Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters — This recipe may be called zucchini fritters, but there’s no frying involved. This is a healthy and easy way to get your family to eat their veggies with little fuss. Zucchini can be bland, so we’re adding some flavor using herbs like basil and parsley. These are great served alone or as an appetizer for any meal! This is The Best Air Fryer Fritter Recipe!
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters are one of my husband’s favorite lunches. If you are looking for a great and easy cake, this is a great one, I served it with a creamy dressing on the side, and they are perfectly air fried.
When zucchini season comes, this is one of my favorite zucchini recipes, made within minutes and beautifully crisped up in the air fryer.
There is nothing better than a great Air Fryer Zucchini! Garnished with sour cream, it becomes a great treat! Serve it as an appetizer, side dish, or appetizer, and I guarantee everyone will love it.
What Are Zucchini Fritters or Zucchini Cakes?
They are air fryer zucchini cakes if you have never had a zucchini fritter before. Shredded zucchini from the garden is a great way to make air fryer squash fritters!
Nothing more than either air fryer zucchini cakes or air fryer zucchini patties made with freshly grated zucchini mixed with flour, egg, and scallions, making a great meal or appetizer with few ingredients. The star ingredient is Zucchini. You can not go wrong.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Are you looking for a healthier way to fry your favorite dishes? If so, look no further! Air fryers are an incredibly easy-to-use kitchen appliance that allows you to cook delicious, crunchy meals without all the oil and fat in traditional deep frying.
Below, we’ll discuss how to make air fryer zucchini fritters – a delicious side dish or snack sure to tantalize your taste buds. You won’t need a long list of ingredients either: just some fresh zucchini, breadcrumbs, and spices will do! So let’s get cooking – read on for detailed instructions and ingredient optimization tips so you can perfect this classic recipe every time.
Remember the step-by-step directions and detailed ingredient list are below in the printable recipe card, as well as the nutritional information.
- Zucchini: Fresh zucchini is the star ingredient of these fritters. Grating and squeezing out excess moisture from the zucchini ensures a crisp texture.
- Kosher Salt: Salt is used to season the zucchini and help draw out excess moisture during the preparation process.
- Eggs: Eggs act as a binder, holding the fritters together and providing a rich texture.
- All-Purpose Flour: All-purpose flour helps bind the ingredients and adds structure to the fritters.
- Colby Jack Cheese: Colby Jack cheese imparts the fritters a nutty and savory flavor, enhancing their taste.
- Onion: Chopped onion adds a hint of sweetness and depth of flavor to the fritters.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper adds a subtle kick and enhances flavor.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is used to brush the air fryer basket and fritters, giving them a crisp exterior.
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray Non-stick cooking spray prevents the fritters from sticking to the air fryer basket and ensures easy removal.
Essential Notes on Making Zucchini Fritters or Zucchini Cakes
One of the best things about this recipe is that it is easy to make, and they crisp up amazingly well in the air fryer. But the inside stays moist and delicious.
The hardest part of this recipe is shredding the zucchini. The most important thing I learned about this recipe is that you need to drain the zucchini well. So, after you grate it, roll it up in paper towels and squeeze as much of the excess liquid out as you can.
How To Make Zucchini Fritters In The Air Fryer
Craving something crunchy and delicious? Look no further than zucchini fritters! Not only are they full of flavor, these tasty treats can be prepared in just minutes with the help of an air fryer. Ready to whip up a batch of crispy, golden-brown bites? Read on for our guide on how to make zucchini fritters in an air fryer. We’ll walk you through each step, from prepping the vegetables to creating your signature dipping sauce. So get out your ingredients and get ready to enjoy a delicious dish perfect for game day snacking or everyday dining!
Clean and shred the zucchini. Please place them in a bowl lined with a paper towel to absorb more of the water. With another paper towel, pat the shredded zucchini to get the excess water out as best as possible.
Next, add the cheese, flour, breadcrumbs, salt, onion powder, ground black pepper, dry basil, and minced onion to the zucchini. Mix until all is combined.
Finally, add in the beaten eggs, and you will have to mix the dough with your hands until it forms into a sticky dough that is easy to manipulate.
Use a cookie scoop (I like using a medium OXO 1 ½ tablespoon) and scope up some zucchini mixtures, and form it into balls. You should have 12 zucchini fritter balls.
Use your hand and flatten each zucchini fritter ball into a small but thick pancake.
Place four zucchini fritters in the Air Fryer basket in one cooking. You don’t want to overcrowd the basket for more evenly cooked.
Air Fry the zucchini fritters on a manual setting at 360 degrees F for 9 minutes, then flip them and cook for an additional 8 to 9 minutes or until the zucchini fritters become golden brown.
Once the zucchini fritters are cooked, take them out of the air fryer basket and place them on a cooling rack. Let them cool off for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream, and enjoy!
Pro Tips For Easy Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Here are some pro tips to make easy and delicious Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters:
- Grate and Squeeze Zucchini: After grating the zucchini, squeeze out excess moisture by pressing the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and pressing firmly. Removing excess moisture ensures crispy fritters.
