I have found over the years that with a few sprays of cooking spray (not aerosol), you can really get a crispy and delicious exterior.
So, today, I will show you how to make a great and easy appetizer. My kids love these, and with the crab, it has a lot of protein, so it’s a really filling egg roll.
If you are looking for even more Air Fryer Egg Roll Recipes, some of my favorites are AIR FRYER LASAGNA EGG ROLLS, AIR FRYER PEANUT BUTTER BANANA EGG ROLLS, AIR FRYER CHEESY HAM & PICKLE EGG ROLLS, and AIR FRYER PIZZA EGG ROLLS.
What Are Egg Rolls?
They are usually fried. Today we are doing air fryer egg rolls. Eggs rolls are actually American food, as the Chinese have spring rolls. These emerged around the 20th century.
In general, they are a Chinese appetizer, filled with vegetables, meat, and other things and then deep-fried.
This creates a great crispy exterior. Today I used a cooking spray and was able to get the same crunch. So, invest in a great Olive Oil Sprayer (or use any other high heat oil)
Why are they called Egg Rolls?
Since there is no egg in the wrapper itself, the name egg roll is a bit of a misnomer.
There are two theories: traditionally, the Chinese made egg roll wrappers with eggs in the olden days. Hence the name.
But the other recent theory is in New York; the same dish was made with a thin egg omelet where they would fill the thin omelet up with fillings and then roll it, hence the egg roll.
However, the name got stuck. We all know what they are and never actually think about an egg. But we all think of them as delicious!
What Is An Egg Roll Made of?
So, if the egg roll contains no egg, what are they actually made of?
The commercially made egg rolls are made out of wheat flour, water, salt, vinegar, and cornstarch.
Ingredients In Air Fryer Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Imitation Crab Flakes
- Cream Cheese
- Green Onions
- Soy Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Egg Roll Wrappers
- Cooking Spray
How To Make Air Fryer Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
In a medium mixing bowl, combine crab, cream cheese, diced celery, green onions, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce.
Mix well using a wooden spoon.
Add 4 tbsp of crab mix diagonally to the center of the egg roll. Fold one corner over the crab mix towards the opposite side, fold both sides over the ends of the crab mix to the center, then tightly roll to the corner.
Preheat the air fryer to 400* F, air fryer setting, for 5 minutes
Whisk egg and water in a small bowl. Brush all sides of the egg roll with the egg wash. Place into the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook for 5-8 minutes.
Serve immediately with sweet and sour sauce and enjoy!
MORE TIPS FOR THE BEST AIR FRYER EGG ROLL RESULTS:
- If you need help on how to roll your egg rolls, here is a great video. Because one of the best tips I can give you, si to keep on practicing.
- Make sure your egg roll wrappers are sealed. If you have a pastry brush, brush it with a small amount of water, and then seal—no need for the filling to fall out.
- If you want the egg rolls to get really crispy, lightly spray them with cooking spray.
- Leave space between the egg rolls to fully cooked and crisp up the egg roll wrappers. If they are touching, you will find that the food touching does not crisp up. The air fryer needs the air freely circulating to properly and evenly cook the food. Remember that is how an air fryer works.
What Dipping Sauce To Serve These With?
While you can eat these plain, there is nothing better than dipping your egg rolls in something, some of my favorite sauces:
- Thai Sweetened Chili Sauce for Spring Rolls
- Kikkoman Dipping Sauce, Sweet and Sour
- Maggie Gin’s Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Blue Dragon Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
- Premium | BOOM BOOM Sauce
Make-Ahead and Freezing Homemade Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Thee are a great recipe to make ahead or even to freeze, for later.
If you want to make them ahead and cook the same day: Prepare them as directed in the recipe below. Then place them covered into the refrigerator. Air Fry as directed below.
To Freeze: This is a great recipe to make ahead and stick in the freezer. To freeze, let them cool to room temperature after you cook as directed. Then place them on a sprayed baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the freezer. Free until they are frozen solid. Remove and place into a freezer-safe or freezer bag.
Use the directions below on how to cook homemade frozen egg rolls.
How long do you cook frozen egg rolls in the air fryer?
If you have a batch of frozen egg rolls, place them into the air fryer basket, and set the temperature to 340 degrees F, air fryer setting for 5 minutes, and then increase the temperature to 400 degrees F for another 2-3 minutes.
For best results spray them generously with cooking spray, so they crisp up.
More Great & Easy Air Fryer Appetizer Recipes-
- AIR FRYER QUESO (MEXICAN CHEESE DIP)
- AIR FRYER DESSERT NACHOS
- BLACKSTONE LOADED GRILLED NACHOS
- AIR FRYER CAJUN FRIED PICKLES
- AIR FRYER ZUCCHINI FRITTERS
- 2 INGREDIENT AIR FRYER PIZZA
- 8 oz Imitation crab flakes
- 8 oz Cream cheese, softened
- 2 stalks of celery, small diced
- 4 green onions, diced
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcheshire sauce
- 12 Egg Roll wrappers
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine crab, cream cheese, diced celery, green onions, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Add 4 tbsp of crab mix diagonally to the center of the egg roll. Fold one corner over the crab mix towards the opposite side, fold both sides over the ends of the crab mix to the center, then tightly roll to the corner.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400* for 5 minutes
- Whisk egg and water in a small bowl. Brush all sides of the egg roll with the egg wash. Place into the air fryer basket in a single layer—Cook for 8 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sweet and sour sauce, and enjoy!
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 434mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g