Air Fryer Dessert Taco Shells — Have you ever wondered how to add a delightful twist to your classic tacos? Well, look no further! Have you heard about air fryer dessert taco shells?
If not, prepare for the ultimate way to wrap up all of your favorite sweet treats and enjoy them in a new way.
Air frying takes out all the mess and time associated with traditional taco shell preparation but still delivers irresistible crunchy-on-the-outside soft-on-the-inside creations that make any evening meal or snack infinitely more delicious. So if you are craving something extra special, these air fryers’ dessert taco shells are worth trying.
What Are Dessert Taco Shells
Dessert taco shells are specially made shells or tortillas that are designed to hold sweet fillings and toppings, transforming them into delightful dessert treats. These shells are typically made from ingredients like flour or corn, just like traditional taco shells, but may have a slightly different flavor or texture to complement sweet fillings.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fryer Dessert Taco Shells
Everyone loves tacos, so why not enjoy them for dessert? With a few simple ingredients and an air fryer, you can create crunchy taco-shaped shells that are perfect for stuffing with your favorite sweet fillings like berries or pudding.
Not only are these desserts quick and easy to make, but they can also help curb those late-night cravings without consuming extra calories! Read on to learn all the ingredients needed for delicious air fryer dessert taco shells.
Remember the step-by-step directions are below in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page, as well as the nutritional information.
- Flour Tortillas: Use regular, medium-large flour tortillas
- Egg: Use a large, room-temperature egg
- Graham Cracker Crumbs: Buy crushed or crush the graham crackers yourself.
- Ground Cinnamon: For added flavor
How To Make Dessert Taco Shells In Air Fryer
Dessert tacos are the ultimate sweet treat! They combine all the best flavors of favorite desserts into one bite-size snack. And now, with the help of an air fryer, making them has never been easier. So if you’re looking for a creative way to wow your friends and family with delicious treats, these delectable dessert taco shells will surely hit the spot!
Below, we’ll explore how to make these scrumptious tacos from start to finish so you can savor their delightful taste in no time.
Step One: Cut The Tortillas
Place one tortilla on a flat surface. Using a biscuit cutter (or even a small drinking glass), cut three circles in the tortilla, being careful not to overlap. Repeat with each tortilla until you use up your tortillas.
Step Two: Prepare The Taco Holder
Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F; preheat for 3-5 minutes using the air fryer setting. Fold a piece of foil into three separate sections, pinching the ends to make a sort of “ taco holder.” Place the foil inside the air fryer basket.
Step Three: Coat The Dessert Taco Shells
In a small bowl, crack one egg. In a separate bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, and remaining granulated sugar. Dip a tortilla circle into the egg, letting any excess drip off in the egg bowl. Then dip it into the graham cracker crumb mixture, ensuring it’s fully coated.
Step Four: Air Fry Dessert Taco Shells
Without touching the sides together, fold the sides up together like a taco shell. Place the folded tortilla into one of the sections you made in the foil. Repeat until you have 4-6 taco shells sitting in the foil. None of these should overlap, but it is ok if they touch. Place the foil into the air fryer basket, and cook for about 8-12 minutes.
Step Five: Serving
When they are golden brown and crispy, you can remove them from the heat and place them on a cookie rack to cool. Repeat until you’ve cooked all of the tortillas!
Allow the shells to cool completely before filling.
To create the perfect dessert taco shells in an air fryer, here are some pro tips:
- Choose the right tortillas: Use those suitable for sweet desserts like flour or corn.
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheating the air fryer ensures that the taco shells cook evenly and become crispy. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for preheating time and temperature.
- Shape the shells: To achieve the taco shell shape, you can fold the tortillas in half, pressing the bottom together firmly to create a pocket for the fillings. Alternatively, use taco shell molds specifically designed for air fryers to create the desired shape.
- Use cooking spray or butter: Lightly coat the tortillas with cooking spray or brush them with melted butter. This helps to promote browning and crispiness while preventing sticking.
- Sprinkle with sugar or spices: For added sweetness and flavor, sprinkle the tortillas with sugar, cinnamon, or other desired spices. This step enhances the taste and aroma of the shells.
- Monitor cooking time closely: Cooking times can vary depending on the air fryer model and the desired level of crispness. Keep a close eye on the taco shells as they cook to prevent burning or overcooking. Adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Allow the shells to cool: Once the taco shells are cooked, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool slightly. They will become even crispier as they cool, making them easier to handle and fill.
- Store in an airtight container: If you’re not using the taco shells immediately, store them in an airtight container at room temperature to maintain their crispness and prevent them from becoming stale.
- Fill just before serving: To maintain the crunchiness of the shells; it’s best to fill them just before serving. This ensures that the fillings won’t cause the shells to become soggy.