- Salt the Zucchini: Sprinkle salt over the grated zucchini and let it sit for a few minutes before squeezing. This step helps draw out even more moisture from the zucchini.
- Use Freshly Grated Parmesan: For the best flavor, use freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of pre-shredded varieties. The fresh cheese adds a nutty and savory taste to the fritters.
- Don’t Overmix: Mix the ingredients just until combined. Overmixing can release excess moisture from the zucchini and result in soggy fritters.
- Preheat the Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer before adding the fritters. This ensures even cooking and a crispy exterior.
- Brush with Olive Oil: Lightly brush both sides of the fritters. This helps promote a golden and crispy crust.
- Arrange in a Single Layer: Place the fritters in a single layer in the air fryer basket without overlapping. This allows the hot air to circulate evenly.
- Flip During Cooking: Flip the fritters halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning on both sides.
- Serve Fresh and Hot: Air fryer zucchini fritters are best enjoyed fresh and hot, straight from the air fryer. Serve them immediately for the best taste and texture.
- Customize the Seasonings: Feel free to customize the seasonings to suit your taste preferences. Add herbs like dill or basil, or spices like paprika or cayenne for extra flavor.
By following these pro tips, you’ll be able to whip up easy and scrumptious Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters that everyone will love. Enjoy their delightful crispiness and delectable taste! 🥒🍳🍽️
Can I use frozen zucchini for making air fryer fritters?
It’s best to use fresh zucchini for this recipe, as frozen zucchini tends to release more moisture and may affect the texture of the fritters.
Can I make the fritter mixture ahead of time and cook it later?
While it’s possible to prepare the fritter mixture in advance and refrigerate it, it’s recommended to cook the fritters immediately for the best texture and flavor.
How do I prevent the fritters from sticking to the air fryer basket?
To prevent sticking, lightly coat the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray or brush it with a thin layer of oil before adding the fritters.
Can I use gluten-free flour for this recipe?
You can use gluten-free all-purpose flour or almond flour as a substitute for regular flour to make gluten-free air fryer zucchini fritters.
What dipping sauce pairs well with zucchini fritters?
Zucchini fritters go well with dipping sauces such as tzatziki, garlic aioli, or a simple lemony yogurt sauce. Feel free to choose your favorite.
Can I make the fritters in advance and reheat them later?
While it’s best to enjoy fresh zucchini fritters for optimal crispiness, you can reheat them in the air fryer at 350°F (175°C) for a few minutes until they are warmed.
How do I store leftover fritters?
Store any leftover fritters in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven to restore their crispiness before serving.
Can I freeze the uncooked fritter mixture?
It’s not recommended to freeze the uncooked fritter mixture, as freezing may affect the texture of the zucchini.
Can I add other vegetables to the fritters?
You can add other vegetables like grated carrots, shredded potatoes, or bell peppers to the fritter mixture for extra flavor and color.
Can I use a different type of cheese in the fritters?
Absolutely! While Parmesan cheese is commonly used, you can experiment with other hard cheeses like cheddar, gruyere, or pecorino for flavor profiles.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER RED POTATOES RECIPE
- HOW TO REHEAT SWEET POTATO FRIES IN AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER SALT AND VINEGAR POTATO CHIPS
- AIR FRYER FROZEN SWEET POTATO TOTS
Don’t Forget To Pin
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- 4 cups shredded zucchini, 3 zucchinis
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry basil
- ½ teaspoon minced onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Clean and shred the zucchini. Please place them in a bowl lined with a paper towel to absorb more of the water. With another paper towel, pat the shredded zucchini to get the excess water out as best as you can.
- Next, add in the cheese, flour, breadcrumbs, salt, onion powder, ground black pepper, dry basil, and minced onion to the zucchini. Mix until all is combined.
- Finally, add in the beaten eggs, and you will have to mix the dough with your hands until it forms into a sticky dough that is easy to manipulate.
- Use a cookie scoop (I like using a medium OXO 1 ½ tablespoon) and scope up some of the zucchini mixtures and form it into balls. You should have 12 zucchini fritter balls.
- Use your hand and flatten each of the zucchini fritter balls into a small but thick pancake.
- Place 4 zucchini fritters in the Air Fryer basket in one cooking. You don’t want to overcrowd the basket for more evenly cooking.
- Cook the zucchini fritters on a manual setting at 360 degrees F for 9 minutes, then flip them and cook for an additional 8 to 9 minutes or until the zucchini fritters become golden brown.
- Once the zucchini fritters are cook take them out of the air fryer basket and place them on a cooling rack. Let them cool off for 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray
- Parchment Paper, optional
- Colby Jack can be substituted with your favorite kind of cheese
- Plain breadcrumbs can be substituted with panko crumbs or any seasoned breadcrumbs of your choice.
- The spices can be substituted with your own favorite blend