Air Fryer Apple Pie Bombs are amazing! Sweet biscuit dough filled with apple pie filling, air fried until golden brown, and then coated in ground sugar and cinnamon — absolutely delicious! This is such an easy fall dessert, and it’s all cooked up in a matter of minutes!
Apple Pie Bombs
I love a great homemade mini apple pie recipe, and this is a fun new twist that you can do with your kids. There is nothing better than making something special for breakfast. And although this is not completely homemade, the kids appreciate it, and I love it. These air fryer apple pie bombs are a total staple in our house.
I love baking — I always have. Imagine my delight when I discovered that I can bake these apple pie bombs up perfectly in minutes with my air fryer!
If you’re just as obsessed with your air fryer as I am, don’t miss my other easy Apple Pie-Inspired Air Fryer Recipes, like AIR FRYER APPLE PIE BAKED OATMEAL, AIR FRYER APPLE PIE SCONES, AIR FRYER APPLE PIE SPICE DROP COOKIES, and AIR FRYER FRENCH APPLE PIE CRULLERS!
Why You’ll Love These Mini Apple Pie Bites
- A unique update on apple pie
- Perfect for breakfast or a snack
- Sweet and tasty
- Easy to make with kids
What Are Air Fryer Apple Pie Bombs?
Apple pie bombs are nothing more than biscuit dough (usually store-bought) filled with an apple pie filling. The dough is then wrapped around the pie filling and air fried — like mini apple pie donut holes!
For this recipe, I dipped the apple pie bombs into a sweet and savory coating of granulated sugar and ground cinnamon!
I have been making them for years. My mother used to make them in the oven, and I believe she found the original recipe on a package of biscuit dough from Pillsbury.
Ingredients Needed For This Mini Apple Pie Recipe
- Apple Pie Filling – Cut the slices of apples for the pie filling into smaller pieces.
- Can of Biscuits – Use Grand Biscuits, Crescent Rolls, refrigerated pie crust, or Crescent Dough.
- Granulated Sugar – For a sweeter treat, you can use brown sugar.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Nonstick Cooking Spray
How to Make Air Fryer Apple Pie Bombs
Step 1: Recipe prep
In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and ground cinnamon, then set aside. Remove the biscuit dough from the can and separate the biscuits into 15 to 16 layers.
With the help of a rolling pin, roll them out so you have an even 4-inch circle. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the apple pie filling into the center of each circle.
Step 2: Shape the dough
Use your hands to pinch the biscuit closed in a ball shape so that it looks like a mini apple pie donut hole.
Step 3: Roll out the apple pie bombs
Roll over the table to finish shaping the ball. Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
Step 4: Air fry
Either use parchment paper or spray your basket with cooking spray. Set the uncooked mini apple pie bites into the air fryer, and spray generously with cooking spray.
Air fry at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 8-9 minutes or until golden brown.
Step 5: Roll in the cinnamon sugar
Dip each mini apple pie donut hole into the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture until coated on all sides.
- One of the most important steps is to use your fingers and really pinch the ends, so the pie filling does not leak out.
- If you find that dough frequently sticks to your basket, use a piece of parchment paper to line the basket.
- You can also use homemade biscuit dough and the mini apple pie recipe will taste the same.
- I usually dice the apple filing into small pieces.
Can I Make Apple Pie Donut Holes In The Oven or Convection Oven?
Yes, my mother was making these for years, before air fryers were even invented! They are easy to make and are a great baking project for the kids.
Make them as directed, but place them on a greased baking sheet instead of in your air fryer. Bake for 15-17 minutes in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F.
After they’re done, dip them into melted butter, and roll them into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
What Biscuits Do You Use For Air Fryer Mini Apple Pies?
Since you need to separate the biscuits, you should really use Grands by Pillsbury since the dough splits easily.
If you only have regular biscuits, don’t worry about splitting them — it will not be an easy process. However, this will increase your cooking time by a couple of minutes since your dough is thicker.
How To Store And Reheat Apple Pie Bombs With Biscuits
These do not store well, but if you do have any leftovers, let them cool to room temperature. Then, place them into a Ziploc bag or airtight container.
Leave them at room temperature, where they will last a day or two.
If you would like to warm them up before serving, either heat them in the microwave for a couple of seconds or heat them in the air fryer at 300 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 1 to 2 minutes.
What Other Fillings Can I Use?
Once you make these mini apple pie bites you will want to keep on making them — they are that good! My kids and I have experimented with the following fillings with great results:
- Cherry Pie Filling
- Peach Pie Filling
- Blueberry Pie Filling
- Almond Pie Filling
- Raspberry Pie Filling
Note: Don’t use jams as they are too thin and will not give you the same taste.
How To Serve Mini Apple Pies
Mini apple pies are a sweet and delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion. This recipe is simple to follow and only requires a few ingredients.
You can serve it with vanilla ice cream, warm caramel sauce, or even a bit of cinnamon mixture on top! All the flavors of an apple pie in minutes!
Serve these apple pie treats at your next party or gathering, and your guests will be sure to enjoy these sweet treats!
More Air Fryer Apple Pie Recipes:
- AIR FRYER FROZEN APPLE PIE
- AIR FRYER APPLE PIE PIZOOKIE
- HOW TO REHEAT APPLE PIE IN AIR FRYER
- AIR FRYER APPLE PIE BAKED APPLES
- AIR FRYER APPLE PIE EGG ROLLS
Air Fryer Apple Pie Bombs
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 1 can Grand's Biscuit Dough
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted and melted
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and ground cinnamon, set aside. Remove the biscuit dough from the can and separate it into 15 to 16 layers. With the help of a rolling pin, roll them out, so you have even circles about 5 inches each. Spoon 1 tablespoon of pie filling into the middle.
- Use your hands to pinch the biscuit closed in a ball shape.
- Roll over the table to finish shaping the ball. Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
- Either use parchment paper or spray your basket with cooking spray. Set the dough into the air fryer, and spray generously with cooking spray. Air fry at 350 degrees F, air fryer setting, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dip each ball into the melted butter, and then roll into the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Plate, serve, and enjoy!
- Air Fryer
- Cooking Spray, or Parchment Paper
- You can use store-bought apple pie filling. Just chop the apple pieces, so they are smaller
- You can also make you brown homemade apple pie filling by using 2 apples, finely chopped, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons apple pie spice, and 3 tablespoons water, and microwave for 2 minutes, or until the apples are soft and the mixture is thickened.