By following these pro tips, you can create perfectly crispy and delicious dessert taco shells in your air fryer. Fill them with your favorite sweet fillings and toppings for a delightful dessert experience. Enjoy the crispy and sweet goodness!
Can I use store-bought taco shells for air fryer dessert tacos?
While store-bought taco shells can be used for air fryer dessert tacos, they are typically designed for savory fillings and may not have the same sweet flavor or texture as dessert-specific shells. It’s recommended to use tortillas or shells specifically intended for sweet desserts for the best results.
Can I make dessert taco shells in advance?
Making dessert taco shells fresh is generally best for optimal crispness and texture. However, you can prepare the shells in advance and store them in an airtight container at room temperature for a short period. Keep in mind that they may lose some of their crispiness over time.
How do I prevent the taco shells from becoming soggy?
To prevent the taco shells from becoming soggy, make sure to let them cool completely before filling them. If you’re making them ahead of time, store them in an airtight container to maintain their crispness until you’re ready to fill and serve them.
Can I reheat leftover dessert taco shells?
You can reheat leftover dessert taco shells in the air fryer to regain some of their crispness. Preheat the air fryer to a lower temperature, around 300°F (150°C), and warm the shells for a few minutes until they become crispy again. Monitor them closely to avoid overcooking.
Can I use gluten-free tortillas for air fryer dessert tacos?
You can use gluten-free tortillas to make air fryer dessert tacos if you prefer a gluten-free option. Various gluten-free tortilla options are available, such as corn tortillas or gluten-free flour tortillas. Ensure they are suitable for sweet desserts and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Can I use a different appliance, such as a toaster oven, to make dessert tacos?
While the air fryer is commonly used for making dessert tacos, you can use a toaster oven as an alternative. Adjust the cooking time and temperature based on the specific appliance and keep a close eye on the shells to prevent burning or overcooking.
What are some creative fillings for air fryer dessert tacos?
There are numerous creative fillings you can use for air fryer dessert tacos, including ice cream, whipped cream, fruit compotes, Nutella, caramel sauce, chocolate ganache, chopped nuts, sprinkles, and even savory-sweet combinations like bacon and maple syrup. Let your imagination run wild and experiment with different flavor combinations.
Can I make mini-sized dessert tacos in the air fryer?
You can make mini-sized dessert tacos by using smaller tortillas or cutting larger tortillas into smaller rounds. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as mini-sized shells may cook faster than larger ones.
Can I make vegan or dairy-free dessert tacos in the air fryer?
Absolutely! You can make vegan or dairy-free dessert tacos by using plant-based tortillas and fillings such as dairy-free ice cream, coconut cream, or fruit-based fillings. Ensure that all the ingredients you use align with your dietary preferences and restrictions.
How can I present air fryer dessert tacos attractively?
To make your air fryer dessert tacos visually appealing, consider dusting them with powdered sugar, drizzling chocolate or caramel sauce on top, adding colorful sprinkles, or garnishing with fresh fruits. Serving them on a decorative plate or in a taco holder can elevate their presentation.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- AIR FRYER APPLE CRANBERRY CRISP
- AIR FRYER BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE
- PREPARING A BUNDT CAKE IN THE AIR FRYER OR INSTANT POT
- AIR FRYER PEACH DUMP CAKE
- BETTY CROCKER MUG TREATS AIR FRYER
- HOW TO BAKE A CAKE IN THE NINJA FOODI
- AIR FRYER PUMPKIN CAKE POPS
- AIR FRYER COPYCAT PANERA CINNAMON CRUMB COFFEE CAKE
Air Fryer Dessert Taco Shells
- 5 medium-large flour tortilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker, crumbs
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Place one tortilla on a flat surface. Using a biscuit cutter (or even a small drinking glass), cut three circles in the tortilla, being careful not to overlap. Repeat with each tortilla until you use up your tortillas.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F; preheat for 3-5 minutes using the air fryer setting. Fold a piece of foil into three separate sections, pinching the ends to make a sort of “ taco holder.” Place the foil inside the air fryer basket.
- In a small bowl, crack one egg. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, and remaining granulated sugar in a separate bowl. Dip a tortilla circle into the egg, letting any excess drip off in the egg bowl. Then dip it into the graham cracker crumb mixture, ensuring it’s fully coated.
- Without touching the sides together, fold the sides up together like a taco shell. Place the folded tortilla into one of the sections you made in the foil. Repeat until you have 4-6 taco shells sitting in the foil. None of these should overlap, but it is ok if they touch. Place the foil into the air fryer basket, and cook for about 8-12 minutes.
- When they are golden brown and crispy, you can remove them from the heat and place them on a cookie rack to cool. Repeat until you’ve cooked all of the tortillas!
- Allow the shells to cool completely before filling.
- Air Fryer
- Aluminum Foil
- Cooking Spray