Make Easy Chicken Piccata in the air fryer for a quick and delicious weeknight meal. With just a handful of ingredients, you can have a healthy dinner on the table in no time.
Easy Chicken Piccata
Chicken Piccata is one of my favorite Italian dishes. I usually order it when I go out for Italian food. It is such a simple dish to make, but such a delicious one. If you have not tried it, I hope you have time to do so soon!
If you’re looking for an easy chicken dish that’s packed with flavor, look no further than this healthy chicken piccata recipe. Known for its lightly thin and battered chicken and buttery lemon sauce, this Italian dish is easy to make in the air fryer.
The key to making the best chicken piccata is to use fresh lemon juice and capers for a bright, tangy flavor. Serve with your favorite sides for a quick and easy meal your whole family will love.
While you’re here, check out more of my favorite Air Fryer Italian Recipes like AIR FRYER BEEF STROMBOLI, AIR FRYER ITALIAN PORK CHOPS, AIR FRYER ITALIAN BEEF SLIDERS, and AIR FRYER COPYCAT OLIVE GARDEN CHICKEN PARMIGIANA.
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Chicken Piccata
- Simple, fresh ingredients
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Perfectly crispy without any oil
- Easy for weeknights yet fancy enough for guests
- Gluten-free, Keto, and WW versions available
What Is Chicken Piccata?
This lemon caper chicken dish featured pounded chicken cutlets dredged in egg and flour and pan fried until crispy. Once cooked, the crispy chicken pieces are drizzled or simmered in a velvety sauce made with butter, lemon juice, capers, and chicken stock.
With the air fryer, you can enjoy a healthy chicken piccata without all the oil. There are also plenty of variations to this recipe that will meet any of your dietary needs.
Ingredients Needed To Make Lemon Caper Chicken
This chicken piccata air fryer recipe is super easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. You’ll love the crispy, golden brown crust that the air fryer creates. Give it a try today!
- Chicken Breast: Use boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Egg: Use large room temperature eggs
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed is amazing in this dish!
- All-Purpose: If you want to make a gluten-free version of this easy chicken piccata, you can use gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grab a wedge and grate it by hand for best results.
- Unsalted Butter
- Chicken Broth or Stock
- Capers: Find these in a jar near the olive section in the grocery store
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, salt, and parsley
How To Make Healthy Chicken Piccata in the Air Fryer
Air frying is a great way to cook chicken piccata. They come out crispy and delicious every time.
Step 1: Prep the chicken
Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray or line the basket with parchment paper.
Cut your chicken breast in half through the center, then use a kitchen mallet to pound into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
Tip: It’s easier to pound your chicken breast pieces if you wrap or cover them in plastic/saran wrap.
Step 2: Dredge the chicken
First, prepare your dredging stations. In one bowl, mix together the egg, lemon juice, and garlic powder. In another bowl, combine the flour, parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt.
Dip your chicken into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture, coating both sides. As you coat each piece, place it into the air fryer basket.
Step 3: Cook chicken piccata in air fryer
Set the temperature to 370 degrees F and cook the chicken for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway during the cooking process.
Check the internal temperature of the chicken, which must be 165 degrees F, before transferring it to a plate.
Step 4: Make lemon butter caper sauce
While the chicken is cooking, add the butter, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, and the chicken broth to a saucepan. Simmer over low to medium heat until the butter is melted, stirring occasionally.
Step 5: Combine and serve
Drizzle sauce over your healthy chicken piccata and garnish with capers. Enjoy!
- Slicing: Start with boneless breasts of similar thickness, then slice evenly through the center. This will make it easier to pound them to the right thickness, ensuring each piece cooks evenly.
- Flatten: Use a meat mallet to pound the cutlets as flat as you can get it — I aim for 1/4-inch thickness. This also helps tenderize the meat. If you don’t have a mallet, you can use a rolling pin instead.
- Oil: Spritz both sides of the breaded chicken with oil, preferably one with a high smoke point. This will help the pieces crisp up and prevent them from sticking.
- Season: Add your favorite spices to the flour mixture or season the chicken before dredging. This will add flavor and help to seal in moisture.
- Wine: If you’re looking for the best wine to pair with chicken piccata, try Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, or Pinot Grigio. A dry Rosé goes well with the lemon caper chicken sauce, but stay away from sweeter versions.
- Keto: The flour mixture can be replaced by crushed pork rinds. Remember to check the other ingredients to make sure that they are low-carb and keto-friendly!
- Weight Watchers: With a few ingredient switches, you can have a simple WW Chicken Piccata recipe. Use an egg substitute and low-fat Parmesan cheese.
Storing and Reheating
Let air fryer chicken piccata cool to room temperature, as well as the sauce. Store in separate airtight containers and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days.
To Reheat: Add chicken piccata to the air fryer basket and cook at 350 degrees F until warmed through. Reheat the sauce in a small saucepan or in the microwave, then drizzle over the chicken.
What To Serve With Chicken Piccata
When it comes to dinner, sometimes the best option is something simple. Lemon caper chicken is a classic dish that is easy to make and always satisfying.
But what should you serve with it? Here are some ideas that will complement the flavors of the dish perfectly.
- Buttered Noodles
- Air Fryer Roasted Vegetables
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Roasted Spinach
- Air Fryer Mashed Potatoes
What Is The Difference Between Chicken Piccata And Francese?
Both are delicious chicken dishes, but the preparation and flavors are different.
For Piccata, the chicken is dipped in an egg mixture, then in flour. With Francese, the order is reversed — flour, then egg.
Both are simmered in or served with a lemony butter sauce, but Piccata is the only version that includes capers.
Can I Make This Recipe Gluten Free?
Yes! In fact, I started making air fryer chicken piccata because my son loves the dish from Olive Garden, but he has a gluten allergy.
Make a gluten-free version of this easy chicken piccata by using gluten-free flour — that’s it! And, as always, check the rest of your ingredients to be sure they are certified gluten-free.
What Can I Substitute For Capers In Lemon Butter Sauce?
If you’re not a fan of capers, try chopped green olives for a similar briny flavor. You can also leave the capers out entirely and enjoy the buttery citrus sauce as it is!
Do I Need To Flip The Chicken When Air Frying?
Yes — whether you are making this easy chicken piccata recipe or another chicken dish, you’ll always want to flip the pieces about halfway through cooking. This guarantees that they cook evenly and crisp on both sides.
More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes:
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN THIGH SCHNITZEL
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
- EASY AIR FRYER CHICKEN FAJITA BURRITOS
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN PARMESAN MEATBALLS
- AIR FRYER CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS
Easy Chicken Piccata in the Air Fryer
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons capers, drained
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray, or line the basket with parchment paper. Cut your chicken breast in half, then using a kitchen mallet, pound your chicken into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Tip: It's easier to pound your chicken breast if you wrap or cover them in plastic/saran wrap.
- Prepare your dredging stations, in one bowl, add the egg, lemon juice, and garlic powder, and mix well. In another bowl add the flour, Parmesan Cheese, parsley, and salt.
- Then dip your chicken into the egg mixture, and then into the flour mixture. As you coat your chicken place the chicken into the air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 370 degrees F, and cook the chicken for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway during the cooking process. Check the internal temperature of the chicken, which must be 165 degrees F, before removing your chicken.
- How To Make The Lemon Caper Butter Sauce
- While the chicken is cooking, make your sauce. In a small saucepan add the butter, 3 tablespoons of lemon juice, and the chicken broth. Over low to medium heat, simmer the sauce, and then drizzle over the sauce, garnish with capers.
- Air Fryer
- Mallet (Kitchen)
- Saran Wrap